Airbus A 380 is rolling

Old April 20th 05, 10:36 AM
Cub Driver

On Wed, 20 Apr 2005 07:12:44 GMT, "Hilton"
wrote:

OK, here's my question. Aircraft manufacturers will do just about anything
to get 1% fuel savings. Boeing says the 787 will be 20% more efficient -
HOW? And why is everyone OK with it? I'm just curious, I'm not doubting
their claims, but sometimes if things sound too good to be true...

One assumes they're saying 20 percent more efficient than the 777, and
that it's accomplished by cutting weight, streamlining design, and
buying better engines.

The engines of course are fungible. Airbus proposes to use them on its
787 killer (which will probably never get off the ground).

-- all the best, Dan Ford

email (put Cubdriver in subject line)

Warbird's Forum:
www.warbirdforum.com
Piper Cub Forum: www.pipercubforum.com
the blog: www.danford.net
In Search of Lost Time: www.readingproust.com
Old April 20th 05, 04:46 PM
Hilton

Cub Driver wrote:
Airbus would be smart to quietly drop its 787 killer, just as Boeing
quietly dropped its 380 killer.

Are you referring to the 747X that no-one bought or the almost-supersonic
plane that Boeing engineering couldn't live up to Boeing marketing promises?

Hilton

Old April 20th 05, 10:35 PM
Dean Wilkinson

Bull****, Boeing doesn't receive government subsidies... tax breaks don't
count and they are tiny compared to what Airbus gets...

wrote in message
oups.com...
No 7x7 either.
-Kees

Old April 21st 05, 01:52 AM
faky

Analyse the industry and you will see at once the folly of the 380.
1. Many airlines are moving towards smaller jets.
2. Airlines that are operating on the older HUB model have been losing money
for many years, while smaller regeonals using the direct flight model are
making money. The direct flight model requires smaller planes.
3. Pilot pay is going down, so it is no longer a big money savings reducing
the number of pilots by flying larger planes.
4. Gas costs are going up, and will continue to rise for the next several
years. Fuel efficiency is key.

With these factors in mind, it is at the least very risky to be putting all
of your eggs in one basket with the A380. If it does not sell like hot
cakes, Airbus is going to take a bath, and the Euro taxpayers are going to
be footing the bill.

"G Farris" wrote in message
In article ,
says...

Boeing may well be the market leader this year, on the
strength of the 787.

I find this very tenuous.
If Boeing does manage to slow the hemmorrage of market share this year, it
will be thanks to a traditional agreement with the Japanese, and not to

any
purported strengths of a plane that does not exist, and that no one knows

much
about, except that it has wavy lines on the floor instead of straight

ones.
(Are these supposed to help drunken passengers navigate, or are they a
metaphor for Boeing's own management strategy?).

They year is young yet. Airbus is about to proceed with the most

spectacular
rollout since the 747 - and I have not seen any billboards saying, "Would

the
last one to leave Toulouse please turn out the lights . . ." The prestige

and
media coverage of the event can only enhance their posture (unless of

course
the rollout ends the way the initial A320 demonstration did)!

And Boeing, in their wavering wisdom, have chosen this moment to announce

the
end of the 747 program. What stupidity! Not to end it, I mean - but to
announce it now - to say to all the asian carriers who use almost

exclusively
jumbos "YES, we have NO ANSWER to Airbus's A380!" They have thus spent

time
and money gold-plating the silver platter on which they deliver this

lucrative
market to their competitor.

I'm American, and I would love to see Boeing at least maintain parity with
Airbus in deliveries, as well as maintaining their stature as a

technological
flagship of American industry. Byt then, I went to University of

Minnesota,
and I quickly learned the futility of rooting for any of their teams!

G Faris

Old April 21st 05, 02:41 AM
Morgans

"faky" wrote

Analyse the industry and you will see at once the folly of the 380.
1. Many airlines are moving towards smaller jets.
2. Airlines that are operating on the older HUB model have been losing

money
for many years, while smaller regeonals using the direct flight model are
making money. The direct flight model requires smaller planes.

First of all, I want to state that I am not an airbus fan.

The whole state purpose of the 380, is to get more passenger capacity at
airports that have no more available landing slots, due to the airport being
at maximum movement capacity. Heathrow is one example. The 380 would have
to be put on a route that had enough demand to another city, to keep it
full. Demand has to be at levels higher than what the current slots will
carry, with the present planes. That is the only big advantage, and will be
the only routes the 380 is slated to run on.
--
Jim in NC

Old April 21st 05, 11:20 AM
Matt Whiting

faky wrote:

Analyse the industry and you will see at once the folly of the 380.
1. Many airlines are moving towards smaller jets.
2. Airlines that are operating on the older HUB model have been losing money
for many years, while smaller regeonals using the direct flight model are
making money. The direct flight model requires smaller planes.
3. Pilot pay is going down, so it is no longer a big money savings reducing
the number of pilots by flying larger planes.
4. Gas costs are going up, and will continue to rise for the next several
years. Fuel efficiency is key.

With these factors in mind, it is at the least very risky to be putting all
of your eggs in one basket with the A380. If it does not sell like hot
cakes, Airbus is going to take a bath, and the Euro taxpayers are going to
be footing the bill.

I don't think the 380 was designed for domestic routes where the hub and
spoke system dominates. It was designed for international routes which
have pretty much a hub to hub design inherently. I suspect it will do
well in that application.

Matt
Old April 21st 05, 09:26 PM
A Guy Called Tyketto

Old April 22nd 05, 08:58 AM
G Farris

In article , says...

Analyse the industry and you will see at once the folly of the 380.
1. Many airlines are moving towards smaller jets.
2. Airlines that are operating on the older HUB model have been losing money
for many years, while smaller regeonals using the direct flight model are
making money. The direct flight model requires smaller planes.
3. Pilot pay is going down, so it is no longer a big money savings reducing
the number of pilots by flying larger planes.
4. Gas costs are going up, and will continue to rise for the next several
years. Fuel efficiency is key.

With these factors in mind, it is at the least very risky to be putting all
of your eggs in one basket with the A380. If it does not sell like hot
cakes, Airbus is going to take a bath, and the Euro taxpayers are going to
be footing the bill.

If you consider the above to be a full analysis of the industry - you could be
a top exec at Boeing!! (That's a joke - I don't mean to criticize your
comment). Seriously, what is missing from your thumbnail analysis is the
persepctive of the major Asian carriers - companies like Cathay Pacific and
Singapore Airlines will not convert massively to 7E7's just because Boeing
says they should. Such planes do not fit their mission profile, or their
corporate image. They will buy (and already have bought) A380's. I do not
doubt Boeing is right to move away from the 747 program, and time may prove
them right on their long term strategy - but to make public announcements
now that they are stopping the 747 seems foolhardy to me. By simply saying the
747-400 will continue production, they would be offering a "conservative"
option to those carriers who already rely heavily on this aircraft. And
wherever you find people making hundred-million dollar purchases, you're
going to find some conservative people. Would you sneeze at picking up an
extra $10 billion in cash, while waiting for your market projections to
materialize? Apparently Boeing does!

Of course the A-380 is a huge gamble, and I agree it is the Europeans' savings
they are gambling with. It is a very serious effort, and they will put every
resource possible into assuring it will obtain its market objectives, however
with such diametrically opposed strategies, one is tempted to believe that
both Boeing AND Airbus cannot be right. Since I do not have a crystal ball to
see who is going to be vindicated, I look to other indicators of management
success, and I'm afraid I do not discern a bright, shining beacon at Boeing.

G Faris

Old April 22nd 05, 10:57 AM
Cub Driver

Of course the A-380 is a huge gamble, and I agree it is the Europeans' savings
they are gambling with.

Taxes, actually. Taxes come before savings and private consumption, or
instead of them.

Old April 22nd 05, 12:11 PM
Dan Luke

"G Farris" wrote:

...I look to other indicators of management success,
and I'm afraid I do not discern a bright, shining beacon at Boeing.

Tee-hee!

Beauty.