Marine antenna

Old May 16th 06, 02:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Default Marine antenna

B A R R Y writes:

Can we cut a wire VHF-Air antenna that we already own to work with a
marine band (higher than VHF-Air) handheld?

Yes, but given its proximity to the ground, it's impossible to really
tune it correctly. (Hang the aircraft 8 ft up from a crane while
looking at the VSWR? No wait! Just flip the bird on its back and....)
You'll end up taking a best-guess & living with it...

Can we have a local avionics tech simply add a BNC to the right side
of the panel to use with the handheld and a BNC-BNC patch cord?

Legalities aside, this is trivial. I'll let others fight over
the paper issues.

You also will want some way to power it, and others have mentioned
the headset/noise issues.
--
A host is a host from coast to
Old May 17th 06, 12:55 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

"David Lesher" wrote in message
B A R R Y writes:

Can we cut a wire VHF-Air antenna that we already own to work with a
marine band (higher than VHF-Air) handheld?

Yes, but given its proximity to the ground, it's impossible to really
tune it correctly. (Hang the aircraft 8 ft up from a crane while
looking at the VSWR? No wait! Just flip the bird on its back and....)
You'll end up taking a best-guess & living with it...

Just start out long (20"), put the Thruline in there, go up and TX. Note the
direct and reflected power. Land, take out 1/2" and repeat, noting the
reflected each time. From this data you can determine the optimal ant.
length.

--
Hello, my name is Mike, and I am an airplane addict...

Old May 17th 06, 04:08 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Just look at the specs for marine antennaes and use those, or go to a
marine store and measure one. No need to reinvent the wheel....

Old May 19th 06, 04:26 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

"Doug" wrote in message
ups.com...
Just look at the specs for marine antennaes and use those, or go to a
marine store and measure one. No need to reinvent the wheel....

Well, that's true, but the VSWR should be checked, with a meter while
airborne. Failure to do this could result in a damaged radio.

Old May 19th 06, 04:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Lots of seaplanes are buying handheld marine radios and just plugging
into their aviation antennaes without any problems. The marine hailing
frequency (I forget which channel that is), is monitored by allmost all
boats up and down the inland passage from Washington to Alaska and if
you have trouble this is a good frequency to be on. It is also
monitored by the coast guard. The aviation antennae gives better
results than the rubber ducky handheld in most planes, I can tell you
that. The newer audio panels have music input jacks that you can plug
the marine radio into and listen (but not talk) on your aviation
headset. Nice setup at low cost.

From what I have heard the FCC isn't going to permit an aviation/marine

handheld to be manufactured. Just not in the cards from what I have
heard as Oshkosh.

Of course a built in marine radio into the panel of a seaplane is a
nice feature too. I don't know if there is a marine antennae that is
specifically made for installation on an airplane or not. Might be
interesteing to google around for one.

Old May 19th 06, 07:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Doug wrote:

From what I have heard the FCC isn't going to permit an aviation/marine

handheld to be manufactured. Just not in the cards from what I have
heard as Oshkosh.

Can't imagine why not. I have the Vertex VXA-700 which is a regular
aviation handheld that also includes the 2 meter ham band, which is FM.
It also receives the FM broadcast band and the business radio band.
Old May 19th 06, 08:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Well, that was what I was told at Oshkosh where EVERYONE was asking for
it. But it's really just a rumor. However, you don't see any of them.
Of course the FCC could change their mind.

Old May 19th 06, 08:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Doug wrote:
Well, that was what I was told at Oshkosh where EVERYONE was asking for
it. But it's really just a rumor. However, you don't see any of them.
Of course the FCC could change their mind.

I would think it more likely the market to too limited for a company
to justify spending the money it would take to get something like
that through the FCC certification process.

A read through the FCC aviation and marine regs would confirm or deny
if there is any regulatory restriction to such a dual radio.

--
Jim Pennino

Remove .spam.sux to reply.
Old May 20th 06, 12:06 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Those two sections are my bible. I can guarantee you that there is no such
prohibition. HOWEVER, the misinterpretation of the part that prohibits
SIMULTANEOUS AM and FM modulation may be causing the confusion. So long as
it is AM on the aircraft band and FM on the marine band, there is no
prohibition.

Jim

Old May 20th 06, 12:30 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Doug wrote:
Well, that was what I was told at Oshkosh where EVERYONE was asking for
it. But it's really just a rumor. However, you don't see any of them.
Of course the FCC could change their mind.

The FCC doesn't have anything to say about it.

Marine antenna Don Tuite Owning 1 May 15th 06 12:20 PM
Marine antenna mikem Owning 3 May 15th 06 12:19 PM
CRS: V-22 Osprey Tilt-Rotor Aircraft Mike Naval Aviation 0 October 14th 05 08:14 PM
Swift Boat Veterans For Truth: Are They Going To Sink John Kerry? BUFDRVR Military Aviation 151 September 12th 04 09:59 PM
Lot of noise being made about Purple Hearts Jack Military Aviation 154 September 8th 04 07:24 PM