OSH North 40 party

Old July 28th 05, 03:49 PM
Jim Burns

Default OSH North 40 party

Over 50 people dropped by Jay and Mary's campsite in the North 40 at OSH for
the annual rec.aviation party Wednesday evening.

I'll leave the full report & pictures for Jay to make upon his return, but I
just wanted to say the turn out was great. The party started early with a
few people dropping in during the airshow then lasted well after dark.

Jay should have a list of all the attendees as he was seen diligently
takeing down names.

Special thanks goes to Ryan W who orchestrated the permissions and oversight
needed to invade the North 40 with all of the party necessities!

An extra special thanks goes to Montblack for driving from OSH to our house
and back Wednesday to haul our grill and extra supplies to the party AND for
buying over two grocery carts full of great food!

It was really great being able to put some faces with the names and to talk
with pilots and familys from all over.

For anybody still headed to OSH, be sure to drop by Jay and Mary's campsite
and say howdy or leave them a note. They are at the very south end of row
540 in the North 40, 3 or 4 rows west of the red showers.

Jim Burns

Old July 28th 05, 04:32 PM
Peter R.

Jim Burns wrote:

snip
For anybody still headed to OSH, be sure to drop by Jay and Mary's campsite
and say howdy or leave them a note.

So, I take it all of the OSH campers survived what appeared to be pretty
strong t-storms at the beginning of the week?

--
Peter

Old July 28th 05, 04:52 PM
Jim Burns

Lots of reports of soggy sleeping bags, wet tents, and water logged
supplies. 3 inches of rain fell at OSH, I had from 1.5 to 3.5, south of me
there was 5 to 7 inches. No reports of wind damage at OSH, by the time the
storm reached OSH, the winds had died down significantly, they were 75-80mph
as reported by the weather channel when it passed Eau Claire, WI. When it
passed us, winds were down to 30mph, and I heard they weren't that strong at
OSH. Lots of lightning with the storm.
Jim

Old July 29th 05, 02:49 AM
Carl Orton

Well, almost no damage....

There was an Ercoupe in the display area between the back of Display Hangar
"C" and the Fly Market that had a canopy fall on it and smash in the back
window frame pretty bad.

We flew in on Saturday in a Baron; the nose baggage compartment was pretty
soaked after the rain. Nothing ruined, but alot of dry-out required.

Old July 29th 05, 03:55 AM
Mike Adams

"Jim Burns" wrote:

Over 50 people dropped by Jay and Mary's campsite in the North 40 at
OSH for the annual rec.aviation party Wednesday evening.

I'll leave the full report & pictures for Jay to make upon his return,
but I just wanted to say the turn out was great. The party started
early with a few people dropping in during the airshow then lasted
well after dark.

Jay should have a list of all the attendees as he was seen diligently
takeing down names.

Thanks for the report. I made it to this event two years ago and it was a great time, and as you say, good
to put a face with a name. Even with the rain reports, I am wishing I was there again this year. Maybe
next year!

Mike
Old July 29th 05, 03:06 PM
PPT33R

There were a few tents with broken poles in the dumpsters!

There were quite a few 'campers' lamenting the cheap tents they
bought...

Our Mountain Hardware and our neighbor's Marmot tents held up very
well. We were upwind of the gaggle, but I was most concerned with
flying debris. It blew pretty damned hard along the west fenceline.

It seems EVERY year camping in the North 40 we go through one big
storm, and at least one day hot enough to melt flesh...

But it is all worth it! The sight of SpaceShipOne slung under White
Knight doing flybys on arrival got real emotional for me!

Sorry we couldn't stay for the party Wednesday night, but we did pay
our respects to Jay and Mary.

See you all at OSH '06!!!