visual contact with other traffic

Old September 22nd 06, 11:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Peter Duniho

Default visual contact with other traffic

"Bob Moore" wrote in message
21...
Judah...who-ever you are....you seem to be out of your league
in this newsgroup.

Why? Because he admitted he made a mistake? Yeah, I guess that is looked
down on around here.

Robert R. Moore
ATP B-707 B-727
Certificate # 1450645
CFI ASEL IA
PanAm (retired)

Too bad none of those letters and numbers included training in common
courtesy.

Old September 23rd 06, 12:32 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bob Moore

Peter Duniho wrote
Too bad none of those letters and numbers included training in common

courtesy.

Somebody with no name and no credentials comes on a newsgroup
populated with numerous professional pilots and ATC personal
and starts spewing forth a bunch of bull**** suposedly based
on the AIM and ACs deserves courtesy?

At least Mxsmanic tells us up front that he is a FlightSim guy
and knows nothing about which he speaks.

Juda makes false statements about the contents of the AIM in
an attempt to bolster his position in the discussion and got
caught.

Bob Moore
Old September 23rd 06, 12:38 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bob Moore

Bob Moore wrote
ATC personal

"personnel"

Bob Moore
Old September 23rd 06, 02:10 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
karl gruber[_1_]

Show me those "Official rules"

Karl
"Curator" N185KG

Officially, the rule is that planes are supposed to enter the pattern only
on
the downwind leg and coming in on a 45* angle for maximum visibility. You
can
"avoid" entering the pattern by flying a straight-in approach (ie: be on
Final) but entering on a Crosswind is not authorized.

Typically, I think most pilots who need to get to the other side of the
runway for the pattern fly over the runway and pattern by about 500', make
sure there is no one on the downwind, and then loop around as they drop
altitude to enter the pattern on a 45* angle as recommended.

I'm not sure that everyone follows the rules, but I'm pretty sure that
everyone certainly keeps their eyes open...

Old September 23rd 06, 02:38 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Peter Duniho

"Bob Moore" wrote in message
. 122...
Somebody with no name and no credentials comes on a newsgroup
populated with numerous professional pilots and ATC personal
and starts spewing forth a bunch of bull**** suposedly based
on the AIM and ACs deserves courtesy?

Lots of people post without full credentials. So what? It's not like
anyone is bothering to check to see whether you are the actual "Bob Moore"
you claim to be. You are no more "identified" here than anyone else, even
those posting without real names.

It's not like Judah is the first person to post incorrect information to
this newsgroup. One distinguishing factor is that he is one of the few
people to actually *admit* to having posted incorrect information. Most
people here would sooner die than admit an error. When's the last time you
admitted to making a mistake?

So, yes...I think he deserves some courtesy.

At least Mxsmanic tells us up front that he is a FlightSim guy
and knows nothing about which he speaks.

No, actually he has NEVER admitted to knowing nothing about which he speaks,
in spite of the fact that much of the time he clearly is in that state.
I'll take Judah's posts over those of Mxsmanic any day.

Juda makes false statements about the contents of the AIM in
an attempt to bolster his position in the discussion and got
caught.

Where do you get that? He made one incorrect statement, and the moment you
asked him about it, he clarified that "authorized" was the wrong word to
use. Hardly the work of a sociopathic liar.

Pete

Old September 23rd 06, 04:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Judah

"Steven P. McNicoll" wrote in
ink.net:

"Judah" wrote in message
. ..

You're right. I should have said not recommended in the AIM, Advisory
Circular No.90-66A, or the Pilot/Controller Glossary...

Sorry for the error.

Where is it stated in the AIM, Advisory Circular No.90-66A, or the
Pilot/Controller Glossary, that entering on a crosswind is not authorized?

It's not. I thought my correction was pretty clear. Entering on a Crosswind
is not recommended in the AIM, Advisory Circular No.90-66A, or the
Pilot/Controller Glossary. In fact, entering on a Crosswind is not discussed
at all in any aviation source that I have ever been exposed to, nor has it
been recommended to me by any CFI that I have flown with, or any other
aviator that I have talked to. Entering on a Crosswind has never been
recommended to me by anyone other than some guy on a newsgroup who didn't
even get flamed for it.

Entering at a 45* angle to the downwind, however, is recommended in the AIM,
in Advisory Circular No.90-66A, AND in the Pilot/Controller Glossary.
Entering on a "VFR Straight In" is discussed as well in the P/CG.

While these sources are indeed advisory in nature, certainly it's better
advice than the advice from a Newsgroup to enter on a Crosswind, which I have
not seen documented ANYWHERE else, nor do I personally believe to be safer
than entering as advised in the quoted sources.

Old September 23rd 06, 04:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Judah

Bob Moore wrote in
21:

Judah wrote
You're right. I should have said not recommended in the AIM, Advisory
Circular No.90-66A, or the Pilot/Controller Glossary...

Judah...who-ever you are....you seem to be out of your league
in this newsgroup.

Robert R. Moore
ATP B-707 B-727
Certificate # 1450645
CFI ASEL IA
PanAm (retired)

I appreciate the compliment. But I am just an ordinary pilot like many of the
other regular readers and posters to this newsgroup. I don't believe myself
to be above any of them.

Some of the trolls, perhaps. But even a troll has a mother.
Old September 23rd 06, 04:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Steven P. McNicoll[_1_]

"Judah" wrote in message
. ..

It's not. I thought my correction was pretty clear.

Sorry, it was. I meant to write, " Where is it stated in the AIM, Advisory
[...]

Why do you personally believe it not to be safer than entering as advised in
the quoted sources?

Old September 23rd 06, 04:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Judah

Bob Moore wrote in
. 122:

Somebody with no name and no credentials comes on a newsgroup
populated with numerous professional pilots and ATC personal
and starts spewing forth a bunch of bull**** suposedly based
on the AIM and ACs deserves courtesy?

I expected that someone with YOUR credentials would not require a complete
and thorough explanation of my mistake and my sources for my position. So I
saved the full-length version for the response to Todd Patist who, unlike
yourself, I did not recognize as a regular poster on this newsgroup.

Apparently, even with your credentials, you are fallible as all us regular
folk.

Unless you know somewhere in the AIM, ACs or P/CG (or anywhere else) that
recommends a Crosswind entry into a VFR pattern?

I've not seen it or heard of it, but I am certainly not a scholar in every
FAA document produced. Of course, I'm only an IR PP ASEL, not a CFI, ATP,
retired-RAF, Delta pilot, or even DE...

Juda makes false statements about the contents of the AIM in
an attempt to bolster his position in the discussion and got
caught.

My name is spelled Judah. Apparently, even you make mistakes on this
newsgroup. While you corrected your "ATC Personal" error, you didn't find it
necessary to correct the typo you made in my name.

Perhaps that makes you a deviant and I should flame you for it too.
Old September 23rd 06, 04:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Judah

"Peter Duniho" wrote in
:

So, yes...I think he deserves some courtesy.

snip
Where do you get that? He made one incorrect statement, and the moment
you asked him about it, he clarified that "authorized" was the wrong
word to use. Hardly the work of a sociopathic liar.

Pete

What is this newsgroup coming to?

First you and Jay are agreeing, and now you and I?

Seriously, though, I appreciate the courtesy...

Thanks.