A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Towpilots ignoring turn signals

Old April 29th 15, 06:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Pasker
external usenet poster

Default Towpilots ignoring turn signals

So, I was getting my first tow at a very busy and very well-respected gliderport, and I saw an area where I wanted to go, so I shift a plane's width opposite the turn direction and stayed there. The tow pilot kept going straight ahead. OK, maybe he didn't see me, or maybe like a fishing guide he is taking me to a secret spot with 10kts of lift.

Next day, different tow pilot, similar turn request, no response. When I asked the second tow pilot back on the ground, he says he didn't notice it. They never pay attention to the position of the gliders because the glider pilots don't know how to stay on tow, and deviations are just an example of their poor flying habits.

--bob
Old April 29th 15, 08:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

The turn signal starts when the towpilot runs out of rudder, or his leg gets tired.

Todd Smith
3S
Old April 29th 15, 09:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ramy[_2_]
external usenet poster

On Wednesday, April 29, 2015 at 12:53:20 PM UTC-7, wrote:
The turn signal starts when the towpilot runs out of rudder, or his leg gets tired.

Todd Smith
3S

I assume no radio in the tow plane? If so, this would be my main concern.

Ramy
Old April 29th 15, 09:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

On Wednesday, April 29, 2015 at 1:51:55 PM UTC-4, Bob Pasker wrote:
So, I was getting my first tow at a very busy and very well-respected gliderport, and I saw an area where I wanted to go, so I shift a plane's width opposite the turn direction and stayed there. The tow pilot kept going straight ahead. OK, maybe he didn't see me, or maybe like a fishing guide he is taking me to a secret spot with 10kts of lift.

Next day, different tow pilot, similar turn request, no response. When I asked the second tow pilot back on the ground, he says he didn't notice it.. They never pay attention to the position of the gliders because the glider pilots don't know how to stay on tow, and deviations are just an example of their poor flying habits.

--bob

What made you think you knew where to go better than the local tow pilot?
UH
Old April 29th 15, 10:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
kirk.stant
external usenet poster

On Wednesday, April 29, 2015 at 12:51:55 PM UTC-5, Bob Pasker wrote:

Next day, different tow pilot, similar turn request, no response. When I asked the second tow pilot back on the ground, he says he didn't notice it.. They never pay attention to the position of the gliders because the glider pilots don't know how to stay on tow, and deviations are just an example of their poor flying habits.

--bob

A plane's width? Not nearly enough! Seriously, you need to get WAY out there,smoothly, and stay there until the tow pilot notices the yaw and lets you drag his tail around - which he will to by simply taking his feet off the rudder pedals. But a radio is really better....

But it's always a good idea to talk to your tow pilot after a tow where anything goes out of the ordinary. Better yet, brief him before the tow, and practice some signals in both direction, including slowly deploying your spoilers (looking for the rudder waggle) and ending with a simulated engine power loss and rock-off at release altitude; makes the tow more interesting for both parties.

Kirk
Old April 29th 15, 10:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dave Springford
external usenet poster

As a towpilot, if you get far enough out of position to "steer" me and I run out of leg, expect to see my end of the tow rope coming back at you.

Attempting to steer the towplane by pulling his tail around is just dumb.
Old April 30th 15, 12:07 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
6PK
external usenet poster

On Wednesday, April 29, 2015 at 2:48:39 PM UTC-7, Dave Springford wrote:
As a towpilot, if you get far enough out of position to "steer" me and I run out of leg, expect to see my end of the tow rope coming back at you.

I had inexperienced tow pilots wanting take me for a joy ride more than once on my nickel.
Signals on tow weather by steering or radio is standard practice that all should be familiar with prior to flying a glider or tow plane.
6PK
Old April 30th 15, 01:53 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta
external usenet poster

Steering turns are standard practice. When I'm on tow, and want to turn
(or not!), I try the radio first. If the tuggie doesn't do as I ask, I
try steering him. If that doesn't work, I just go where he takes me and
I'll talk to him after landing. When I'm flying the tug, I'll turn as
the glider pilot asks, even if I know there's something better elsewhere.

On 4/29/2015 3:48 PM, Dave Springford wrote:

--
Dan Marotta

Old April 30th 15, 02:32 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Pasker
external usenet poster

oh, there's a radio in the tow plane and I had my portable. they ignored me on departure, and never made any radio calls, so I didn't even bother.

On Wednesday, April 29, 2015 at 4:11:58 PM UTC-4, Ramy wrote:
On Wednesday, April 29, 2015 at 12:53:20 PM UTC-7, wrote:

Todd Smith
3S

I assume no radio in the tow plane? If so, this would be my main concern.

Ramy

Old April 30th 15, 02:33 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Pasker
external usenet poster

On Wednesday, April 29, 2015 at 4:55:09 PM UTC-4, wrote:
What made you think you knew where to go better than the local tow pilot?
UH

that's a great point, if the tow pilot had made it