Haven't flown in a long while...

Old January 31st 06, 08:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default Haven't flown in a long while...

"Skylune" wrote in message
lkaboutaviation.com...
???

Clearly you've never lived in the Milwaukee area. For some reason, the
Harley crowd finds it necessary and desireable to drill out their

mufflers almost immediately after bringing their Hog home from the
dealer...

They're ubiquitous in summer, and at least twice as loud as any
airplane short of a Harrier jump jet.

If they did that in my current (New Hampshire) state, or former state (NY)
they would be ticketed by the police. There are noise laws.

Chances are the laws are not enforced. Most states have noise laws but
enforcement is very far down the list of police priorities.

Old January 31st 06, 09:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Chances are the laws are not enforced. Most states have noise laws but
enforcement is very far down the list of police priorities.

This is not true in Manchester NH, Nashua NH, and in the lakes region.
Try riding a bike with straight pipes and see what happens.

But I'd settle for a noise law on planes, even if loosely enforced. Now
there are no laws for planes.

Old January 31st 06, 09:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Cycles' roar is No. 1
NH noise complaint
By MARK HAYWARD
Union Leader Staff

Last summer, police in Seacoast towns decided to clamp down on noise from
motorcycles and car stereos.

State and local police manned road blocks and initially distributed
literature and warnings. Since then, they have been issuing tickets to
noisy motorcyclists and for loud car stereos.

It is not easy; Hampton must hire special details, often at overtime
rates, to enforce the noise ordinance, said Police Chief William Wrenn.
But noise had become the number-one complaint in the region during summer
months

“I believe it’s had an impact,” Wrenn said about his efforts. “It’s a
tremendous problem today, especially with motorcycles. They have a
tendency to want to be loud.”

Old January 31st 06, 09:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
oups.com...
Of course, the planes make much more noise....

???

--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

I saw this on a H/D tee shirt:

"Loud Pipes Save Lives"

I guess the sentiment is if they can't see you coming, make sure they HEAR
you coming...

Jay B

Old January 31st 06, 10:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

by B A R R Y Jan 31, 2006 at
09:50 PM

On Tue, 31 Jan 2006 14:39:22 -0700, "Jay Beckman"
wrote:

"Loud Pipes Save Lives"

I guess the sentiment is if they can't see you coming, make sure they

HEAR
you coming...

A good friend of mine who is a multi-generational cycle freak, but not
much of a Harley guy always asks: "Why, are they going to point them
out the front?" G

He's a Triumph, Ducati, BMW, and the occasional Japanese motocross
type of guy who doesn't think a bike needs to be loud to sound good.
But then again, he also wears protective riding suits of leather and
kevlar, and a full-face helmet.

How about "ape hanger" handlebars? G

The "Loud Pipes save Lives" sound bite is silly and every bit as
disingenuous as the amateurish AOPA propaganda. Its a total joke, and
anyone with half a brain knows that is not the REAL reason.

Old February 1st 06, 12:17 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"Skylune" wrote in message
lkaboutaviation.com...
Cycles' roar is No. 1
NH noise complaint
By MARK HAYWARD
Union Leader Staff
It is not easy; Hampton must hire special details, often at overtime
rates, to enforce the noise ordinance, said Police Chief William Wrenn.
But noise had become the number-one complaint in the region during summer
months

I'm glad we agree. Noise from small airplanes just plane isn't a problem
when compared to other sources.

I used to live about 2 miles from the Detroit River, and about 3 miles from
an airport. I could hear the boats on the water just fine. The only aircraft
noise I used to notice was from the Goodyear Blimp. I always liked to hear
that, because then I knew to dash down to the airport to watch it come in.

Where I live now, there is a B17 that rumbles overhead pretty regularly
(Yankee Airforce Museum) - That's always nice to hear, but unless I'm
looking up, I don't notice small planes. Trains, and the nieghbors dogs, on
the other hand...

--
Geoff
the sea hawk at wow way d0t com

Old February 1st 06, 01:23 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Just curious, does anyone operate a Seaplane on the Detroit River? Are
there any desirable places where you can live and have a dock on the
Detroit River?

Old February 1st 06, 03:22 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"Doug" wrote in message
oups.com...
Just curious, does anyone operate a Seaplane on the Detroit River? Are
there any desirable places where you can live and have a dock on the
Detroit River?

I'm not aware of any active sea plane bases any more. But I would assume
that there are some float planes still in the area though. You are probably
more likely to find them on smaller lakes.

All it takes is money. On the downriver end, there are lots of homes with
docks on Grosse Ile (river and canals), Gibralter (mostly on canals), some
in Trenton and Wyandotte (on the river). Bois Blanc island (Bob-Lo) is now
all condo's (used to be an amusement park), but that's on the Canadian side.

There are new, upscale, waterfront developments going in on the east side of
Detroit. If you have LOTS of money you could buy lakefront property in the
Grosse Pointes but most of them don't have docks (pretty exposed - besides,
you belong to one of the yacht clubs anyhow, right?), lots of canals in St.
Clair Shores.

Old February 1st 06, 05:21 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"Capt. Geoffrey Thorpe" The Sea Hawk at wow way d0t com wrote in message
news:hNSdnbnfp5TttH3enZ2dnUVZ_s6dnZ2d@wideopenwest .com...

Snip

All it takes is money. On the downriver end, there are lots of homes with
docks on Grosse Ile (river and canals), Gibralter (mostly on canals), some
in Trenton and Wyandotte (on the river). Bois Blanc island (Bob-Lo) is now
all condo's (used to be an amusement park), but that's on the Canadian
side.

Bob-Lo is all condos now...?!?!?

*sigh*

Another happy childhood memory trashed!

Whatever became of the Bob-Lo Boats?

Jay B

Old February 2nd 06, 03:36 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"Capt. Geoffrey Thorpe" The Sea Hawk at wow way d0t com wrote

I'm not aware of any active sea plane bases any more. But I would assume
that there are some float planes still in the area though. You are
probably more likely to find them on smaller lakes.

\
In the area of the Detroit River, or anywhere?

Last time I was there, there was a base at Key West.
--
Jim in NC