Anyone dissapointed with Oshgosh?

Old August 15th 03, 05:24 PM
pittss1c

It is easy to find out where the money comes from: EAA publishes their
income in the magazine every year

You will see the clearly don't make much money from oshkosh. (last time I
looked, I think it was under 2 mil)

Anyone want to buy a bridge?

Mike

"Jim Vadek" wrote in message

"Ron Wanttaja" wrote in message
On 14 Aug 2003 17:48:02 -0700, (Lou Parker) wrote:

I'm building a wood and fabric plane and would have loved to talk to
others about their planes but there were none to be found. I looked
for manufacturers of wooden kits but only Fisher had the gonads to
show their product.
If the wood kits are as good as we are led to believe, why don?t they
show us what they have to offer?

Cost, most likely. We had a recent post that a small booth in the
swap-meet area was about $1500, and a small display booth inside the
hangars was over $2000. I don't know how much an outdoor display spot

is,
but suspect it's over two grand, as well. Add in the expense of
transporting your wares and people, finding housing for your employees,
etc.

I have been going to OSH for the last 5 years, but I get the distinct
impression that the EAA is screwing just about everyone it can screw. For
instance, airplane camping and admission for the whole week runs into the
hundreds of dollars. What do you get for it? Overcrowded shower facilities
that are usually filthy and poor bus service from the North 40. That's

all.
And then they have the collection box for more money when you get on the
bus... Food prices are way out of line too. At least gas was $1.99/gallon
this year - amazing what a little competition will do.

So where does all this money go? Or am I being unrealistic. Either way,
please tell me - I sure would like to know. Or is the EAA just another
greedy commercial enterprise?

-- Jim

Old August 15th 03, 05:32 PM
Ron Natalie

"pittss1c" wrote in message ...
It is easy to find out where the money comes from: EAA publishes their
income in the magazine every year

You will see the clearly don't make much money from oshkosh. (last time I
looked, I think it was under 2 mil)

I believe that is right. It's split across the EAA proper and the foundation, but if
I recall, the EAA a few years ago was making about a million on a five million gross.
The shows a big deal, but it's just a part of the EAA budget.

Old August 15th 03, 08:56 PM
RobertR237

In article , "Morgans"
writes:

Yes, I agree that their were wood airplanes to see, but I also see one part
of his complaint.

I have (in past years) wanted very much to talk to the owners of a specific
few aircraft, but no matter when I went by their planes, they were never
there.

I would suggest that on the cards that everyone hangs on their props, there
be a space that would say something like "times to talk to the owner", and
ask that everyone put at least one time per day that they would be willing
to be at their plane, to answer questions. I know not everyone would go for
it, but it would be nice for those that would.
--
Jim in NC--

Good idea Jim, I hope that this suggestion will be noted by the appropriate
people with EAA. If not, why not send it into them and possibly it can be done
by next year.

Bob Reed

"Ladies and Gentlemen, take my advice,
(M.A.S.H. Sidney Freedman)

Old August 15th 03, 10:44 PM
pac plyer

I would suggest that on the cards that everyone hangs on their props, there
be a space that would say something like "times to talk to the owner", and
ask that everyone put at least one time per day that they would be willing
to be at their plane, to answer questions. I know not everyone would go for
it, but it would be nice for those that would.

Dear Airshow Grouchies:
How to have a good time and not spend too much money:
Just leave a note on the a/c. If the guy has any voice left after Osh
he'll give you a collect call and talk all day to you. Worked for me.
Agreed it's better in person.

My last Osh was in 97', and had a grand time. Gunna try to go next
year if we can get our old Appache/Aztec back up flying again. The
only way to fly is to haul a mo-ped or scooter. This way you can be
the first one to the showers in the morning (late...full? no-prob)
scoot over to the next trailer, or the next. (bring a bike chain and
lock dummy; for the fence.) Then putter over to the Wal-Mart or
low-cost joint for cheap campsite cooking supplies (good to have a
basket and license plate on that sucker.)

So after you land, get the wife/dog/copilot to hold up a piece of
cardboard or something with big "Row 108" lettering on it and show it
to every ground volt. marshaller you see. they will lead you by the
hand and point you to the best secret spot there is. Try to get out by
the par. taxiway. This will put you between two runway patterns.
Turn up the scanner, grab an econ beer out of the chest and enjoy your
private show. Hell, I only made it over to the side with the herd 4
out of seven days. Now's the time to start being nice to your pal
that owns a Stationair, Cherokee Six, or junk twin like ours. You
will have to take the front seat out at both ends of the trip and push
the two man-scooter up against the two front seats for C.G. Don't
forget to sputter over to Friar Tucks and pretend you are one of the
Airshow pilots. Guy was a dentist I discovered after about five
minutes of B.S. :-)

paclyer
Old August 15th 03, 11:30 PM
Morgans

"pac plyer" wrote
Dear Airshow Grouchies:\

No grouchies on my part. I love OSH! It was only a suggestion, so those
really into looking at the planes in showplane row could really see more of
the beauties they brought. A call afterwards just wouldn't do it.

I normally volunteer on homebuilt row at least 20 hours during the week, and
camp on the grounds, at the explorer base, and have more responsibilities
ther. I still love it. I couldn't go this year, due to having back
surgery, but I'll be there next year.
--
Jim in NC--

Old August 16th 03, 02:29 AM
Ron Wanttaja

On Fri, 15 Aug 2003 12:23:56 -0400, "Morgans"
wrote:

I would suggest that on the cards that everyone hangs on their props, there
be a space that would say something like "times to talk to the owner", and
ask that everyone put at least one time per day that they would be willing
to be at their plane, to answer questions. I know not everyone would go for
it, but it would be nice for those that would.

We had arranged a get-together for the guys on the Fly Baby mailing list,
but the owner of one of the Fly Babies on the field wasn't a member. I
stuck a note on his panel about the meeting.

He showed up...as well as two or three OTHER Fly Baby fans, who'd seen the
note....

Ron Wanttaja
Old August 16th 03, 04:51 AM
pac plyer

"Morgans" wrote in message ...
"pac plyer" wrote
Dear Airshow Grouchies:\

No grouchies on my part. I love OSH! It was only a suggestion, so those
really into looking at the planes in showplane row could really see more of
the beauties they brought. A call afterwards just wouldn't do it.

I normally volunteer on homebuilt row at least 20 hours during the week, and
camp on the grounds, at the explorer base, and have more responsibilities
ther. I still love it. I couldn't go this year, due to having back
surgery, but I'll be there next year.

You are a damn good man Jim,

Fast recovery,

pacplyer
Old August 16th 03, 05:30 AM
Daniel

Ed Wischmeyer wrote...

First, EAA is a 501(c)3 corporation, i.e., charitable, tax exempt.

Charitable for tax purposes. It's a nonprofit. Doesn't mean they
can't take in more money than needed, just that they cannot disperse
it as profits, i.e. they have to spend it on the EAA. The result is
that like almost all nonprofits, the EAA has evolved into an
organization focused on & dedicated to its own itself rather than its
members. If you doubt that, look at how the EAA has grown while
homebuilding has shrunk.

Where did your money go? ...

Read their IRS-990 filings (the mag only give totals). When you see
22 employees drawing salaries in excess of $50,000 excluding officers,
you start to get a clue. The 990's for the sister organizations, SnF,
the museums, etcetera read similarly.

Best advice? ...

Best advice if you're interested in experimental aviation would be to
skip EAA events & go to flyins instead.

Daniel
Old August 16th 03, 06:32 AM
Jerry Springer

Daniel wrote:

[...]

I got a letter from national saying I cannot belong to the local chapter
anymore because I don't belong to national. Screw em. I well support
other organazations from now on.

Jerry

Old August 16th 03, 11:44 AM
Scott

Do you mean to imply that $50,000 a year is an exorbitant amount for an
employee to be paid? When new Chevy pickups cost $30,000 each for a
moderately equipped unit it isn't hard to see that $50K won't go very
far today if you want to indulge in things like flying. Are you also
implying that those employees do nothing and are getting a $50K handout
annually? Hell, I couldn't have much in the way of any hobbies on $50K
per year and we only have a small family of 3!

Scott
http://corbenflyer.tripod.com
Building RV-4
Gotta Fly or Gonna Die!