cellphones???

Old February 22nd 05, 05:22 AM
houstondan

Default cellphones???

whats the deal with those 100$ gizmos that plug your cellphone into the
headset. does that work???

dan

Old February 22nd 05, 06:16 AM
Newps

They work great.

Old February 22nd 05, 06:25 AM
Dave S

I second that... on the ground, and if you can get signal... in the air
too... Make a call right before center hands you over to approach to let
yer ride know you are 20 mins out.

OOOPS.. dont tell the FCC...

Dave

Newps wrote:
They work great.

Old February 22nd 05, 01:57 PM
Dan Luke

"Dave S" wrote:
I second that... on the ground, and if you can get signal... in the air
too... Make a call right before center hands you over to approach to let
yer ride know you are 20 mins out.

My CellSet works great, but I've never been able to use it in the air. My
Nextel phone always says "no service" when airborne. Does Nextel have some
built in software that cuts you off if you connect to too many towers at
once?
--
Dan
C-172RG at BFM

Old February 22nd 05, 02:41 PM
Dave S

I have Sprint PCS with automatic cellular roaming. I don't use the
Cellset regularly and the last time I did was on a XC into Dallas.. or
maybe Tyler... cant remember which. I seemed to recall not being able to
get a dependable signal until descending below 5k.

On the ground it worked fine.

Dave

Old February 22nd 05, 05:10 PM
Newps

I have a Cellset also and always get a useable signal. I use Verizon
but the phone will use any other CDMA signal when necessary.

Old February 22nd 05, 07:50 PM
John Galban

Dan Luke wrote:

My CellSet works great, but I've never been able to use it in the

air. My
Nextel phone always says "no service" when airborne. Does Nextel

have some
built in software that cuts you off if you connect to too many towers

at
once?

The old analog 800 Mhz phones (the ones the FCC prohibits in the air)
used to work just fine at cruising altitudes. The downside was that
you lit up every cell within your line of site and ****ed off the phone
company.

The newer digital services (operating on frequencies not prohibited
by the FCC for air use) don't seem to work once you get a few thousand
feet AGL. I was talking to a Sprint engineer about it and he told me
that the antenna patterns on the newer cell services are angled
downward in most places, which degrades the signal received in the
aircraft.

John Galban=====N4BQ (PA28-180)

Old February 23rd 05, 05:53 PM
Robert M. Gary

houstondan wrote:
whats the deal with those 100$ gizmos that plug your cellphone into

the
headset. does that work???

What $100 gizmo? My Lightspeed headset came with a cell phone cable.
-Robert

Old March 1st 05, 03:29 AM
Doug Carter

John Galban wrote:
The old analog 800 Mhz phones (the ones the FCC prohibits in the air)
used to work just fine at cruising altitudes. The downside was that
you lit up every cell within your line of site and ****ed off the phone
company.

....and the dozens of other cell phone users on the ground that had their
call drop because of you.

The newer digital services (operating on frequencies not prohibited
by the FCC for air use)

Urban myth. The table of allocation in Part 1 does not authorize the
frequencies allocated to PCS to be used for air to ground service,
period. These tables are controlling regardless of what your
interpretation of Part 22 may be.

don't seem to work once you get a few thousand
feet AGL. I was talking to a Sprint engineer about it and he told me
that the antenna patterns on the newer cell services are angled
downward in most places, which degrades the signal received in the
aircraft.

True; the down tilts are used to mitigate against inter-cell interference.
Old March 3rd 05, 03:07 PM
abripl

Others should not have their calls dropped no more than if a person is
calling from top of a hill or in a good position seeing different
towers. A cell phone "dialogs" with every tower in sight and ties up
only ONE channel on each. Which means you use more total channels than
necessary, possibly denying new call service (but not necessarily) to
others in bussy times. If all cell phones in use were doing the same
thing there would be very limited number of chanels open for new phone
calls.