Hurricane Dennis cont'd

Old July 10th 05, 02:50 PM
Dan Luke

"Lynne" wrote:
Hope you have better decision making skills in the air than you do on
the ground.

I will take the charitable view and allow that your remark may come from
genuine concern. I will restrain myself from posting a couple of replies
that spring immediately to mind.

--
Dan
C172RG at BFM

Old July 10th 05, 03:01 PM
Juan Jimenez

I don't think they were expecting the jetstream to bend way down to the
gulf, around the storm and up the panhandle. It's almost as if it's reaching
around to give it more speed...

"Dan Luke" wrote in message

"Juan Jimenez" wrote:
I would not count on Dennis to weaken. It's already picked up energy and
is running 140 mph wind gusts. It's expected to make landfall as either a
strong cat 3 or perhaps cat 4.

Yes, they've waffled on the earlier predictions. Oh, well, it won't be
the first 4 I've been through.

Old July 10th 05, 03:03 PM
Dan Luke

"Montblack" wrote:

Yes, they've waffled on the earlier predictions. Oh, well, it won't
be the first 4 I've been through.

-27F (below zero) in January is looking pretty good right about now,
eh?

Yeah. I know that this is the price one occasionally must pay to live
on the Gulf Coast, but two years in a row is excessive taxation, IMO.
Statistically, this should happen only every 23 years at any one spot.

Good luck riding out the storm. Keep us posted.

Thanks.

Right now (9am CDT Sunday), Dennis is shaping up to be the strongest
storm I've ever been through in 58 years of living on the coast--and
that includes Carla in 1961, one of the 10 strongest Atlantic storms
ever.

Right now the weather boffins are saying the eye will pass a bit east of
me, which is a bit of good news if it's true. The poor folks in
Pensacola are going to get hammered again. Many still have blue plastic
tarps on their roofs from Ivan.
--
Dan
C172RG at BFM

Old July 10th 05, 03:55 PM
john smith

Dan Luke wrote:
Yeah. I know that this is the price one occasionally must pay to live
on the Gulf Coast, but two years in a row is excessive taxation, IMO.
Statistically, this should happen only every 23 years at any one spot.

Then again, this could be the start of a new cycle!
:-))
Old July 10th 05, 06:12 PM
Dan Luke

12:05 CDT report:

Heavy rain at my house, wind est. 25G35.

Power is still on, hasn't even blinked yet. It won't last much longer,
though.

The eye appears headed for a direct hit on Pensacola.

--
Dan
C172RG at BFM

Old July 10th 05, 07:15 PM
Darrel Toepfer

Dan Luke wrote:

12:05 CDT report:

Heavy rain at my house, wind est. 25G35.

Power is still on, hasn't even blinked yet. It won't last much longer,
though.

The eye appears headed for a direct hit on Pensacola.

12G21 here 225.3 nautical miles west...
http://aws.com/single_site.asp?id=EUNCE

Sites in Mobile and Pensacola aren't working...
Old July 10th 05, 08:14 PM
Dan Luke

14:05 CDT report:

Heavy rain continues at my house, wind est. 25G45.

Power is still on; kind of surprising, since it usually goes out if a
cow farts anywhere in lower Alabama.

The eye is going ashore in Pensacola Bay as a medium cat 3. That is far
better than the cat. 4 it was earlier.

--
Dan
C172RG at BFM

Old July 10th 05, 09:49 PM
Guy Byars

I was flying the Skylane in Southwest Ohio on Sunday morning. I noticed a
convoy of 6 electrical repair trucks and crews heading South on I-71. Looks
like reinforcements are on the way to help with the inevitable power
problems. When the ice storms hit up here next winter, perhaps you can
return the favor.

Good Luck down there!

Guy Byars

Old July 10th 05, 10:00 PM
Dan Luke

"Guy Byars" wrote:
I was flying the Skylane in Southwest Ohio on Sunday morning. I
noticed a
convoy of 6 electrical repair trucks and crews heading South on I-71.
Looks
like reinforcements are on the way to help with the inevitable power
problems.

Yep.

When the ice storms hit up here next winter, perhaps you can
return the favor.

I'm sure the power companies have reciprocal agreements. There's no way
they can individually afford to keep enough staff and equipment on hand
to handle the occasional big emergency.

Good Luck down there!

Thanks.
--
Dan
C172RG at BFM

Old July 10th 05, 10:09 PM
Dan Luke

16:00 CDT update:

Eight hours ago Dennis was looking like it might be the worst storm I'd
ever ridden out. Now the center is about 40 mi. due east of us and the
weather outside doesn't look much worse than a common thunderstorm,
except that it's lasting longer. That's the benefit of being well to
the "good" side of a hurricane.

Still not totally in the clear yet--there are more squalls headed this
way and tornadoes are always a possibility--but right now Dennis is
looking like a wimp in the greater Mobile Bay area.

--
Dan
C172RG at BFM

Hurricane Dennis cont'd Dan Luke Owning 33 July 19th 05 04:45 AM
Hurricane Dennis Hotel 179 Piloting 32 July 10th 05 04:49 AM
Bell 47 goes down in Muncie, IN [email protected] Rotorcraft 14 August 17th 04 11:29 PM
Dennis Fetters Mini 500 EmailMe Home Built 70 June 21st 04 09:36 PM