FAA ADS-B Out NPRM needs to be drastically changed

Old October 8th 07, 07:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Ron Lee[_2_]

Default FAA ADS-B Out NPRM needs to be drastically changed

If you thought that the user fee issue was important, this proposal is
far more onerous to the GA community.

You can access the 100 page NPRM from this AOPA website:

http://www.avweb.com/avwebflash/news..._196268-1.html

This NPRM to mandate ADS-B Out avionics on aircraft by 2020 as best I
can determine from available information will be costly (as high as
~$18,000 per aircraft) just to transmit position info.

This does NOT get you free weather, free traffic info or other data
transmitted by the ADS system.

It will require ADS-B Out equipage to fly above 10,000 feet MSL, into
Class C airspace, by all aircraft at airports within current Class B
Mode C rings (30 NM), etc.

My analysis shows ZERO to INSIGNIFICANT benefit to most GA users but
potentially onerously high costs. My current draft response to this
NPRM is at the link below. It is a Word document and is still very
draft. I will be updating it as I more fully develop it.

http://tinyurl.com/2wem8j

This NPRM needs massive and overwhelming GA pilot community input to
fight it. Details are in the NPRM and we must also ensure that AOPA,
EAA , etc are on board.

Previous AOPA statements that 75% of GA pilots are in favor of ADS-B
if they get free weather fail to prperly cover the costs to the pilot
for avionics. Once you read the NPRM and my review, an objectively
worded poll would probably show less than 5% of GA pilots willing to
equip with all the ADS-B avionics needed to get free weather.

More to follow soon.

Ron Lee

Old October 8th 07, 09:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Lee McGee

If ADS-B technology costs $18,000 today, that will be $1800 or even $180 in
2020.

I work in the high tech computer industry. 5 terabytes of disk storage cost
nearly $1,000,000 in the year 2000. Today, in summer 2007, we just bought 7
terabytes for $11,000. This is not a typo. The technology is similar.

Lee McGee (yet another Lee)

Old October 8th 07, 10:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Gig 601XL Builder

Lee McGee wrote:
If ADS-B technology costs $18,000 today, that will be $1800 or even
$180 in 2020.

I work in the high tech computer industry. 5 terabytes of disk
storage cost nearly $1,000,000 in the year 2000. Today, in summer
2007, we just bought 7 terabytes for $11,000. This is not a typo. The
technology is similar.
Lee McGee (yet another Lee)

Very unfortunately the prices for certified aviation electronics hasn't done
the same and there is no reason to think it will in the future.

Old October 8th 07, 10:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bob Noel

In article ,
"Lee McGee" wrote:

If ADS-B technology costs $18,000 today, that will be $1800 or even $180 in
2020.

How much did a KX-155 cost in 1987?

How much did it cost in 2006?

Did the installation cost for insert avionics box go up or down in the past
20 years?

I work in the high tech computer industry. 5 terabytes of disk storage cost
nearly $1,000,000 in the year 2000. Today, in summer 2007, we just bought 7
terabytes for $11,000. This is not a typo. The technology is similar.

high tech computer industry is not the same animal as avionics.

--
Bob Noel
(goodness, please trim replies!!!)

Old October 8th 07, 11:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Morgans[_2_]

"Lee McGee" wrote

I work in the high tech computer industry. 5 terabytes of disk storage
cost nearly $1,000,000 in the year 2000. Today, in summer 2007, we just
bought 7 terabytes for $11,000. This is not a typo. The technology is
similar.

I just saw a terabyte external drive for under 300 bucks. Wow!
--
Jim in NC

Old October 8th 07, 11:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Stewart

Gig 601XL Builder wrote:
Lee McGee wrote:
If ADS-B technology costs $18,000 today, that will be $1800 or even
$180 in 2020.

I work in the high tech computer industry. 5 terabytes of disk
storage cost nearly $1,000,000 in the year 2000. Today, in summer
2007, we just bought 7 terabytes for $11,000. This is not a typo. The
technology is similar.
Lee McGee (yet another Lee)

Very unfortunately the prices for certified aviation electronics hasn't done
the same and there is no reason to think it will in the future.

From what I can tell, ADS-B requires a
mode-s transponder, a high performance GPS,
a 1030 Mhz receiver which may or may not
be part of the transponder, a fast computer
and a display.

There's no way to predict what that would
cost in 2020 except that it will be more
than $180.

Old October 8th 07, 11:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Lee McGee wrote:
If ADS-B technology costs $18,000 today, that will be $1800 or even $180 in
2020.

I work in the high tech computer industry. 5 terabytes of disk storage cost
nearly $1,000,000 in the year 2000. Today, in summer 2007, we just bought 7
terabytes for $11,000. This is not a typo. The technology is similar.

Lee McGee (yet another Lee)

The avionics market place has neither the size nor the freedom of the
consumer market place.

The price of cutting edge avionics will come down over time, but not
hardly at the same rate as consumer stuff.

--
Jim Pennino

Remove .spam.sux to reply.
Old October 9th 07, 12:04 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Ron Lee[_2_]

Very unfortunately the prices for certified aviation electronics hasn't done
the same and there is no reason to think it will in the future.

From what I can tell, ADS-B requires a
mode-s transponder, a high performance GPS,
a 1030 Mhz receiver which may or may not
be part of the transponder, a fast computer
and a display.

There's no way to predict what that would
cost in 2020 except that it will be more
than $180.

I believe that UAT is 978 MHz but the frequency is trivial.

Ron Lee
Old October 9th 07, 12:09 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Morgans[_2_]

"Jim Stewart" wrote

From what I can tell, ADS-B requires a
mode-s transponder, a high performance GPS,
a 1030 Mhz receiver which may or may not
be part of the transponder, a fast computer
and a display.

There's no way to predict what that would
cost in 2020 except that it will be more
than $180.

The word "aviation" in the title of the device automatically multiplies the
price by 100!

I thought everyone knew that principle of pricing aviation equipment, of any
kind.
--
Jim in NC

Old October 9th 07, 01:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Larry Dighera

On Mon, 08 Oct 2007 18:56:04 GMT, (Ron Lee)
wrote in :

Previous AOPA statements that 75% of GA pilots are in favor of ADS-B
if they get free weather fail to prperly cover the costs to the pilot
for avionics. Once you read the NPRM and my review, an objectively
worded poll would probably show less than 5% of GA pilots willing to
equip with all the ADS-B avionics needed to get free weather.

AOPA FINDS ADS-B PROPOSAL NEEDS WORK
(
http://www.avweb.com/eletter/archive...ll.html#196330)
AOPA has taken a first look at the FAA's complex new ADS-B
proposal
(http://www.aopa.org/advocacy/article...1003ads-b.html)

(http://www.avweb.com/avwebflash/news...196268-1.html),
and found plenty of technical and cost issues that will affect
general aviation pilots. Randy Kenagy, AOPA senior director of
strategic planning, said an initial review of the 100-page Notice
of Proposed Rulemaking showed that "much more work needs to be
done before the FAA publishes its final rule." The proposal would
require all aircraft operators to install ADS-B equipment by 2020
if they want to fly in controlled airspace. The new avionics would
provide cockpit weather and traffic information to pilots,
replacing services such as flight following or en route vectoring.
AOPA President Phil Boyer tied the FAA proposal to the current
fight over user fees. "If they [the FAA] want GA pilots to spend
thousands of dollars on new avionics, we need to make sure that
the expenditures are considered as we assess what GA should pay in
fuel taxes in the future FAA budget," he said.

It would appear that AOPA is revising it's stance on the mandatory
ADS-B issue, but given the fact that AOPA feels it would only cost
each aircraft owner "thousands of dollars," not tens of thousands of
dollars, it is doubtful they yet fully appreciate the ramifications of
the issue. While mandatory ADS-B equipment might be a step forward
for GA pilot operations, it would seem to me, that it is FAA (and
avionics manufacturers) who stand to receive the most benefit from
this proposal.

And if mandatory ADS-B installation were to result in the
decommissioning of ATC radar installations, that would be a step
backward, because there would be no backup system in the event of an
outage in ADS-B operation. But more importantly, the validity of
aircraft positional information, upon which ATC currently relies,
would switch from an empirical to reported. That coupled with the
change from terrestrial based communications to satellite based
communications would seem to provide reduced system integrity, IMO.

nprm for private aviation [email protected] Piloting 4 September 11th 07 07:14 PM
FAA NPRM [author unknown] Casey Wilson Piloting 1 January 26th 07 06:11 PM
DC ADIZ NPRM Blueskies Piloting 3 August 17th 05 04:22 PM
DC ADIZ NPRM Blueskies Home Built 0 August 15th 05 11:41 PM
NPRM proposing to update the AC 43.13 2A - [email protected] Home Built 0 January 3rd 05 03:56 PM