USAF wimps out

Old November 20th 05, 12:59 AM posted to rec.aviation.military.naval

Default USAF wimps out

Title due to the NG to which it was posted. g

MW

From the AP:

Air Force Commander Cancels Fla. Air Show

TAMPA, Fla. (AP) - The commander of MacDill Air Force Base canceled
next spring's air show, citing security concerns.

Air Force Col. Maggie Woodward said in a statement Friday that no
specific threat prompted the move. She said it would simply require too
much energy and resources to properly protect the nearly 6,000-acre
facility that houses the 6th Air Mobility Wing.

"As the leadership of the base weighed the pros and cons of having the
airshow, our security situation and the incredible tempo our folks have
been maintaining for over a year led us to decide that it was too much
to ask of the troops to hold an airshow in 2006,'' Woodward said.

Air Fest, alternately headlined by the Air Force's Thunderbirds and the
Navy's Blue Angels, drew 350,000 people last year and half a million in
2004.

Old November 20th 05, 01:32 AM posted to rec.aviation.military.naval

Seems to me that commanders who put the mission and welfare of the troops
above entertaining the public deserve our respect. They certainly have
mine.

Jack G.

Old November 20th 05, 02:26 AM posted to rec.aviation.military.naval

On Sun, 20 Nov 2005 01:32:21 GMT, "Jack G"
wrote:

Seems to me that commanders who put the mission and welfare of the troops
above entertaining the public deserve our respect. They certainly have
mine.

It far more than "entertaining the public." It's also educating,
involving, and demonstrating what they are paying for.

If there is a specific threat then the decision was spot on. If it
was, "damn, this is just too hard" then shame on her.

Bill Kambic

Mil Acft heard on HF freqs, Monday 20 Sep 2004 AllanStern Military Aviation 0 September 21st 04 08:28 PM
USAF Downloads Club USAF Simulators 0 June 1st 04 11:20 PM
CIA Vietnam war controlled USAF aircraft missions Aerophotos Military Aviation 31 March 3rd 04 10:56 PM
A-4 / A-7 Question Tank Fixer Military Aviation 135 October 25th 03 03:59 AM
FS Books USAF, Navy, Marine pilots and planes Ken Insch Military Aviation 0 July 20th 03 02:36 AM