SSA OLC Region for Flight Claim

Old July 2nd 06, 09:04 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jack[_1_]

Default SSA OLC Region for Flight Claim

Several SSA OLC competitors in the recent Region 6 South contest at
Caesar Creek OH appear to have entered their flights in their respective
home regions (other than Region 6), even though no point on the flight
tracks lies outside of Region 6. There are other instances where pilots
have listed their flights in a different region than both the region in
which the flight was flown and their home club region. Usually this is
an adjacent region, indicating perhaps too little care with the
pull-down menu choices.

One may correct an entry made no more than four weeks ago. Instructions
he

http://tinyurl.com/r2lcb

Objections ("complaints" or "partner-checks") to uncorrected entries can
be lodged he

http://tinyurl.com/qqqsv

Anonymous complaints will not be processed.

Jack

Old July 2nd 06, 03:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Greg Arnold

If I am a Region 12 (So Cal) pilot flying in Region 11 (Nevada, among
other places), I must enter the flight in Region 11? Could you cite the
rule that says that?

Old July 2nd 06, 05:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Greg Arnold wrote:
If I am a Region 12 (So Cal) pilot flying in Region 11 (Nevada, among
other places), I must enter the flight in Region 11? Could you cite the
rule that says that?

I'll bite (since no explicit rule exists as you suggest....)

-Quoting the rules (see last sentence):

6. Flight claiming
Fliht claims will be only accepted at www.onlinecontest.org. Claimes
have to be submitted by 24:00 (midnight) on the Tuesday following the
flight local time of the finish point.
The IGC-file has to be submitted as part of the flight claim.
By submitting the flight the participant certifies that the flight took
place as claimed.

-end quote

If you submit, you are stating the flight "took place as claimed", and
since specifiying the region is part of the claim you must specify the
correct region, else you are not following the rules.

Let the guy who makes the best flight in the region win that region....
or is this stating the obvious?

.... not a lawyer......

Old July 2nd 06, 06:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Greg Arnold

wrote:
Greg Arnold wrote:
[...]

The SeeYou claim form has a place to state the region, but it doesn't
say whether this is the region of the pilot or the region of the flight.
At the present time, most of the Region 12 pilots flying in Region 11
are claiming as Region 12.

Old July 2nd 06, 07:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jack[_1_]

Greg Arnold wrote:
If I am a Region 12 (So Cal) pilot flying in Region 11 (Nevada, among
other places), I must enter the flight in Region 11? Could you cite the
rule that says that?

The info below is cut-and-pasted directly from the OLC site

http://tinyurl.com/qqqsv

(note specifically under "Reason for complaint...: No fix in the region").

----------------
FLIGHT COMPLAINT

Dear Competitor,
the 'Partner-Check' is a very important aspect of the OLC system.
Whenever you find a faulty flight claim, please use the 'Patner-Check'
to inform us about the irregularity.
It is not denigrating but it helps the OLC-team to remove errors from
the scoring, as we have no time to check all the flights in detail.
Our time permits only random checks of flight claims.
We hope to have listed all possible irregularities in the complaint
form below, but if we have missed something send a mail to :
.
If you have a complaint about a flight , please complete the from
below, and send it to us by pressing 'Send' in the from.

Our OLC-Team

Information on the flight

Select the OLC:

Date of flight (dd.mm.yy):

Name of competitor:

Scored distance in km (xxxx.xx):

Reason for complaint, multiple choices possible:
DAeC-Index wrong, the correct one is:
Flight twice in scoring
No fix in the region
Departure time wrong
Finish time wrong
Means of propulsion active during soaring performance
Airspace infringement

Information on me:
Given name and name:
E-Mail for questions:
Telephone:

Anonymous complaints will not be processed.

I think others will agree that details of OLC rules have not been
clearly presented in the past, though SSA-OLC Administrator Doug Haluza
has gone a long way recently toward making the SSA OLC more accessible
to all of us. If I am wrong in my assessment of this issue, I apologize
for adding to the confusion. I believe this is an area that needs
further clarification.

We have 12 Regions because we have very different soaring conditions and
opportunities in this great expanse called the USA. It seems to me
completely illogical that wave flights in Region 11 or ridge flights in
Region 2 should be considered in comparison to thermal flights in Region
6, for example, when establishing Regional standings for clubs and
individuals.

These errors sometimes result from keyboard errors in data entry. They
also result when a pilot based in one region travels to a different
region for a contest, training, or recreation and does not realize that
a flight anywhere may be entered for the pilot and for his club but
should not be entered for a region outside the one in which it was flown.

Entrants, and their competitors, should be concerned about both sources
of inappropriate and misleading information.

Jack

Old July 3rd 06, 12:12 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell[_1_]

Jack wrote:
Greg Arnold wrote:
If I am a Region 12 (So Cal) pilot flying in Region 11 (Nevada, among
other places), I must enter the flight in Region 11? Could you cite
the rule that says that?

snip

I think others will agree that details of OLC rules have not been
clearly presented in the past, though SSA-OLC Administrator Doug Haluza
has gone a long way recently toward making the SSA OLC more accessible
to all of us. If I am wrong in my assessment of this issue, I apologize
for adding to the confusion. I believe this is an area that needs
further clarification.

Maybe not: I can't find any reference to the use of Region in the
USA-OLC, so I don't think Region has any significance at this point.
There are Champion listings, and Statistics by Airfield, Club, All
Flights, and Best Flights, but none by Region.

We have 12 Regions because we have very different soaring conditions and
opportunities in this great expanse called the USA. It seems to me
completely illogical that wave flights in Region 11 or ridge flights in
Region 2 should be considered in comparison to thermal flights in Region
6, for example, when establishing Regional standings for clubs and
individuals.

Maybe I'm missing something, but where are the Regional Standings
listed? I don't see them on the SSA-OLC page or mentioned in the rules.
My understanding is the Region designation may be used at some later
date, but I don't see any use of it now.

These errors sometimes result from keyboard errors in data entry. They
also result when a pilot based in one region travels to a different
region for a contest, training, or recreation and does not realize that
a flight anywhere may be entered for the pilot and for his club but
should not be entered for a region outside the one in which it was flown.

My understanding is the Region entry is for the pilot, NOT where the
flight was made. That's how I've been entering my flights, including 10
flown outside my Region this year. I didn't even know what Region I was
in for those flights, but you can find out by looking a the trace and a
map of the Regions. But, without any scoring based on regions, why bother?

Entrants, and their competitors, should be concerned about both sources
of inappropriate and misleading information.

Should the Region be where the pilot is from, where the glider is
launched from, where soaring begins, or where the OLC start is? A single
flight could have three different answers for these four questions, and
none of this is discussed in the rules that I can find.

Eric Greenwell - Washington State, USA

www.motorglider.org - Download "A Guide to Self-launching Sailplane
Operation"
Old July 3rd 06, 12:17 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Greg Arnold

I hope the OLC publicizes this rule before they start disqualifying
flights for listing the wrong region. Since the OLC software can find
the field at which the launch was made, perhaps it also could determine
the correct region.

It also would be good if the OLC webpage gave us a way of getting a list
of all flights by pilots who live in a certain region (regardless of
where flown), as otherwise on a Saturday or Sunday you may have to look
through a list of 100 flights to find the ones done by local pilots who
are flying in another region.

Jack wrote:
Greg Arnold wrote:
[...]

Date of flight (dd.mm.yy):

Old July 3rd 06, 12:21 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Greg Arnold

Eric, I have been looking at flights by Region for some time. Find the
Region of choice in the box beneath the blue at the top of the OLC page.

However, I had thought this list was by the Region where pilots are
based, but it appears the list really is by Region where the flight
occurred. Thus, there is no way to get a list of all flights by pilots
in a region.

Old July 3rd 06, 05:57 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell[_1_]

Greg Arnold wrote:
Eric, I have been looking at flights by Region for some time. Find the
Region of choice in the box beneath the blue at the top of the OLC page.

It took me a long while to find it, because I'm accustomed to using the
"North America" button from the OLC home page (which doesn't show it),
rather than the "US" button. I like to see what the Canadians are up to.

However, I had thought this list was by the Region where pilots are
based, but it appears the list really is by Region where the flight
occurred.

It does seem like it, since selecting Region 8 (my region) shows the
Canadian pilots entered in our Regional contest, even though their
region is listed as "BC/AB". Their flights do not show up in the Canada
listing. I notice the Canadian page region selection includes "USA" (in
addition to AB/BC, SK/MB, etc), so maybe that's what the Canadians in
the Region 8 contest selected so it would appear in the US listing.

Thus, there is no way to get a list of all flights by pilots
in a region.

I am still puzzled about the intent of the Region selection. I've always
thought it was for the pilot's region. For Daily Score, region selection
seems to pick flights within the region, but for "Statistics:all
flights", the region selection seems to pick "by pilot", as all my
flights in several regions show up there.

I still can't find anything in the rules about what region you should
enter when submitting a flight, so I won't be changing what I'm doing.

Old July 3rd 06, 04:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Frank Whiteley

Eric Greenwell wrote:
Greg Arnold wrote:
[...]

As a state governor, I requested a state filter (by pilot and or flight
origination), noting at the time the lack of much useful from the
regional filter from my perspective. There are soaring sites that
border regional boundaries. Though home airfield is in one region, the
flights are actually done largely in the adjacent region.

Importing into Excel was my solution. It allowed me to filter out
flights done out of state and limit awards to flights actually staring
within Colorado. Pre-filtering by having pilots file under their home
region, especially in the absence of any organized regional awards
effort is useful. If they file a flight out of region, it won't show
up in the pre-filter, but that's not an issue as the flight won't be
counted anyway.

I would like a filter that showed me any flight terminating in Colorado
(easier for this state than others) though. Like to know where roaming
pilots are arriving from.

Frank Whiteley