Towing with VW Bora diesel?

Old August 25th 03, 08:10 PM
Buck Wild

You have to keep in mind that a VW Bora sold today in Europe has a
much more advanced enging/fuel management system than the ones sold in
the good old US of A. You can only get the 90HP (67kW) engine here,
while the engines sold in Europe have either 74kW (100HP) or 96kW
(128HP) in the TDI-PD version... (PD=Pumpe-Düse or one injector pump
unit per cylinder)
Ulrich Neumann
Diesel Head

Yes, but they won't ship them here, as they are incompatible with
sulpher ppm above 50, and US is upwards of 500ppm.
I am very pleased with the power increase with the Upsolute software.
My automatic wagon will now spin it's wheels & pulls hard to redline @
130mph (Death Valley) Power is now approx 115hp and over 200LbFt,
milage unchanged, low to mid 40's
More info here...
www.tdiclub.com/
www.upsolute.com/
Dan
Old August 25th 03, 09:34 PM
JohnH

Janusz Kesik wrote:
A bit offtopic then... If I was living in the US, is it possible to order a new e.g. VW Golf, but in the European version?

Regards,

JK

Indeed - US cars usually have a much softer suspension. Do you know if
the US models of European cars also have a different suspension than
their European brothers?

I don't understand why they would produce two different versions....off
the Topic even further...Germany limits the BMW K1200 motorcycle to
100hp, but the US model is unrestricted at 129hp, but this is done
without changing major parts..But the VW in Europe to be so radically
different makes no economic sense to me.

john

Old August 25th 03, 11:33 PM
Doug Hoffman

"Janusz Kesik" wrote in message ...
A bit offtopic then... If I was living in the US, is it possible to
order a new e.g. VW Golf, but in the European version?

Anything is possible. But it would be very expensive. There would be
mandatory safety and possibly emissions modifications that would have
to be made among other things. You would need acceptable passive
restraints, for example, such as air bags or motorized seat belts
(just to name a couple of items). Even if your "import" had such
features you would need proof that they met US standards. An
engineeriing analysis might suffice, but it wouuld cost you for that.
You may need modifications to the emissions system and likely even
have to run an actual emissions test or two or three... They ain't
cheap. But there are small firms that do this knd of work and will
gladly take your money to make your "import" legal for use in the US
of A.

Sorry to deliver depressing news. The automakers even have to build
two different kinds of emissions systems, in many cases, right here in
the US depending which state the vehicle is going to (California and
some north east states get a unique emissions package, in many cases).

-Doug
Old August 26th 03, 05:13 AM
Tom Seim

European turbo diesels are very performant compared to their size (for tax
and petrol price reasons)

You should NEVER use a turbo for towing. Turbos are only ment for
intermittent operation - towing puts them into near continuous
operation, leading to premature failure.

Of course there will be those that disregard this claiming they have
never had a problem (you never do until you do).
Old August 26th 03, 06:01 AM
JohnH

Doug Hoffman wrote:
"Janusz Kesik" wrote in message ...

A bit offtopic then... If I was living in the US, is it possible to
order a new e.g. VW Golf, but in the European version?

snip...
Sorry to deliver depressing news. The automakers even have to build
two different kinds of emissions systems, in many cases, right here in
the US depending which state the vehicle is going to (California and
some north east states get a unique emissions package, in many cases).

-Doug

Hmmm, not depressing to me, I only drive trucks, not SUV's, 4x4 4 door
Trucks....;

john

Old August 26th 03, 10:08 AM
Simon Waddell

Nonsense - most of the trucks in the World are turbo diesels. I towed for
years with a Saab turbo (petrol) and never had a problem. Diesel turbos are
recommended for towing in Europe.

om...

Old August 26th 03, 01:14 PM
root

Tom Seim wrote:

European turbo diesels are very performant compared to their size (for tax
and petrol price reasons)

You should NEVER use a turbo for towing. Turbos are only ment for
intermittent operation - towing puts them into near continuous
operation, leading to premature failure.

Of course there will be those that disregard this claiming they have
never had a problem (you never do until you do).

This doesn't match my experience, nor what I heard about that. I owned 10-15
years ago a Renault R11 with a turbo (petrol), the turbo died after about
75000 km, the nest one survived a little longer (~ 100000 km) then I replaced
the car rather than the turbo. The man who replaced the first turbo said I
was lucky as they rather fail after 50000 km. I used the car mostly at maximum
speed since most of my usage was on highways and almost never in towns. Somebody
explained to me that what kills turbos is stopping and starting the car rather
than using it. This, according to this person, is due to the way they are
lubricated. No oil can stand the temperature found in a working turbo, so
the only way to keep them lubricated is to make a constant flow of oil trough
them which is cooled outside so the temperature never reach the temperature
of the turbo. But when you stop it the temperature is still high and there is
no more flow, so the remaining oil is cooked and produces a solid residue. This
residue is broken at the next start, causing friction and wear at this time.
I don't kown if this is a valid explanation, but it is consistent with the
life time of my both turbos, as well as the way they died, i.e. wear of the
bearings.
Old August 26th 03, 01:24 PM
Bert Willing

I tow with Saab turbos ever since, and when I'm driving up the Nufenen pass
(8000ft) with the Calif (2400lbs) I use every single hp and I'm pretty often
at 5000rpm.

No problems whatsoever. Turbos have come along quite some way since their
introduction. My last Saab had still the first turbo and was doing fine
after 350'000km when I decided that a car with CD player and ABS would be
nice.

For Andreas - the BMW 5 and 3 I've been driving in the US felt pretty much
the same as in Europe.

--
Bert Willing

ASW20 "TW"

om...

Old August 26th 03, 02:00 PM
Bruce Greeff

Two turbo vehicles later (one petrol one diesel) I must differ.

The turbo diesel vehicles are designed for long hard use and it is not
uncommon for them to last longer than you would want (My brother's SAAB
9-5 was replaced in mint condition at 260,000km).

If turbochargers were unsuitable for hard continuous use surely the
heavy truck fleet and construction vehicles would use a different
technology.

Where I live we have had some problems with turbocharger related failures.

in the late 1990s we had a spate of Isuzu 2.8L turbo diesels with blown
piston crowns, generally caused by aftermarket kits to increase the
maximum boost pressure - you get what you pay for. Make it possible to
overstress your engine, then drive at overboost for extended periods and
something will break. Factory standard engines regularly get 500,000km
making them very popular with the farmers.

BMW 320Ds with failed turbines - the upgraded engine introduced in 2001
had an engine management map that allowed the turbine inlet temperature
to go too high in our hot and high environment.(30+ centigrade @ 5000"
MSL) Coupled to our long open roads and their drivers habit of driving
for hours at full throttle and the little turbine wheels melted. One
electronic change and a cooling system upgrade and the failures stopped.
All handled under warranty.

Second hand European and Japanese imports with corroded injectors and
fuel pumps - this was a problem before 2002 when low sulphur fuel became
available. The jungle juice we had before had far too much sulphur and
some private imports died. The turbo models died quicker because of
higher temperatires I suspect. Again - ignore the manufacturers
specifications and problems are likely - if the manufacturer does not
offer the model locally there might be a reason.

For what it is worth my Isuzu 2.8l Turbo diesel was the best tow vehicle
I have ever owned. Pity it was stolen.