Oudie - ConnectMe question

Old August 9th 10, 03:40 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Oudie - ConnectMe question

This ought to be easy (and well documented), but I'm not seeing it.
What device type do you use in ConnectMe to transfer a flight file out
of an Oudie? A friend just got one, and the Oudie doesn't show up as
one of the supported devices.

-Dave
Old August 9th 10, 04:47 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Darryl Ramm

On Aug 8, 7:40*pm, " wrote:
This ought to be easy (and well documented), but I'm not seeing it.
What device type do you use in ConnectMe to transfer a flight file out
of an Oudie? *A friend just got one, and the Oudie doesn't show up as
one of the supported devices.

-Dave

You don't transfer flights out of the Oudie with ConnectMe. It is not
a logger/flight computer it is a PNA, i.e. equivalent to the PDA.

You get flight logs onto the Oudie by running ConnectMe on the Oudie
and it then connects to a computer/logger and you can specify those
device types.

Most people will copy the flight logs on the Oudie (either the ones
created by SeeYou Mobile itself or transferred to the Oudie via
ConnectMe) by simply physically moving the SD card containing the
flight log to your laptop, PC or whatever. More sophisticated users
might transfer files over networks etc. but "sneaker net" with SD card
is where I would start.

Darryl
Old August 9th 10, 05:42 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Aug 8, 9:47*pm, Darryl Ramm wrote:
On Aug 8, 7:40*pm, " wrote:

[...]

OK, more details he did a flight without a SD card installed which was
saved somewhere in internal memory, and was trying to copy it to a
microSD card after the fact. I assume there's some other utility or
file explorer to do that?

I'm surprised you're calling it just a PDA, it's got a GPS and can log
flights, albeit not securely.

Dave
Old August 9th 10, 07:15 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Darryl Ramm

On Aug 8, 7:40*pm, " wrote:

[...]

It is a PNA (personal navigation assistant) -- because that is what it
technically exactly is. The Oudie is a Windows CE OEM manufactured PNA
with SeeYou Mobile "PNA Version" with some minor tweeks and all
packaged to make it easy for folks to use. A Windows CE PNA is similar
to a PDA, runs Windows CE not Windows Mobile but they are close. It is
not an IGC approved logger, and it's not a flight computer in my mind
especially since it has no direct pitot/TE etc. input. The on-board
logging capability is no different than SeeYou Mobile say running on a
PDA with a CF card GPS. In fact if you want the Oudie to deliver all
it can you connect it to a flight computer (like a Cambridge 302) and
then it receives TAS etc. data from the C302 and able to do better
wind calculations etc. And unlike a real flight computer the Oudie and
similar devices have no hope of being able to calculate a fast enough
accurate speed to fly (only an issue for those who think it's
necessary to chase STF that much).

I do not have an Oudie, I have the SeeYou Mobile PNA version on my
iPAQ 310 PNA and the SeeYou Mobile PDA version on other PDAs. Many
Windows CE installations have a "Windows Explorer" executable you can
run that will let you copy/paste files around. I am not sure what
exactly is packaged with the Oudie. But whatever you are after it is
not ConnectMe, that goes the other way. And if you find that you will
need to look in SeeYou Mobile Settings to work out where it put the
log file. Some Windows CE PNA devices can also connect via USB and
appear as an external USB drive. I also do that with my iPAQ 310
connecting to Windows XP (running in a virtual machine on a
Macintosh).

But bottom line is I don't know what other connectivity besides
(micro)SD card sneaker-net that the Oudie easily supports. Maybe an
Oudie owner has a quick answer for this.

Darryl
Old August 9th 10, 09:36 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andy[_10_]

On Aug 8, 7:40*pm, " wrote:

[...]

I haven't played with an Oudie yet, but based on my experience with
Mobile SeeYou I believe you have to use File Explorer in Windows CE.
I don't know if the Oudie allows you to launch Windows CE apps like
File Explorer, but if it does and you had the Oudie configured to
create an IGC file during the flight, then it should be stored either
in the root directory or in a Documents folder, perhaps in a Flights
folder residing at either of those levels.

Connect Me is not a file management system for the local Windows
device, so it won't help you in this instance. Connect Me is
exclusively for moving files to and from loggers connected via the
serial port on you Windows device. Since the logging function of the
Oudie is part of the software, not a serial-connected hardware device,
it won't show up in Connect Me's device selection window. Whatever
you get it won't be secure - you're right about that.

It's a guess - hope it helps.

9B
Old August 9th 10, 10:00 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andrej Kolar[_3_]

Oudie is supposed to be simple. Therefore you do this:

1. Connect Oudie to PC with the supplied USB cable (or any standard
USB cable for that matter)

2. Tap the "Connect to PC" button on Oudie screen

3. Oudie mounts as external disk to your PC. You can browse it exactly
like a USB stick. The flights are stored in the "Flights" folder in
the root of the Oudie Resident Flash memory.

No SD Card required.

Regards,
Andrej Kolar
--
glider pilots use
http://www.Naviter.com

Old August 9th 10, 01:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Thanks for the replies, understand the product bettter now. Any
thoughts of doing a product in the future that includes a secure
logger?

From my very short time playing with it, it seems like there were just
two options presented after bootup, running SeeYou or ConnectMe. Is
the user prevented from accessing WIndows, or is there a way to get
into it? The owner of course was just hoping to leave the unit at the
airport, and not bring a laptop along to get the log. Does SeeYou
Mobile let you configure to store the flight in a SD card, or is it
hardwired for the location in internal memory? Forgive the basic
questions, I don't use PDA's myself and haven't used SeeYou Mobile.

Regards
Dave

Old August 9th 10, 04:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Darryl Ramm

On Aug 9, 5:59*am, " wrote:
Thanks for the replies, understand the product bettter now. *Any
thoughts of doing a product in the future that includes a secure
logger?

From my very short time playing with it, it seems like there were just
two options presented after bootup, running SeeYou or ConnectMe. *Is
the user prevented from accessing WIndows, or is there a way to get
into it? *The owner of course was just hoping to leave the unit at the
airport, and not bring a laptop along to get the log. *Does SeeYou
Mobile let you configure to store the flight in a SD card, or is it
hardwired for the location in internal memory? *Forgive the basic
questions, I don't use PDA's myself and haven't used SeeYou Mobile.

Regards
Dave

[snip]

Play around in SeeYou Mobile settings, it will let you specify the log
file location.

For technical users the startup can be overridden but given the
questions being asked here I'd discourage you from doing that. Like
Andrej said they really seem to be making this device as simple to use
as possible. Once you open up Windows Exlporer on these devices there
is a whole world of things that get complicated and increase support
problems. Trying to get the log directly onto the SD card is likely a
better route for this user.

Taking the PNA home is probably a good idea, especially to keep the
device docked and battery charged and databases all updated.

The Oudie uses OEM PNA hardware and is therefore unlikely to ever be
an IGC approved flight recorder since it lacks the internal pressure
transducer and anti-tamper hardware. It make smore sense to seek
approval for the Oudie as a COTS GPS receiver aka position recorder
similar to the FlyWithCE position recorder. That will require NAC
(i.e. country level) approval.

Darryl

New Oudie Photos Paul Remde Soaring 3 April 30th 10 04:17 PM
ConnectMe / EW Microrecorder Kevin Neave Soaring 0 May 27th 07 06:48 PM
SeeYou ConnectMe question Papa3 Soaring 7 March 28th 06 04:05 AM
ConnectMe - English Language Version Ken Kochanski (KK) Soaring 3 April 19th 05 02:25 AM