New Products for Sailplanes.

Old July 1st 05, 03:44 PM

Default New Products for Sailplanes.

I personally want to know when a new product comes out for our sport.
There are not that many new products that come out annually.
I read this forum more than any other sailplane website out there and
if I am thinking about buying a $4000.00 dollar flight computer then I
want to know if there is anything new or upcoming that's getting ready
to hit the market.

Maybe we should have a "new products" link on our newsgroup. It would
be a service to most of us and it would be beneficial to most.

I think we should vote to let Commercials on our newsgroup. If you do
not want to read the commercial... then don't. All this bickering
because someone advertised a Hot New Product seems ridicules to me.
Just my humble opinion.

Jerz

Old July 1st 05, 05:09 PM
pbc76049

Regardless, however, if commercial posts were allowed here,
where would you draw the line? Are Powerbar and food ads
OK? How about waterbottles, lithium grease, kitchen
cleaners, pot scrubbers, towels, plastic buckets, sponges,
car polish, nuts/bolts/hardware, funnels, syringes, rubber
tubing, brooms, diapers, paint, pantyhose, baggies, air
pumps, aluminum sheet, carpets, duct and electrical tape, to
name just a small subset of items used on or with my glider?

Remember that Commercial Posts are posts started by the advertiser.
If I was selling something and posted it here it wouldn't be kosher because
I would be trolling for business. If however, somebody specifically asked
for information about something I am selling, I see no problem with
responding
to the question. That isn't a sales pitch. A poster asked a question and
I gave an answer. Unfortunately it is an etiquette thing and how you
handle it is very important. Some may feel differently, but one thing
gentlemen do is to disagree agreeably.......... Have a great day.

Scott.

Old July 1st 05, 07:57 PM
Don Johnstone

At 16:12 01 July 2005, T O D D P A T T I S T wrote:
This is debatable. Perhaps Paul or Tim could tell
us how
many new or improved products they sell show up in
a year.
Regardless, however, if commercial posts were allowed
here,
where would you draw the line? Are Powerbar and food
OK? How about waterbottles, lithium grease, kitchen
cleaners, pot scrubbers, towels, plastic buckets, sponges,
car polish, nuts/bolts/hardware, funnels, syringes,
rubber
tubing, brooms, diapers, paint, pantyhose, baggies,
air
pumps, aluminum sheet, carpets, duct and electrical
tape, to
name just a small subset of items used on or with my
glider?

OK Todd, my small brain has gone into overload. Lithium
grease, syringes, rubber tubing, panty hose and air
pumps. Is there something about gliding I am missing?
:-)

Old July 1st 05, 11:25 PM
Vaughn

wrote in message
oups.com...
I personally want to know when a new product comes out for our sport.
There are not that many new products that come out annually.

Not only that, but there are damn few people with sufficiently bad business
sense, (or with sufficient love for the sport) to base their future on serving
the soaring community. Within reason, we should give these rare folks a break.
If that means changing our group charter to allow (say) a monthly commercial
message, so be it. If I am totally wrong and it somehow does not work out, we
could always change it back.

I consider myself an anti-spam militant, but I (for one) have no problem
with the occasional, polite, on-topic commercial message on RAS. I understand
that others differ with me on this point, so please accept this as one person's
vote.

Vaughn

Old July 2nd 05, 03:57 PM
Tim Mara

it of course isn't obvious to the newsgroup, but typically, I try (and
suggest others do also) to answer "most" questions about products I offer,
"in private" emails" (responding only to poster) so as not to offend others
or be too "commercial" Not everyone has the same "need to know" and unless
it is something of general interest, I also believe this newsgroup should
remain "commercial free". I hope some will indulge me if I should make a
rare "announcement" if there is something of interest to all....like a new
fix, or announcement of relevance like new glider release that they may not
see timely otherwise..not as a sale promotion, we have other means for our
own "paid" advertisements..but in fairness to all, rules like the
non-commercial postings on this newsgroup are made, normally only when
someone abuses the system, so allowing one or occasional postings for
commercial purposes by one or a few isn't really possible without opening
the floodgates. I hope all do understand and will use this privilege as a
way to keep this newsgroup worthy of it's participants and for the purpose
originally intended.
Best Regards
Tim
Wings & Wheels

"T o d d P a t t i s t" wrote in message
"pbc76049" wrote:

Remember that Commercial Posts are posts started by the advertiser.
If I was selling something and posted it here it wouldn't be kosher
because
I would be trolling for business. If however, somebody specifically asked
for information about something I am selling, I see no problem with
responding to the question. That isn't a sales pitch.

I agree completely.

A poster asked a question and
I gave an answer. Unfortunately it is an etiquette thing and how you
handle it is very important. Some may feel differently, but one thing
gentlemen do is to disagree agreeably..........

And again, I couldn't agree more.

Have a great day.

It's difficult not to have one - It's Friday before a
holiday weekend, I'm planning to take an extra day off, and
after 10 days of bad weather, the soaring forecast for the
weekend is particularly good.

T o d d P a t t i s t - "WH" Ventus C
(Remove DONTSPAMME from address to email reply.)

Old July 2nd 05, 10:16 PM
Don Johnstone

At 05:30 02 July 2005, T O D D P A T T I S T wrote:
Don Johnstone
wrote:

OK Todd, my small brain has gone into overload. Lithium
grease, syringes, rubber tubing, panty hose and air
pumps. Is there something about gliding I am missing?
:-)

I tried to throw the odd and unusual into the list
from my 'kit.' I forgot the Texas condom, and you
didn't
think the diapers were odd? I've only got the cloth
ones
(canopy wipes) but a friend has those and the absorbent
paper type (cut 'em up and toss in plastic bag for
leak-free
waste liquid disposal).

Lithium grease for the main pin, syringe and tubing
for
applying suction/pressure to leak check TE system,
air pump
for the wheel, panty hose for ...... first one to get
that
right gets the gold star. Hint - souvenir of a record
flight.

T o d d P a t t i s t - 'WH' Ventus C
(Remove DONTSPAMME from address to email reply.)

Todd, forgive me, I was thinking along the lines that
if you used the items I mentioned you might have need
of the diapers. I was just too polite to mention it.
Souvenir of a record flight - panty hose? The mind
boggles :-)

Old July 4th 05, 09:27 AM
Graeme Cant

Vaughn wrote:

I consider myself an anti-spam militant, but I (for one) have no problem
with the occasional, polite, on-topic commercial message on RAS. I understand
that others differ with me on this point, so please accept this as one person's
vote.

In that case, I feel safe in mentioning a GPS/Vario system I just came
across. Especially since I have absolutely no financial interest in it.
It was used recently with some success in the PreWorlds in Sweden. It
looks a neatly integrated package complete with card slot so it doesn't
need anything to be brought to the glider and you don't have to balance
a laptop on the cockpit side until it drops on the bitumen.

I think that the larger screen integrating several instruments is the
way things will go - just like they have in real aeroplanes.

It was mentioned here last October - although I missed it then - and the
unknown producer seemed to be held against it. Perhaps the commercial
ups and downs of some well-known names in the last year or so makes that
argument weaker than it once might have been. Worth a look and worth
watching.

www.glider.it

Graeme Cant

Vaughn