Suggested Lunch Stops "Near" Washington, D.C.?

Old June 6th 05, 05:27 PM
John T

Jay Honeck wrote:

Of course, this is the same kid who wants to bring a bail of hay, buy
some bib overalls, and start chewing tobacco for our day on display,
just so we don't disappoint everyone's expectations of what an Iowan
Family should look like!

I know the feeling. Of course, having an Southern accent can be useful
sometimes, too.

I'm hoping to make it out to Udvar-Hazy sometime Saturday. Anybody else
looking to be there (either as guest or participant)?

--
John T
http://tknowlogy.com/TknoFlyer

Old June 6th 05, 11:02 PM
Helen Woods

We have a ton of good restraunts in the DC area. Kentmore, which was
previously mentioned, is a good spot if the grass runway isn't soggy.
Other yummy places include Frederick MD and Sky Bryce (ski lodge) VA on
the west side and a number of excellent seafood places on the Eastern
Shore. Personally, if I were you coming from as far away as you, I'd do
one of the Eastern Shore places to enjoy the local seafood. Kentmore is
good, so is Georgetown although its not waterfront, and so is Cambridge
although it lacks both the waterfront and the atmosphere. (Cambridge is
known for their crab omelets as well as its crabcakes.)

Probably the best stop though that you could do while you are in the
area is Tangier Island. That's to the south east just on the other side
of the Washington sectional out in the middle of the Bay. It's a true
Chesapeake Bay waterman's community which supplements its income by
feeding pilots and other tourists some of the most scrumptious home
cooked seafood imaginable.

Here's a link for the island.
http://www.tangierisland-va.com/

The whole island is walkable in a couple of hours or you can rent bikes
or catch a golf cart ride around town. It's a true Chesapeake Bay
experience. My favorite restraunt is the Channel Marker, with very
reasonable prices for the incredible quality of food. Try the crab
salad if they have it and if not, the crab cakes or softcrabs.

Tangier and Georgetown are both open for dinner as well. Tangier lacks
runway lights though so plan accordingly.

More ideas and details: http://www.100dollarhamburger.com/

The previously posted ADIZ explanation was a good post. Drop me a line
though if you still have any questions about that.

Tailwinds!
Helen
Old June 6th 05, 11:48 PM
Robert M. Gary

I was there last week, its great.

-Roebrt

Old June 7th 05, 01:08 AM
Steve S

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
\ I haven't looked in any great detail yet, but I *think* I can stay out of
Canadian airspace if I do it that way, no?
--

You don't have to stay out of canadian airspace. You can transit the
airspace, you just can't land there without dealing with

Steve S

Old June 7th 05, 01:20 AM
Steve S

Jay Honeck wrote:
[snip]

Also, I have just started researching this ADIZ flight plan stuff. One
fellow who wrote me off-line referred to "VOR gateways" into the ADIZ,
which implies that there are set "routes" via VORs through the ADIZ into
Dulles. Is this correct, or (once I've been assigned a discrete squawk
code and have my ADIZ flight plan activated) can I fly GPS direct from
the point where I enter the ADIZ straight into Dulles?

Thanks for your help!

Good morning, Jay,

There are gateways into the ADIZ though they aren't published. I believe
that EMI, BELAY and GOLDA to the north and east are 3 of them. You can call
FSS and they can give them to you when you file. There are no set "routes"
as far as I know.

Once you get your squawk (note: they won't "clear" you into the ADIZ so
don't ask) you may or may not be cleared direct, depends on when you hit the
Class B, where in the Class B you enter and what arrival/departure routes
they're using. If you're destination was outside the Class B (under it) you
would usually be cleared direct.

HTH

Steve S

Old June 7th 05, 02:05 AM
Margy

Jay Honeck wrote:
Been lurking and understand you're going to check out the new museum at
Dulles...

Not only is Jay going to check out the museum, he's going to be on
exhibit there.

And my family won't let me forget it.

"First you were a fossil...now you're a museum piece!"

;-)

We can put the kids on display too :-)
Old June 7th 05, 02:16 AM
Margy

Helen Woods wrote:

Probably the best stop though that you could do while you are in the
area is Tangier Island. That's to the south east just on the other side
of the Washington sectional out in the middle of the Bay. It's a true
Chesapeake Bay waterman's community which supplements its income by
feeding pilots and other tourists some of the most scrumptious home
cooked seafood imaginable.

Here's a link for the island.
http://www.tangierisland-va.com/

The whole island is walkable in a couple of hours or you can rent bikes
or catch a golf cart ride around town. It's a true Chesapeake Bay
experience. My favorite restraunt is the Channel Marker, with very
reasonable prices for the incredible quality of food. Try the crab
salad if they have it and if not, the crab cakes or softcrabs.
Jeez, Helen,

Don't send him to Tangier, he'll never leave!! Seriously Jay, Tangier
would be a great place for SUNDAY!
Old June 7th 05, 02:18 AM
Margy

John T wrote:

I'm hoping to make it out to Udvar-Hazy sometime Saturday. Anybody else
looking to be there (either as guest or participant)?

Ron and I will be on the ramp all day long.

Margy
Old June 7th 05, 04:25 AM
Jay Honeck

Don't send him to Tangier, he'll never leave!! Seriously Jay, Tangier
would be a great place for SUNDAY!

Thanks. Better food elsewhere notwithstanding, it looks like Thursday (or
Friday, if weather intercedes) we'll be stopping at AOPA's home in
Frederick, MD for lunch before busting into the ADIZ.

A friend who works at AOPA has offered to give us a tour, and who can argue
with that?

;-)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old June 7th 05, 04:31 AM
aaronw

On Mon, 6 Jun 2005 01:13:39 -0400, "John T" wrote:

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message

1. Bedford, PA (KMHZ) is just 35 minutes from Dulles.
2. Cumberland, MD (KCBE) is just 30 minutes from Dulles
3. Martinsburg, WV (KMRB) is just 15 minutes from Dulles

I seem to recall somebody once talking about the food at Bedford, but I've
never been. Here's a (dated) link talking about the restaurant at KMRB:
http://archives.his.com/dcpilots-l/2.../msg00272.html

As the referenced person in the post, I'll throw in that when I got to
the MRB restaurant on that day, it was closed, even though I called
somewhat in advance (earlier that week?) to check.

I don't know if it's just me and this area and my luck, but all of the
airfield restaurants for me are hit and miss as far as finding them
open.

Cumberland is I think actually very close to the actual town of
Cumberland, MD, which is kind of tourist-trappy, so you'll probably
find stuff in town easily enough. Never been to Bedford myself,
though.

Also, I have just started researching this ADIZ flight plan stuff. One
fellow who wrote me off-line referred to "VOR gateways" into the
ADIZ, which implies that there are set "routes" via VORs through the
ADIZ into Dulles. Is this correct, or (once I've been assigned a
discrete squawk code and have my ADIZ flight plan activated) can I
fly GPS direct from the point where I enter the ADIZ straight into
Dulles?

I think everyone else already answered this, but ATC doesn't really
care exactly where you enter. They only need an 'entry point' to get
your strip to the right sector - Chesapeake (BWI), Mount
Vernon(DCA/ADW), or Shenandoah (IAD). Once it gets to the right
sector, just check out the class B frequences on your TAC and call the
right one - if you have the wrong one they'll just tell you who to
contact. As long as you're on the right 'end' of the Class B, they
don't care one whit. But do try to fly (mostly) direct once entering
to your landing, you will probably get a call if you go completely the
wrong way. Outside the B, inside the ADIZ, (mostly) free flight.
Inside the B, just like any othe B anywhere else.

I unfortunately won't be able to be in town for this event - I had
previous plans for the weekend!

aw