TFR data source?

Old October 23rd 08, 12:36 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Tuno

Default TFR data source?

Does anyone know if there is an FTP or HTTP web resource where I can
download text-based, computer-parsable TFR descriptions on a regular
basis? (I've surfed the FAA and AOPA web sites but can only find
graphical versions.)

Thanks

ted in az usa
asg-29 n8829a
Old October 23rd 08, 12:46 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mike

"Tuno" wrote in message
Does anyone know if there is an FTP or HTTP web resource where I can
download text-based, computer-parsable TFR descriptions on a regular
basis? (I've surfed the FAA and AOPA web sites but can only find
graphical versions.)

Thanks

ted in az usa
asg-29 n8829a

tfr.faa.gov has both text and graphical.

As all TFRs are actually NOTAMs, you can get them from DUAT.com or DUATS.com
also.

Old October 23rd 08, 03:18 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Tuno

Thanks Mike -- I was already aware of those; the problem is there is
no formatted TFR data that I can download and parse programatically.
Whatever data is driving the graphical versions is what I'm interested
in -- it just seems to be under lock and key somewhere.

-ted
Old October 23rd 08, 03:46 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mike

"Tuno" wrote in message
Thanks Mike -- I was already aware of those; the problem is there is
no formatted TFR data that I can download and parse programatically.
Whatever data is driving the graphical versions is what I'm interested
in -- it just seems to be under lock and key somewhere.

I'm not sure exactly what you're looking for, or what you're trying to do
ultimately.

I think you can still access DUATS via Telnet. If you access FDC NOTAMs
only on the DUAT site, the TFRs are listed first, so perhaps it's the same
via Telnet, but you may have to access each state individually and download
a lot of other FDC NOTAMs you don't need, but perhaps this is a solution
that might work for you.

The FAA NOTAM server is located at the FAA command center. The FAA doesn't
provide direct access. They disseminate the information via the tfr.faa.gov
web site and to 3rd party providers like GTE DUAT and CSC DUATS. How AOPA
and other providers get the information is anyone's guess, but I suspect
they get it via Telnet from one of the 3rd party providers.

Old October 23rd 08, 04:35 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Tuno wrote:
Does anyone know if there is an FTP or HTTP web resource where I can
download text-based, computer-parsable TFR descriptions on a regular
basis? (I've surfed the FAA and AOPA web sites but can only find
graphical versions.)

Thanks

http://tfr.faa.gov/save_pages/notam_actual_notam number.html

Where a notam number such as 8/4722 is encoded as 8_4722 giving a URL of

http://tfr.faa.gov/save_pages/notam_actual_8_4722.html

This gives the raw notam text within a HTML table.

Since the notam text has a format of
td
FDC 8/5571 ZDZ ....
/td
it should be trivial to parse it out of the HTML.

--
Jim Pennino

Remove .spam.sux to reply.
Old October 23rd 08, 04:55 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Tuno

Jim: thanks -- this is new and good stuff, but I'm not sure it will
help me. The raw notam text is written for a human to read and make
sense; it's not formatted in a regular (e.g. tabular) way that I can
write a program to parse.

Mike et al: Here's what I'm trying to accomplish: I have a web page
that glider pilots use for getting specially formatted airspace data
files that are generated from the FAA's NFD. (See www.justsoar.com.)
For special soaring events, especially regional and national contests,
I want to add a feature that appends TFRs to the product data files.
To do this I have to be able to programatically download and parse
data files (or web pages) that provide the TFR data in a precise,
regular format, just like the NFD.

(The NFD uses the ARINC specification 424-15, which describes Special
Use Airspace polygons in terms of rhumb lines and arcs (e.g. from
point A to point B around center C of radius X). I'm looking for the
same style of descriptions for TFRs (and other NOTAMs).)

-ted
Old October 23rd 08, 05:35 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Tuno wrote:
[...]

Good luck on that.

TFR's are just notams, and while there is a consistant style to them,
they are meant to be human readable.

Parsing that text given the fixed style should be trivial for the
TFR's that are circular. Irregular shapes would be a bit harder.

However, there are also what I believe to be GIS files of some sort
at http://tfr.faa.gov/save_pages/notam number.shp.zip where
notam number is the same format as before.

I think these are only available for TFR's that have been graphically
mapped.

--
Jim Pennino

Remove .spam.sux to reply.
Old October 23rd 08, 03:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Darkwing

"Tuno" wrote in message
Does anyone know if there is an FTP or HTTP web resource where I can
download text-based, computer-parsable TFR descriptions on a regular
basis? (I've surfed the FAA and AOPA web sites but can only find
graphical versions.)

Thanks

ted in az usa
asg-29 n8829a

Doesn't AOPA display graphically all TFR's on their website?

Old October 23rd 08, 06:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Cheps Baps And Clunge

On Thu, 23 Oct 2008 02:46:03 GMT, Mike wrote:

I'm not sure exactly what you're looking for, or what you're trying to do
ultimately.

Which has nothing to do with the fact you're a full fledged, home grown,
born from birth ****ing idiot, does it?
--
If you really must fellate me,
Though the thought appalls;
Old October 23rd 08, 08:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Tuno

Doesn't AOPA display graphically all TFR's on their website?

Yes, but again, I'm not interested in graphical versions. I want the
raw data that drives them.