Questions on twin operation

Old May 4th 06, 01:25 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Default Questions on twin operation

Hi!

I have a few questions regarding twin operation.

This is all just lofty dreams for me right now, but I want realistic dreams,
hence the questions...:-)

I am a professional bass player by trade.
My instrument is BIG, meaning no way I can get it in my Arrow...:-(

Which twin has the roomiest cabin space, and th easiest back seats to remove
for transporting a bulky item like this?
It should also have quite a big passenger door to get it in in the first
place.

Any of the smaller light twins that would fit this bill?

Next question: I have understood that cost of ownership on a twin is double
that of a single and then some.
Anyone care to elaborate?

I live in Norway, and we have mountains throughout the country, and icing
most of the year, so I'm dreaming of a twin that will climb me to
comfortable cruising of between FL140 and 210, has oxygen (not pressurised)
and certified for ice.

Is what I'm looking for possible?

I have been browsing the controller.com web site looking at Cessnas, Pipers
and Beech, but don't really know any of the pitfalls.

Seams to me you can find twins all the way down in prices below $100K and up
to anything.

What to look for in older, cheaper planes, apart from the obvious TBO times
and run out engines and props?

Anyone ever flown with a double bass before??

Thanks

Frode

Old May 4th 06, 03:39 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Frode Berg wrote:
Hi!

I have a few questions regarding twin operation.

This is all just lofty dreams for me right now, but I want realistic dreams,
hence the questions...:-)

I am a professional bass player by trade.
My instrument is BIG, meaning no way I can get it in my Arrow...:-(

You can get it into a Cherokee Six or Lance that has the cargo door.
The Six is a big single engine that won't cost you nearly as much as a
twin to maintain. Same fuselage as a Seneca. The downside is that it is
not certified known ice.
Old May 4th 06, 03:47 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

On Thu, 4 May 2006 02:25:13 +0200, "Frode Berg"
wrote:

Hi!

I have a few questions regarding twin operation.

This is all just lofty dreams for me right now, but I want realistic dreams,
hence the questions...:-)

I am a professional bass player by trade.
My instrument is BIG, meaning no way I can get it in my Arrow...:-(

A Seneca II would probably fit the bill. Turbo'd engines to climb
high. Quite large cabin, with a large set of loading doors in rear.

160-170kts typical cruise.

Reasonable acquire costs (100-175k USD)

My Father in law had one for about 10 years and the average annuals
were easily over 5k, and a few over 10k USD. He replaced a lot of
cylinders. With his experience, and speculating on commentary from
several other pilots - this seems to be common with the TSIO360s. I
certainly would not expect on making TBO without at least one TOH.

Insurance will be expensive. I was looking at purchasing one and the
best quote I could find was $5k/year. At the time I was 800hrs total
time, instrument rating, and would have been a newbie Multi pilot.

You will also pay more to hangar a twin. My airport wanted close to
$600/month for shared hangar space. That is about double what I pay
for a private hangar for my Cherokee.

-Nathan

..

Old May 4th 06, 11:04 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

I put my standup bass in my Cessna Skylane 182P all the time. No problem.
I simply fold the back seat down and lay the bass on top of the folded down
back seat. The top of the bass (nut & tuning box) rest on top of the
co-pilot seat and the bottom (peg) extend down into the baggage compartment.
It rests on its back with the strings facing up. I then throw the cargo net
over it and off I go.

Now, you might need a twin for your other requirements, icing... etc, but
the bass works well in a Skylane.

Guy Byars

Old May 4th 06, 02:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

"Guy Byars" wrote in message
I put my standup bass in my Cessna Skylane 182P all the time.
I am a professional bass player by trade.

Oh, oh!!! My wife plays the piano!

Old May 4th 06, 07:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

tom418 wrote:
Years ago, Piper ran an ad showing two piano movers loading a spinet piano
into a Cherokee Six . A double bass should be no problem

In "Flying Down to Rio" (1933)

http://makeashorterlink.com/?I52A24F0D

aviator and band leader Roger Bond (Gene Raymond) has a piano permanently
installed in the back of his single engine plane. Don't know what type it was,
but not a Cherokee.

They also do some other rather improbable things with airplanes, like IIRC a
double chorus line on the two wings of a biplane, doing the Rockette thing while
in flight. Lots of fun.
Old May 5th 06, 12:25 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Hey!

Cool.
That's probably the main problem with the Pipers.
One door...

Having to quickly get out with a double bass in the way could get
interesting.
Besides, my Arrow is way smaller in the cabin than the 182's.

Maybe a 210 would suffice then, with the ice option.

I'll keep dreaming. 210 should be much cheaper to operate than any twin,
right?

Frode

"Guy Byars" skrev i melding

Old May 5th 06, 08:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

tom418 wrote:
Years ago, Piper ran an ad showing two piano movers loading a spinet piano
into a Cherokee Six . A double bass should be no problem

A double bass is about 60 cm by 60 cm by 2.1 m, 2 ft by 2 ft by 7 ft.

I have not flown with one, but driven with one in the car
more than I care to remember.

--

Tauno Voipio
tauno voipio (at) iki fi

ATC visit questions?? (Operation rain check) [email protected] Piloting 28 October 30th 05 11:23 PM
Trying to Fly AliR Piloting 33 May 9th 05 12:00 AM
twin tail questions Kevin Horton Home Built 12 January 2nd 04 03:21 PM