More on email scams

Old August 1st 09, 04:07 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Hellman

Default More on email scams

To add to the two recent posts, here's an example of another one I
just received, targeting CFIG's (which I am not). This one has some
obvious issues that are usually hidden. Note the .ru in the return
address vs. the UK in the signature line. Also the TO field is not my
email address.

And then there's the "odd wording" to use the term of an earlier post.
I've also received almost 10 of these in response to selling my
glider. Some are probably after bank account numbers so they can send
you the funds (but really for ID theft). Others are likely trying to
send phony cashier's checks, which can take weeks to detect after
being deposited, with an extra amount included for you to pay their
shipping agent (with your good check), or similar.

This is a real epidemic.

Martin

From: george mackenzie
Date: July 31, 2009 3:50:18 PM PDT
Subject: Glide flight training..

I want to secure your professional service in giving my beloved Kids,
Hillary and Maureen some glide flight training. They are 21 and 18
years old respectively.

They are billed for their annual two months summer vacation trip with
my wife starting from the 3rd week in August, 2009. So they will need
your assistance during their stay for training lesson.

Having sought to contract your service as regard the glide flight
training exercise, I Want to get the schedule pre-arranged prior to
their arrival. Also, do let me know if your service will be available
within the specified period? I implore you to make available, a brake
down of your training schedule and your payment terms.

Do kindly signify your availability and readiness to take on this
training offer by replying to my private email:

Looking forward to reading from you in earnest.
Regards
George Mckenzie
Old August 1st 09, 10:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Vorsanger1

Gee Martin,

You passed on the golden opportunity to meet Hillary ( 21 ) and
Maureen ( 18 ) ! Who knows, you could have given ( and received ) some
very personal instruction even if you are not a CFIG. :-))
Incidentally, " ru " in the original address is Russia, not a country
known currently for solid ethics in business.

Cheers, Charles.
Old August 2nd 09, 04:15 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Steve Leonard[_2_]

At 03:07 01 August 2009, Hellman wrote:

I want to secure your professional service in giving my beloved Kids,

Hillary and Maureen some glide flight training. They are 21 and 18 years
old respectively.

Looking forward to reading from you in earnest.
Regards
George Mckenzie

Ask him to send pictures of his daughters. :-) The line from the movie
"The Blues Brothers" comes to mind. "How much for the women? We want
to buy your women."

Sorry. Couldn't help myself.

Steve
Old August 5th 09, 05:48 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
bod43

On 2 Aug, 04:15, Steve Leonard wrote:
At 03:07 01 August 2009, Hellman wrote:Subject: Glide flight training..

I want to secure your professional service in giving my beloved Kids,

Hillary and Maureen some glide flight training. They are 21 and 18 years
old respectively.

Looking forward to reading from you in earnest.
Regards
George Mckenzie

Ask him to send pictures of his daughters. *:-) *The line from the movie
"The Blues Brothers" comes to mind. *"How much for the women? *We want
to buy your women."

Sorry. *Couldn't help myself.

Steve

I use a hotmail account for registering to random web
sites that ask for registration (including google groups
for this post). It is innundated with fake messages that
request that I update my bank details, about one
a day. Most get filtered and are in a junk folder. It's
a whole industry and some of the mails have very
professional looking graphics. I have opened few,
since although the active elements of any html
messages are supposed to be disabled pending
user intervention, one never knows...

The one today wants me to go to a web page in a .do
domain (dominican republic) to update my bank
account relating to a UK based bank with which
I have no account.

It's not a mail account that I use for anything serious.

I was very nearly taken in by one message purporting
to be from microsoft demanding that I re-register
or the mail account would be terminated. I read and
re-read the message and then realised that there was
no way that MS would be asking me to put my
password in an email. I was shocked that I was so
close to responding since I work in a field related to
IT security. Obviously losing a junk hotmail account
to a scammer would not be the end of the world

Scams? Nyal Williams Soaring 4 June 16th 07 09:33 PM
Email Forum [email protected] Home Built 0 July 16th 06 09:40 PM
Beat the "EASY-MONEY" online scams RastafarianWarrior Home Built 2 May 21st 05 10:59 PM
email for JJ Sinclair f.blair Soaring 0 July 20th 04 06:06 AM
My email to CBS Roger Long Piloting 8 January 19th 04 07:24 PM