Commercial - New LX7007

Old June 30th 05, 02:36 PM
Jack

T o d d P a t t i s t wrote:

Paul has a tendency to be bit more aggressive.

And T o d d has a tendency to be a bit of a net-nanny.

Jack
Old June 30th 05, 03:27 PM
Don Johnstone

It's why I did it Todd, to demonstrate that my post
is within the rules yet Paul's is not. They both convey
the same message and they are definitely something
that we as glider pilots want to know about and could
be an advantage to us. In those circumstances I feel
that we could 'cut him a little slack'. Paul has been
honest and completely up front bringing something to
our notice. While I accept that there are rules to
prevent abuse such a one off and advantageous offer
is newsworthy as well as being of commerical use.

Please accept my post was not a swipe at anyone, just
a humourous comment on quirky rules.

Having said that I can also see the need to not let
the forum develop into a series of adverts. Perhaps
a private e-mail to 'transgressors' would be more friendly
and if that did not work a puplic flogging could follow.

Now Paul, about that free................. :-)

At 13:36 30 June 2005, T O D D P A T T I S T wrote:
Don, as long as you have no financial interest in Paul's
business, you have every right to post this. If it
was done
this way, I would not have commented. It's not the
information I objected to, it was the direct and clear
violation of a rule I think is important by someone
who knew
he was violating the rule when he posted. If you think
Paul's offer is noteworthy and want to comment on it,
you
are free to do so.

Contrast Paul's commercial post with Tim Mara's last
post.
IIRC, Tim posted something like: 'Gee I'm sorry for
posting
this commercial message, but I'd like anyone to know
that
the manufacturer of the whatsit is allowing a free
exchange
of their old model whatsit for the improved current
model
whatsit.' Since Tim made no money from the free exchange,
it was not a commercial post and did not violate the
rules,
but TIm was still concerned enough to apologize for
what
might have been seen as a commercial post since it
came from
a commercial entity.

Don Johnstone
wrote:

I have just heard some very good news, Paul Remde at
Cumulus Soaring, Inc. http://www.cumulus-soaring.com/lx.htm
has a really good deal on the LX7000 Pro ICG. The LX7007
Pro IGC is the newest version of what was previously
the LX7000 Pro IGC. The new version offers a faster
processor, more memory (I think) for waypoints, airspace
and flight logs, and can provide 5V power for a Pocket
PC.

He is now offering the LX7000 Pro IGC unit at a reduced
price of $3995 (US $) which is $500 below the market
price.

This was such good news that even thought I live in
the UK I had to share it with you.

DJ
ASW17 401
Norfolk UK

Ps I am not selling anything at all.

T o d d P a t t i s t - 'WH' Ventus C
(Remove DONTSPAMME from address to email reply.)

Old June 30th 05, 03:55 PM
Gary Emerson

Todd,

Get over it. There really isn't any problem with excess commercial
posts on RAS. You seem to only pick on Paul and it just makes you look
like a jerk and ultimately generates a lot more visibility for Paul's site.

Gary

Old June 30th 05, 04:52 PM
Tim Mara

I have to agree with Todd on this one too....
I also frequent RAS, don't post too much, but try to when I can offer some
technical advice, help finding someone or something and so on.....as I
believe RAS was intended.
I don't answer SPAM emails, use my paper shredding machine for most mail
from Citibank, and yes from AARP and the like...since I consider all of
these as invasions to my privacy just as I do commercial posts on
non-commercial newsgroups.
I have slipped in the past but took any criticism as friendly and
constructive. If this newsgroup allows commercial posting even from us
privileged few it will eventually diminish the useful purpose it was
intended for. I know others understand this and I hope they will respect and
restrain as well.
Tim
(signature withheld.....you know who I am and where to find me )

m...

Old July 1st 05, 06:54 AM
OscarDelta

Seems to me that the usenet rules regarding commercial posting is in
some way intended to reduce waste of bandwidth, since that is what
"costs". Looks to me like the bandwidth taken up by complaining about
rule bending and rebuttals to the complaining and rebuttals to the
rebuttals, is far greater than that taken up by the rule bending in the
first place. Guess I just feel compelled to add to the waste, and
chuckle at the absurdity of the whole mess. Tim and Tom, I wish you
would join in the rule bending advertising, because I don't get
nearly enough news about the latest gliding related products unless I
spend more of my precious time seeking it out.

Anyone heard from lennie lately?

Old July 1st 05, 09:47 AM
jonnyboy

Gary Emerson wrote:
Todd,

Get over it. There really isn't any problem with excess commercial
posts on RAS. You seem to only pick on Paul and it just makes you look
like a jerk and ultimately generates a lot more visibility for Paul's site.

No, you get over it.
This forum has rules -you don't like that - find another.

Jonny.

Old July 1st 05, 09:51 AM
jonnyboy

Raphael Warshaw wrote:
most of us are not bothered by these postings

I wonder, why is that?

duuuuh, because most people respect the rules?

Jonny.
I wear elephant repellant every day - sure it stinks but I ain't been
bothered by no elephants.

Old July 1st 05, 04:19 PM
Raphael Warshaw

There's an older gentleman who walks our neighborhood with a camera and a
yardstick checking whether our hedge clippings stick out above the rim of
the trash cans, how long the grass is, and if cars parked in our driveways
extend even inches onto the sidewalks. He makes a great show of writing it
all down and then reports, in great detail I'm told, to the police and to
city hall. As you might imagine, they pretty much ignore him. I've been
known to tweak him by leaving a twig or two sticking out or by parking the
pickup right at the edge of the sidewalk. He actually checks for vertical
by placing the yardstick against the trailer ball and sighting down it to
the edge of the sidewalk. Great fun to watch.

The city, on the other hand, will, on rare occasions and in response to
egregious behavior, put a note on a trash can. The police will, also very
occasionally, ticket a car that completely blocks the sidewalk. Aside from
the loss of entertainment value, this seems like a more workable solution
to me.

Ray Warshaw

"jonnyboy" wrote in message
ups.com...

Old July 1st 05, 04:48 PM
jonnyboy

Raphael Warshaw wrote:
There's an older gentleman who walks our neighborhood with a camera and a
yardstick checking whether our hedge clippings stick out above the rim of
the trash cans, how long the grass is, and ..........

thats your dad that is.
(I take your point)
Jonny.

Old July 1st 05, 05:06 PM
Raphael Warshaw

Wish it was (my dad, that is); I think I'm older than the gentleman in
question.

Ray Warshaw

"jonnyboy" wrote in message
ups.com...