Haven't flown in a long while...

Old January 31st 06, 04:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default Haven't flown in a long while...

Flyingmonk wrote:

It's not the thought of dying or getting hurt that scares me, not by a
long shot. It is the thought of my girls growing w/o a father or a
crippled one, that's scary.

A few years ago I went over the handlebars of my mountain bike so hard that
I broke the helmet almost in half. Fortunately for me and my family, I
escaped serious and permanent injury.

Later that night I posted this experience in one of the mountain biking
newsgroups along with the question, "As a father of two small boys, should
I really be doing this anymore?"

One poster replied with the following that made a lot of sense: "If I were
a child who learned that my father stopped doing all of the activities he
enjoyed solely for my benefit, I would be very saddened."

--
Peter
Old January 31st 06, 04:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Jay Honeck wrote:

I remember when they were real little, and we'd have to strap them in their
car seats in the back seat, and I would wonder to myself how in the world
would I EVER get them out in the event of a crash. Post-crash fires were
(and are) my greatest nightmare, but at least now they're self-mobile, and
could get out in a hurry under their own steam. Back then, strapped in car
seats, they would have been doomed.

I also have this thought with regards to careening off a cliff into deep
water despite the fact that there really are no cliffs into water near any
of the roads I commonly drive with the family.

--
Peter
Old January 31st 06, 04:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Flyingmonk wrote:
Just because someone might have 20,000 hours doesn't mean he's a safe pilot
in a GA aircraft. In fact, I know a couple of airline Captains (both
recently retired) that I wouldn't get in a 172 with. Neither of them have
the "love" of flying that it took to stay current with out George doing most
of the flying for them. In fact, some of the safest pilots I've been around
lately are lower-time guys. I guess it's because their mindset is that they
know they may screwup so they do everything they can to do it right. Being
"comfortable" can bite you...IMHO.

It's not the thought of dying or getting hurt that scares me, not by a
long shot. It is the thought of my girls growing w/o a father or a
crippled one, that's scary.

The Monk

If you want a safer past time or hobby. Try riding motorcycles.

Old January 31st 06, 04:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

If you can keep from running out of fuel and fly behind a better than
average engine you lower your risk considerably.

Old January 31st 06, 04:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

by "Sport Pilot" hppilot001@[EMAIL PROTECTED] Jan 31, 2006 at 08:17 AM

If you want a safer past time or hobby. Try riding motorcycles

I've done a little flying and a lot of bike riding. Studies say they are
about equally risky.

My impression is that riding motorcycles is far more dangerous than
proficient flier who is cautious.

Of course, the planes make much more noise....

Old January 31st 06, 06:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Skylune wrote:
by "Sport Pilot" hppilot001@[EMAIL PROTECTED] Jan 31, 2006 at 08:17 AM

If you want a safer past time or hobby. Try riding motorcycles

I've done a little flying and a lot of bike riding. Studies say they are
about equally risky.

My impression is that riding motorcycles is far more dangerous than
proficient flier who is cautious.

Of course, the planes make much more noise....

Statistics say that the only thing more dangerous than flying small
planes is skydiving. However that includes IFR. I recall reading in
aviation consumer years ago that VFR flying is safer than motorcycles
but still behind automobiles. IMO a lot could be done about small
aircraft safety. I recall Burt Rutan proposed a system that would
probably make IFR flying safer, but would add expense for a heads up
display.

Old January 31st 06, 07:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Of course, the planes make much more noise....

???

Clearly you've never lived in the Milwaukee area. For some reason, the
Harley crowd finds it necessary and desireable to drill out their
mufflers almost immediately after bringing their Hog home from the
dealer...

They're ubiquitous in summer, and at least twice as loud as any
airplane short of a Harrier jump jet.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old January 31st 06, 08:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

???

Clearly you've never lived in the Milwaukee area. For some reason, the
Harley crowd finds it necessary and desireable to drill out their

mufflers almost immediately after bringing their Hog home from the
dealer...

They're ubiquitous in summer, and at least twice as loud as any
airplane short of a Harrier jump jet.

If they did that in my current (New Hampshire) state, or former state (NY)
they would be ticketed by the police. There are noise laws.

Old January 31st 06, 08:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

by "Sport Pilot" Jan 31, 2006 at 10:01 AM

Statistics say that the only thing more dangerous than flying small
planes is skydiving. However that includes IFR. I recall reading in
aviation consumer years ago that VFR flying is safer than motorcycles
but still behind automobiles. IMO a lot could be done about small
aircraft safety. I recall Burt Rutan proposed a system that would
probably make IFR flying safer, but would add expense for a heads up
display.

Well, I think scuba diving is also up there as high risk. I'm not saying
that flying a small plane is not "high risk" (thats y so many life
insurance companies have exclusions for diving, flying and skydiving),
just that a cautious flyer (not pushing minimums, thourough pre flight
100% of the time, flying a relatively new plane, etc.) is safer than
riding a bike, IMO.

I don't think there will ever be a way to 100% objectively compare safety
statistics of different modes of transportation, but the most thoughtful
studies have put it about at the level of riding a bike. But I still
think flying a plane puts most of the risk on the pilot (training,
competence, currency, etc.) whereas on a motorcycle, you are at the whim
of people in cars and trucks.

I had numerous close calls on my old Yamaha RD 350 when I was in my 20s.
All caused by cars that didn't see me or just didn't care. When I flew in
the past, I wasn't really worried about a mid air. These are statistically
rare.

Old January 31st 06, 08:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

by "Skylune" Jan 31, 2006 at 03:23 PM

???

Clearly you've never lived in the Milwaukee area. For some reason, the
Harley crowd finds it necessary and desireable to drill out their

mufflers almost immediately after bringing their Hog home from the
dealer...

They're ubiquitous in summer, and at least twice as loud as any
airplane short of a Harrier jump jet.

If they did that in my current (New Hampshire) state, or former state
(NY)
they would be ticketed by the police. There are noise laws.

BTW, there are also strict limits on noise boats can make. I personally
know of boaters that were ticketed for loud exhausts. Most states have
regulations.

http://www.marineparts.com/partspage.../noiselaws.htm

I repeat a basic FACT: only small planes are exempt from any and all
noise regulations.