Harley powered airplane

Old December 11th 03, 07:32 AM
Brett

Default Harley powered airplane

I built a Zenith 601 XL with a Harley motor. It took about 7 months to
build alot of that time figuring out the motor stuff. Then 3 mo.
waiting for the inspection. Well I just got my inspection done on the
9th and I took it up. WOW what a rush. You can see it at
www.hog-air.com
Old December 11th 03, 11:42 AM
Larry Smith

"Brett" wrote in message
om...
I built a Zenith 601 XL with a Harley motor. It took about 7 months to
build alot of that time figuring out the motor stuff. Then 3 mo.
waiting for the inspection. Well I just got my inspection done on the
9th and I took it up. WOW what a rush. You can see it at
www.hog-air.com

Nice ad. Nice movie.

Looks torquey. How much rudder on takeoff?

Also looks to be an installation where the cylinder head temps should be
monitored and maybe the cylinders should be baffled. Love them Harleys,
though. Evo runs much cooler than the shovel-head or panhead.

Old December 11th 03, 02:22 PM
ET

(Brett) wrote in news:3778c1e5.0312102332.18010aa8
@posting.google.com:

www.hog-air.com

Interesting... Aside from the belt drive, is the motor stock??? What
prop is used? Custom? At what RPM is the engine going to cruise )

It appears you plan on basically assembling Zodiac XL kits, fitting the
Harley motor to them, and selling the complete airplane.... Here, I
believe, many of us are perhaps interested in the firewall forward
package, if not just the engine and/or belt drive. What is your pricing
for those options???

I assume this will only run on 91+ octane mo-gas... do you know if 100LL
would run this baby properly? (hard to find mo-gas sometimes on cross-
countries)?

Looks really cool, and the aaahhh factor of having a Harley Plane is
hard to ignore. It will be interesting to see the long-term performance
of this baby. I'm either going to build a Zodiac XL or a Sonex...
either of which may be ideal for this type engine... I will not even
begin construction for 6 months to a year, so I will be following your
progress with interest.

--
ET

"A common mistake people make when trying to design something
fools."---- Douglas Adams
Old December 11th 03, 04:03 PM
Rich S.

"Brett" wrote in message
om...
I built a Zenith 601 XL with a Harley motor. It took about 7 months to
build alot of that time figuring out the motor stuff. Then 3 mo.
waiting for the inspection. Well I just got my inspection done on the
9th and I took it up. WOW what a rush. You can see it at
www.hog-air.com

Hmmm........... I particularly like the caption on the picture of the
horizontal stab - "A Tail Wing".

Rich S.

Old December 11th 03, 05:22 PM
Jay

In motorcycle circles, aren't Harleys known more for their nostalga
and styling and less for their power to weight ratio?

om...

Old December 11th 03, 10:03 PM
Bart D. Hull

Jay,

I agree with you on the style vs. power to weight, but a Harley does
have the advantage of "loosing" the transmission and just using the
engine as a direct drive. The PSRU would put the Harley into it's
power range so that ain't too bad either.

USAF used to use 2 Moto Guzzi V50 (500CC) engines on their prop
driven pusher-puller design ROV in the late 80's. I saw one up close
at a small field near the Arizona - Mexican border. Same idea, lose
the gearbox and put a GM alternator to power all the toys in the
baggage section.

--
Bart D. Hull

Tempe, Arizona

Check
http://www.inficad.com/~bdhull/engine.html
for my Subaru Engine Conversion
Check http://www.inficad.com/~bdhull/fuselage.html
for Tango II I'm building.

Jay wrote:
In motorcycle circles, aren't Harleys known more for their nostalga
and styling and less for their power to weight ratio?

"Larry Smith" wrote in message ...

.com...

Old December 11th 03, 11:44 PM
Bushy

In motorcycle circles, aren't Harleys known more for their nostalga
and styling and less for their power to weight ratio?

No, they are known for having to have a ute (and a trailer cause there will
be more than one!) follow the ride to bring home the broken ones. Unless you
count the fancy new motordesigned in Germany they have a typical TBO of 400
hours.

Every Harley I know, is in pieces more often than it is riden.

Hope this helps,
Peter

Old December 12th 03, 11:39 AM
RR Urban

In motorcycle circles, aren't Harleys known more for their nostalga
and styling and less for their power to weight ratio?

Oh, they're known for their power to weight ratio - it's lower than
just about any other bike (with the exception of my bicycle of
course).

Mark Hickey

In the case of aircraft applications...
this is a GOOD THING towards reliability.

Barnyard BOb - .5 hp/cid

Old December 12th 03, 02:10 PM
Jimmy Galvin

QUESTION:
Why doesn't Harley Davidson make televisions?

ANSWER:
They can't figure out how to make them leak oil.