Mean Time to Failure

Old February 8th 04, 11:43 PM
O. Sami Saydjari

Default Mean Time to Failure

As I reading through my aircraft logs, I noticed several replacements of
the Directional Gyro and Turn Coordinator. The plane is a 1978 Piper
Turbo Arrow 3. Is is normal to need to replace these things every 4-5
years?

Does anyone keep statistics or even projections for the mean time
between failures on airplane parts? It sure would be useful to know.
One would think the manufacturers would publish such information.

-Sami

Old February 9th 04, 01:10 AM
ArtP

On Sun, 08 Feb 2004 17:43:43 -0600, "O. Sami Saydjari"
wrote:

As I reading through my aircraft logs, I noticed several replacements of
the Directional Gyro and Turn Coordinator. The plane is a 1978 Piper
Turbo Arrow 3. Is is normal to need to replace these things every 4-5
years?

I have an 2002 SR20 and my TC was replaced after 10 months, my
directional gyro (Sandel EHSI) lasted 1 year and 9 months.
Old February 9th 04, 02:30 AM
Jeff

were the replacements done with used or new instruments?
I know the place I did my flight training always used used DG's and they
seemed to go out all the time in the warriors, the mechanic said it was due
to using the used parts all the time and not getting the DG's sent in to be
overhauled.

Old February 9th 04, 03:20 AM
G.R. Patterson III

"O. Sami Saydjari" wrote:

As I reading through my aircraft logs, I noticed several replacements of
the Directional Gyro and Turn Coordinator. The plane is a 1978 Piper
Turbo Arrow 3. Is is normal to need to replace these things every 4-5
years?

I had a 25 year old Cessna 150 with what was apparently the original DG and turn
coordinator. IIRC, there was no record in the logs that either had been rebuilt
or replaced. The RC Allen DG in my Maule started drifting about a year after I
bought it, and I had it rebuilt by Ducasse. It's given me no trouble since. I
have a rebuilt turn-and-bank in the Maule, so I don't have a TC referent there.
The Maule's a '95 model.

George Patterson
Love, n.: A form of temporary insanity afflicting the young. It is curable
either by marriage or by removal of the afflicted from the circumstances
under which he incurred the condition. It is sometimes fatal, but more
often to the physician than to the patient.

Old February 9th 04, 06:04 AM
ArtP

On Mon, 09 Feb 2004 04:56:42 GMT, "Dude" wrote:

Have you not sold that thing yet? I can't believe the factory won't buy you
out of it.

Looking for a broker now. While I am certainly the loudest complainer,
based upon postings at COPA, others have serious problems and I don't
think the factory would want to start a precedent of buying out
disgruntled owners.
Old February 9th 04, 01:09 PM
Nathan Young

wrote:

As I reading through my aircraft logs, I noticed several replacements of
the Directional Gyro and Turn Coordinator. The plane is a 1978 Piper
Turbo Arrow 3. Is is normal to need to replace these things every 4-5
years?

Does anyone keep statistics or even projections for the mean time
between failures on airplane parts? It sure would be useful to know.
One would think the manufacturers would publish such information.

At some point, the gyros will fail, so the question is whether the
plane is being used for IFR or not.

If so, it makes sense to periodically replace/overhaul the gyro
instruments, and to replace the vaccuum pump.

If it is used only for VFR, who cares. Let the instruments fail, then
replace them.

Gyro life varies widely. Gyros may last years, or only months
depending on a number of factors:
-Manufacturing/overhaul quality
-Time on shelf before install (it is bad for gyros to sit idle)
-Temperature extremes. I've heard cold starts are hard on gyros.

-Nathan

Old February 9th 04, 03:10 PM
James M. Knox

"O. Sami Saydjari" wrote in
:

As I reading through my aircraft logs, I noticed several replacements
of the Directional Gyro and Turn Coordinator. The plane is a 1978
Piper Turbo Arrow 3. Is is normal to need to replace these things
every 4-5 years?

Some folks do replace them on a regular basis... The idea being to
replace them before wear causes them to fail at a more inconvenient
time. Does it help? I don't think anyone knows. Probably, when you
consider the incidence of infant mortality that these devices see,
probably not. While they all will EVENTUALLY wear out (whether that
means 5 years or 50 years), more probably fail in the first couple of
months after installation than anything else.

Some things CAN cause premature wear and failu

o Smoking in the aircraft
o High-G maneuvers
o Long idle periods (and this includes sitting on the shelf in some
avionics shop).

Fortunately, they usually (but not always) give some warning days or
even months before they fail:

o Wind down quicker than usual
o More noise (after engine shutdown) than normal
o Slow to erect, or tends not to return to neutral when the plane does

Most of us, I think, wait and repair them when they *start* showing
signs of needing it. And BTW, in my opinion, a quality overhaul should
be just as good as a factory new in terms of reliability. A quality
overhaul replaces all the wear items.

James M. Knox
TriSoft ph 512-385-0316
1109-A Shady Lane fax 512-366-4331
Austin, Tx 78721
Old February 9th 04, 06:31 PM
Mike Rapoport

I asked the same question after my only (vacuum) AI failied on a flight
(turbo Lance) and was told 500 to 1000 hrs for vacuum gyros and 1000 to
2000hrs for electric. If you only have one vacuum AI overhauling it every
500hrs seems prudent.

Mike
MU-2