Oshkosh Reflections

Old August 4th 05, 01:38 PM
Jim Burns

Let me try to make you feel a little better....

Since the $40 is such a small amount, you would simply "expense" it, I can't
imagine putting a couple bikes on a depreciation schedule.... so the $40
that you paid you can deduct from your taxable income... if you're at a 30%
rate, the real cost of your bikes was $28.

But then you took them back and got a reciept for a $40 donation to
Goodwill... if you're able to deduct 100% of that amount from your taxable
income, you can take another $12 off your tax bill.

So I'd say that the use of the bikes cost you about $16.

Jim

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
Then -- best of all -- on our last day, we returned the bikes to the
Goodwill store, and they gave us a receipt for a $40 tax write-off!
Free bikes for the week!

Uh.... Jay ...... A $40 tax writeoff isn't the same as a refund. Those
bikes cost you about $25-30. Cheap, but it ain't free.

Hey, your crappy reality can't burst my fantasy bubble!

:-)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old August 4th 05, 01:45 PM
Jay Honeck

So I'd say that the use of the bikes cost you about $16.

Compare THAT to Peninsula State Park (in Door County, WI), where bike rental
is close to that per HOUR for a single bike....

:-)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old August 4th 05, 01:50 PM
Jay Honeck

So thanks, Jay, for the hospitality, and thanks to the entire aviation
community for demonstrating just how great a group it is. I won't be
forgetting this one for a while.

You're welcome, Tony! This newsgroup is chock-full of wonderful folks -- as
is the aviation community as a whole. You'll always find good camaraderie
and advice in a group of pilots, that's for sure -- it was our pleasure
meeting you.

And just to make sure of that, I get to sort through 2000 digital
pictures...

My Gawd. And I was ****ed about having to sort through 2 HUNDRED pix!
Shoot, just looking at them will fill your days until the NEXT Oshkosh!

:-)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old August 4th 05, 02:03 PM
Jim Burns

Dang.... don't remind me.... thinking of doing the Mackinac Island thing yet
this summer.... even $45 per day is crazy. Let me know when Goodwill has
some foldup mountain bikes, will ya?
Jim

Old August 4th 05, 03:05 PM
john smith

Jay Honeck wrote:
I'm just kidding you, Eric. She was really nice, and fun to talk with at
the party. And she knew her flying stuff, too.

Give her another year and she will have her Commercial, CFI, MEA, Multi-I.

I'm surprised she's single! I can think of about 200 pilots who would love
to meet a chick like her...

And she is an IT-Techi, too!
Old August 4th 05, 04:55 PM
George Patterson

Jay Honeck wrote:

I'm surprised she's single! I can think of about 200 pilots who would love
to meet a chick like her...

She's probably still single because they think of her as a "chick."

George Patterson
Old August 4th 05, 04:57 PM
George Patterson

Jim Burns wrote:

Let me know when Goodwill has
some foldup mountain bikes, will ya?

Well, if the weather here in NJ is any indication, hell isn't getting any colder.

George Patterson
Old August 4th 05, 07:51 PM
Roger

On Thu, 4 Aug 2005 08:03:39 -0500, "Jim Burns"
wrote:

Dang.... don't remind me.... thinking of doing the Mackinac Island thing yet
this summer.... even $45 per day is crazy. Let me know when Goodwill has
some foldup mountain bikes, will ya?

Depends on your airplane, but I've found that many are capable of
taking a full size bikd if you take the wheels off. With modern bikes,
that only takes seconds and maybe a minute to put them back on.

It all depends on accessable the baggage compartment. On our's (low
wing) you have to put the bikes in over the seats, but in many high
wing planes it's pretty easy.

There's nothing like having a good quality bike that fits you compared
to most rentals. Then again, it's easy to get spoiled. Of course you
can get carried away with quality and easily put several grand in one.
Mine was a lot cheaper and "used".

(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com
Jim

Old August 4th 05, 08:41 PM
Jim Burns

The problem is, I need four!
If we took the rear seat out of the Aztec, we'd have plenty of room for
them. The rear seat back is the "front" of the rear baggage compartment.
Someday (year) we'll get that rear bench out of there and get the two
buckets installed back there.
Jim

Old August 4th 05, 11:23 PM
Matt Whiting

Dave Stadt wrote:
"Jay Honeck" wrote in message

I have no idea if Sean pulled any strings to get the SOT in the EAA
lineup, but with all the backing they have from other big-names in the
airshow business, I doubt it was necessary.

You make many good points, Scott. And I have no way to refute them.

However, the fact remains that one of the best new airshow performers in

the

country, Skip Stewart -- a guy who has recently been written up and

profiled

in half a dozen top-notch aviation magazines as being THE up-and-comer in
the airshow industry -- sat on the ground WITH HIS PLANE, itching to go

up,

while three relative unknowns took to the skies over OSH.

That is crap, IMHO, and stinks of nepotism, whether it was or not.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Could be Skip Stewart was not willing to fly for free. None of the airshow
pilots at OSH get paid. Could also be he had a scheduling conflict. Could
be a multitude of factors other than nepotism.

Yes, it would be nice to know the real reason. I read the profile on
Skip in a recent issue of AOPA Pilot and was a little turned off when
the last two paragraphs focused on money, especially his comment about
getting his fee up closer to five figures...

Matt

Oshkosh - Saturday David Odum Home Built 6 September 24th 05 05:09 PM
Oshkosh - Saturday David Odum Piloting 6 September 24th 05 05:09 PM
Oshkosh Reflections Jay Honeck Home Built 54 August 16th 05 09:24 PM
How I got to Oshkosh (long) Doug Owning 2 August 18th 03 12:05 AM
CQ Oshkosh, CQ Oshkosh Warren & Nancy Home Built 4 July 3rd 03 06:42 PM