ICom A-5 Question - Battery Level Indicator

Old November 29th 03, 12:17 AM
Harry Gordon

Default ICom A-5 Question - Battery Level Indicator

Happy belated Thanksgiving everyone. Hope you didn't over eat like I did
:-( or :-) depending on your perspective.

A month or so ago, I purchased the ICom A-5. It came with the rechargeable
battery. I have read a lot about that battery so I know that it leaves some
to be desired.

After I charged it the first time, I was able to use my radio for several
hours before the low battery indicator symbol was displayed. Well, I
recharged the battery using my wall charger (the slow one), and left it
charging all this past weekend. Today I turned it on and listened to it for
about 15 minutes when the low battery indicator symbol again displayed.

My question is this, I recall reading where it comes on pretty quick, but is
it expected to come on that quick especially given the fact this is only the
second time I have charged that battery????

Hope that question makes sense.

Thanks.

Harry
PP-ASEL

Old November 29th 03, 12:47 AM
Cecil E. Chapman

Sounds like an issue with 'memory' to me. Some (usually the older style
Ni-Cads) can build up what is often referred to as 'memory'. Sometimes
switching to a charger that has a discharge button will do the trick (i.e.,
you put the battery on the charger, press the discharge button and then
charge normally). If the battery is still under warranty, I would ask for a
no-cost replacement. It is too soon for it to be exhibiting problems like
the one you described IMHO.

Good Flights!

Cecil E. Chapman, Jr.
PP-ASEL

"We who fly do so for the love of flying.
We are alive in the air with this miracle
that lies in our hands and beneath our feet"

- Cecil Day Lewis-

Check out my personal flying adventures: www.bayareapilot.com

Old November 29th 03, 01:35 AM
Harry Gordon

Cecil,

Thanks. I failed to mention that the battery that it came with is the type
that does not have a memory. It can be recharged at any level. In the mean
time, I have it back on my charger again. I may end up asking for another
battery.

Harry

m...

Old November 29th 03, 02:23 AM
COUGARNFW

Harry...

Amazing how often the charger is forgotten and assumed to be perfect.

Your symptom suggests that the charger isn't...charging.

Check before giving grief to Icom.

Neal
Old November 29th 03, 03:11 AM
Morgans

"Harry Gordon" wrote in message
Cecil,

Thanks. I failed to mention that the battery that it came with is the type
that does not have a memory. It can be recharged at any level. In the mean
time, I have it back on my charger again. I may end up asking for another
battery.

Harry

First of all, there is no such thing as a NiCad with no memory problems.
Any other thing being said is all marketing. If they are NiMH, then the
memory problem is about gone, but they self discharge more quickly, and are
even more sensitive about overcharges.

If you left it on the charger all weekend, you may have grossly overcharged
and fried the battery. The possibility exists that the charger is not
putting enough juice out.

You need to get creative, and find a way to get a meter in-line, and measure
the volts of the charger, while it is charging, and also the milli amps it
is putting out while it is charging.

Best advice is to get a smart charger to charge the thing. One source is a
place like tower hobbies, like the kind of charger used on RC airplanes and
cars. Then you will know that you have a full charge, without frying the
battery.

Old November 29th 03, 04:21 AM
BTIZ

best advice is to use the "factory charger"

I had an ICOM-22 with the NiCD, the battery lasted about 2yrs in normal
weekend operations, and would last 10hours on a charge..

I replaced it with NiMH, same charger, higher battery amp rating. No
problems, lasts 10-12 hours or more on a single charge.

We use it for "ramp operations" and "aircraft radio" at the local glider
club.

Sounds like you got a bad battery

BT

Old November 29th 03, 04:53 AM
tony roberts

A month or so ago, I purchased the ICom A-5. It came with the rechargeable
battery. I have read a lot about that battery so I know that it leaves some
to be desired.

Hi Harry
If you carry the A5 for use in an emergency, then no matter what other
replies you receive here - go and buy an AA battery back.

If you are ever sitting out in the boonies, trying to contact help you
will be glad you did, because it just may save your life.
My flight bag always contains lots of AA batteries - for GPS,
Communications and Flashlights. You can't charge that stupid
rechargeable battery when you are sitting next to your wrecked aircraft
waiting for help - but you can put some neww AA batteries in.

Tony Roberts
PP-ASEL
VFR OTT
Night
Almost Instrument
Cessna 172H C-GICE
Old November 29th 03, 01:29 PM
Harry Gordon

Tony,
The AA battery pack also came with the radio...it is loaded with batteries
and there are extras in my flight bag. My mamma didn't raise no dummy :-).
In fact it was the accessory deal that was offered that was the clincher on
buying it. I really like the A-5. Fortunately, when I was using it I was on
the ground eating lunch and listening to the traffic.

Harry

Old November 29th 03, 01:34 PM
Harry Gordon

The battery that is in the A-5 is a Ni-MH 76 mAh. I plugged it back in
yesterday afternoon and just now rechecked it and either the charger isn't
working or the battery is no good, for whatever reason. I am going to stop
by a big electronics repair/sales store today and see if they can test my
charger and go from there. I will also look for the in-line charge meter
someone suggested.

Harry

Old November 29th 03, 01:37 PM
Harry Gordon

Neal,

Amazing how often the charger is forgotten and assumed to be perfect.

You're right. But you have to start with some kind of assumption when
troubleshooting a problem.

Your symptom suggests that the charger isn't...charging.

Check before giving grief to Icom.

I'm going to get the charger checked today. Thanks for the suggestion. And I
don't like to give "grief" to people...I generally end up with more than I
give :-).

Harry

Handheld battery question RobsSanta General Aviation 8 September 19th 04 03:07 PM
Horsepower required for level flight question... BllFs6 Home Built 17 March 30th 04 12:18 AM
icom A5 question Brendan Grace Instrument Flight Rules 3 December 15th 03 07:49 PM
Battery Chargers Mike Rapoport Owning 11 December 2nd 03 11:55 PM
Icom CM-35 Desktop Battery Charger for Icom IC-A2 Radio A. Kay Aviation Marketplace 0 August 23rd 03 08:01 AM