Winch Hardware - To swivel or not swivel

Old June 28th 05, 06:14 PM
John G. Harte

Default Winch Hardware - To swivel or not swivel

Our club is fortunate enough to have a winch, and a large number of ground
launch endorsed pilots.

We use a steel cable and encounter some kinking and twisting at the glider
end of the setup. Last weekend we installed a swivel in line before the cg
hook and were initially pleased with the first several launches; however,
after several more, we encountered even more twisting and kinking, but,
alas, the kinking and twisting occurred in that portion of the cable that
was descending after release.

Has anyone had experience with swivel installations?

Input would be greatly appreciated.

jgh

Old June 28th 05, 06:28 PM
John Wilton

John,

If you are using a free-running swivel with stranded cable I believe that
the problem is that as the cable is put under tension the six outer strands
will try to unwind from around the inner strand. Unfortunately in their
unwound state they are now longer than the inner strand so they shed their
load onto the inner strand which will probably break - trashing the cable.
A better option is to use a lock-up swivel that will not rotate when under
launch tension but will rotate after release to allow the cable parachute to
spin (as they do) without winding up the cable.

Hope this helps,
John Wilton

link.net...

Old June 29th 05, 12:53 AM
Bill Daniels

"John G. Harte" wrote in message
link.net...
Our club is fortunate enough to have a winch, and a large number of ground
launch endorsed pilots.

We use a steel cable and encounter some kinking and twisting at the glider
end of the setup. Last weekend we installed a swivel in line before the

cg
hook and were initially pleased with the first several launches; however,
after several more, we encountered even more twisting and kinking, but,
alas, the kinking and twisting occurred in that portion of the cable that
was descending after release.

Has anyone had experience with swivel installations?

Input would be greatly appreciated.

jgh

My experience is that swivels just don't help that much. Stranded steel
will twist and kink and then break at the kinks no matter what you do. It's
just really mean stuff.

The best idea is to convert to Spectra/Dyneema. Since it is a hollow braid
it doesn't twist or kink. The bonus is that you get 15 - 20 % higher
launches. No one who is using it would ever go back to steel.

Bill Daniels

Old June 29th 05, 01:13 AM
F.L. Whiteley

John G. Harte wrote:

Our club is fortunate enough to have a winch, and a large number of ground
launch endorsed pilots.

We use a steel cable and encounter some kinking and twisting at the glider
end of the setup. Last weekend we installed a swivel in line before the
cg hook and were initially pleased with the first several launches;
however, after several more, we encountered even more twisting and
kinking, but, alas, the kinking and twisting occurred in that portion of
the cable that was descending after release.

Has anyone had experience with swivel installations?

Input would be greatly appreciated.

jgh

Tost recommends that the swivel only be used when pulling out the wire rope,
not under launch tension.

I've found that putting a 'set' into the wire rope when new and every few
hundred launches also helps. We attach the wire rope to a vehicle and give
it a good hard static load.

Frank
Old June 29th 05, 10:21 AM
Bill Gribble

F.L. Whiteley writes
Has anyone had experience with swivel installations

I'm no expert, and I'm sure somebody else from my club will correct me
if I'm wrong, but I believe we use three locking swivels in our setup,
one between the plastic-sheathed strop and the thick connecting rope,
another between the rope and drogue chute, and the third between the
drogue and the stranded steel cable used by our Skylaunch winches.

I do know, within my experience at least, that the setup appears to be
very effective in that we don't have any problems with twisting or
kinking in the cables.

--
Bill Gribble
http://www.scapegoatsanon.demon.co.uk
Old June 29th 05, 12:58 PM
GM

John G. Harte wrote:
Our club is fortunate enough to have a winch, and a large number of ground
launch endorsed pilots.

We use a steel cable and encounter some kinking and twisting at the glider
end of the setup. Last weekend we installed a swivel in line before the cg
hook and were initially pleased with the first several launches; however,
after several more, we encountered even more twisting and kinking, but,
alas, the kinking and twisting occurred in that portion of the cable that
was descending after release.

Has anyone had experience with swivel installations?

Input would be greatly appreciated.

jgh

John,

our club had a free swivel installed on the retrieve vehicle's hookup.
The drouge chutes were detached and only the cables were hooked up.
Retrieving the cables with a slight drag on the drum allowed the cables
to unwind, if they wanted.
What kind of cable are you using?
I guess it also makes a difference how you transfer a new cable from
the factory reel to your drum. We would suspend the cable reel in front
of the winch between two saw-horses and slowley take it up onto the
drum. Our winch picked up the cable over the top, so the factory reel
paid it off from the bottom. Theory here was to try to counter the
natural curl. The cable was then paid out and retrieved around 10 times
with the swivel installed and the resistance gradually increased to
pre-stretch it. As far as I can remember, we did not see the kind of
kinking you are describing.

Safe winching,

Uli Neumann

Old June 29th 05, 02:39 PM
Nick Hill

Bill Gribble wrote:
F.L. Whiteley writes

Has anyone had experience with swivel installations

I'm no expert, and I'm sure somebody else from my club will correct me
if I'm wrong, but I believe we use three locking swivels in our setup,
one between the plastic-sheathed strop and the thick connecting rope,
another between the rope and drogue chute, and the third between the
drogue and the stranded steel cable used by our Skylaunch winches.

I do know, within my experience at least, that the setup appears to be
very effective in that we don't have any problems with twisting or
kinking in the cables.

I believe the swivel on our winch cables lock under tension, i.e. locked
during a launch but free once the glider is off the cable to allow the
drogue chute to rotate without twisting the cable when winding in.

Nick Hill
Old June 29th 05, 03:07 PM
Stefan

From the Tost homepage:

"Use swivel only if necessary, and then only for unwinding cable, never
while launching."

Stefan

Swivel On Winch Cable John Sp Soaring 2 April 20th 05 12:11 PM
Winch give-away KP Soaring 6 January 11th 05 08:04 PM
Aerotow with Diesel engine? Olfert Cleveringa Soaring 44 November 2nd 04 10:22 AM
Winch Physics Bob Johnson Soaring 15 March 27th 04 07:33 PM
using winch instead of aerotow goneill Soaring 5 August 27th 03 02:46 PM