Music is good

Old January 26th 04, 03:55 AM
Larry Fransson

On 2004-01-25 20:17:07 -0800, juno909
said:

Not too sure what the policy on this is..... reckon its frowned upon

Hardly. It's not uncommon for us to tune in news or sports or whatever
when we're headed somewhere.

--
Larry Fransson
Seattle, WA
Old January 26th 04, 04:17 AM
juno909

Default Music is good

I think close to CTA and urban centres is a no-no. But ive flown on 6
hour navs and and have often switched the ADF freq. over to local
stations and picked up a garbled broadcast (albeit redneck aussie
country musak )
Not too sure what the policy on this is..... reckon its frowned upon
tho

--
juno909
- A website for Australian Pilots regardless of when, why, or what they fly -

Old January 26th 04, 01:17 PM
nooneimportant

My home field has a 50,000 watt clear channel antenna about a mile
away. Back when I was flying rented with ADF, I *always* knew where
home was, even from 500 miles away. You just have to like
conservative talk radio.

You based out of KGKY by chance? Thats where I do my training, and the WBAP
820 transmitter isn't far at all from field. Ive been able to pick it up ON
THE GROUND! as far away as Rapid City, SD.. Just a tad over 1000 miles by
car...

Old January 26th 04, 03:56 PM
EDR

In article Gr8Rb.154484$xy6.741330@attbi_s02, nooneimportant
wrote:

You based out of KGKY by chance? Thats where I do my training, and the WBAP
820 transmitter isn't far at all from field. Ive been able to pick it up ON
THE GROUND! as far away as Rapid City, SD.. Just a tad over 1000 miles by
car...

Where is WBAP?

Our local npr station in Columbus OH is WOSU-AM 820.
They have to switch to low power at night, and depending on which way
the antenna is pointing, I can pick up one of two other stations
intermoding.
One is in Texas and the other is in Minnesota, I think.
Old January 26th 04, 05:32 PM
Maule Driver

I listen to music frequently here in the US. The newer audio panels enable
music to be piped in and it automatically mutes for radio transmissions.
Works real well. I use an IPOD as a music source. A portable CD player or
anyother MP3 player works great.

None of this will ply redneck aussie country though...

Old January 26th 04, 11:52 PM
nooneimportant

WBAP is based out of the Dallas Fort Worth area... If you pull up the 34 DME
approach for KGKY its pretty darn near the brows intersection.... and WBAP
has absolutely nothing to do with npr... During the daytime carries
conservative talk radio and news, night tends to be
news/sports/country/whatever, and they crank their power up at night, not
sure what wattage is used during the day...

Old January 27th 04, 01:43 AM
Jonathan

They have to switch to low power at night, and depending on which way
the antenna is pointing,

I always wondered about that. Why do they go to low power at night?
I have a local am station that I listen to on way home from work. Great
reception in summer (when i'm driving home in daylight). But bad this time
of year (drive home in dark)

Old January 27th 04, 02:59 AM
Bill Denton

There are only a limited number of AM frequencies available in the US, and
these frequencies are shared across the US. For example, a station in
Monroe, LA could be on the same frequency with a station in Las Vegas, NV.
This will work because the power of the stations is limited and they are
geographically separated.

But at night, an AM signal goes farther than it does in the daytime. It has
to do with skywaves vs. groundwaves, but I have long since forgotten that
stuff. So trust me, the signal goes farther at night than it does during the
daytime.

So, the stations must reduce power at night to avoid interference with other
stations on the same frequency. There used to be a type of station known as
a Class IV that was intended to basically serve a single community. They all
operated with 1,000 watts daytime and 250 watts at night. I think I worked
at three different stations that were on 1290.

It's basically the same situation with directional antennas; they are used
to avoid interference with other stations. But they also frequently had a
slightly different purpose; you could use a directional antenna to allow you
to put a station in a geographical location where it would not otherwise be
permitted.

If you're trying to find something to listen to on the ADF, you need to find
50,000 watt stations. Unfortunately, most of them are now talk stations. You
can probably google "50,000 watt radio stations" and find a list of them.

BTW: A lot of pilots used broadcast AM stations as an important part of
their navigation...

Old January 27th 04, 04:13 PM
Newps

Bill Denton wrote:

There are only a limited number of AM frequencies available in the US, and
these frequencies are shared across the US.

And Canada and Mexico too.

For example, a station in
Monroe, LA could be on the same frequency with a station in Las Vegas, NV.
This will work because the power of the stations is limited and they are
geographically separated.

But at night, an AM signal goes farther than it does in the daytime. It has
to do with skywaves vs. groundwaves, but I have long since forgotten that
stuff. So trust me, the signal goes farther at night than it does during the
daytime.

So, the stations must reduce power at night to avoid interference with other
stations on the same frequency.

Yes and one of those stations will have the "priority" at night.
Commonly referred to as clear channels. For example WCCO 830 in the
Twin Cities is a clear channel. They broadcast at 50,000 watts 24/7.
All other stations that broadcast on 830 must turn their power way down
at night because WCCO essentially owns the freq at night.

Old January 28th 04, 06:03 AM
StellaStar

If you're trying to find something to listen to on the ADF, you need to find
50,000 watt stations.

An excellent explanation of the broadcast band, though you can use any AM
station if you're close enough to it. I have a friend who calls the little
dial the NPR. (How nice to have a local affiliate on AM!)

And you'll see a startling thing on some sectionals, a number with BS beside
it...it's your guide to a local commercial Broadcast Station, and the
frequency.