Wing Tape - Does Thickness Affect Performance?

Old January 24th 07, 11:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Udo

Default Wing Tape - Does Thickness Affect Performance?

On Jan 23, 4:00 pm, "Andy" wrote:
wrote:
Tape drag not a huge effect, but can add up to 10 or 15 points over the
course of a contest.How many days would that be? Can you also tell me how many points it

costs for the drag of an open airvent and an extended pee tube?

Andy

I am do not know about the tape, but a 6"-7" pee tube could generate
about .2 lb of drag at 85 kt, hence a one day contest base on a 1000
points, all else being equal, could reduce the points count by 12-15
points.
Udo

Old January 25th 07, 10:14 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andreas Maurer

On 24 Jan 2007 15:09:09 -0800, "Udo" wrote:

I am do not know about the tape, but a 6"-7" pee tube could generate
about .2 lb of drag at 85 kt, hence a one day contest base on a 1000
points, all else being equal, could reduce the points count by 12-15
points.

.... not to mention the significant loss of wing loading due to the
weight that goes overboard through the pee tube...

Bye
Andreas
Old January 25th 07, 10:50 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bert Willing

But he's right - that's why I use pee bags, so I only have to deal with the
loss of wing load :-)

Old January 25th 07, 01:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andy[_1_]

Yeh, I considered both of these effects (mass and drag) when I decided
to keep the yellow ballast on board and dump after landing.

Andy

Old January 25th 07, 01:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Udo

On Jan 25, 5:14 am, Andreas Maurer wrote:
On 24 Jan 2007 15:09:09 -0800, "Udo" wrote:

I am do not know about the tape, but a 6"-7" pee tube could generate
about .2 lb of drag at 85 kt, hence a one day contest base on a 1000
points, all else being equal, could reduce the points count by 12-15
points.... not to mention the significant loss of wing loading due to the

weight that goes overboard through the pee tube...

Bye
Andreas

To heck with the drag, convenience is king, but you can reduce that
drag of the tube to 1.2 to 1.5 points a day if you fair it. In the past
pilots did find that incorporating the tube on the inside of the gear
door was not a good solution either. The drag caused by lowering the
gear partly caused overall more drag over time. Naturally the older you
get the more drag you generate, as you have too lower the gear more
often, as well each session takes longer. Also you have to remember to
lower the gear.
Udo

Old January 25th 07, 03:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Maciek

Użytkownik "Bert Willing"
napisał w wiadomości ...
But he's right - that's why I use pee bags, so I only have to deal with
the loss of wing load :-)

Oh! Just admit that your machine doesn't have the pee tube installed;-).
By the way, a pee bag can suprise you if it's not durable enough;-)
Maciek

Old January 25th 07, 03:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ken Kochanski (KK)

Technically, wouldn't ejecting a liquid under pressure to the rear
create a propulsion vector. Younger guys would have an advantage in
both M and V ... older guys would would have more propulsion episodes.

Old January 25th 07, 03:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bert Willing

Even a durable one can surprise the copilot if he wasn't summoned beforehand
to close his window :-)

Old January 25th 07, 03:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Udo

On Jan 25, 10:14 am, "Ken Kochanski (KK)"
wrote:
Technically, wouldn't ejecting a liquid under pressure to the rear
create a propulsion vector. Younger guys would have an advantage in
both M and V ... older guys would would have more propulsion episodes.

Exactly,
Corky installed it on his 27, now mine, in that fashion, facing back. I
will install an accumulator and will heat it with access heat from
within the cockpit and expel it under higher pressure and make it a
one episode thing on final glide.
Udo