Renter's Insurance?

Old December 15th 07, 07:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Cubdriver

Default Renter's Insurance?

On Wed, 5 Dec 2007 14:50:19 -0800 (PST), "Robert M. Gary"
wrote:

So, are you saying that the FBO's insurance policy in these cases will
protect the pilot or pilot's estate from a $1 mil lawsuit brought against him
by the families of the children on that school bus who were killed when the
aircraft struck the bus? (for some reason this was always the example given
to me by my mentor instructor)

Yes.

Free advice is worth what you pay for it.

Talk to a lawyer before you bet your retirement fund on that answer!

Blue skies! -- Dan Ford

Claire Chennault and His American Volunteers, 1941-1942
new from HarperCollins www.FlyingTigersBook.com
Old December 15th 07, 08:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Cubdriver

On Wed, 05 Dec 2007 23:12:05 GMT, "JGalban via AviationKB.com"
u32749@uwe wrote:

It is rare, but it happens. A friend owns an FBO and his insurance company
has gone after renter pilots twice in the past 20 yrs. or so.

When my instructor was teaching me how to do a wheelie, I
overestimated the forward stick required to plant the wheels, which
spread enough to ding the prop.

The instructor's insurance company thought it should be responsible
only for the airport's deductible. It lost the argument and paid for a
new prop and the engine tear-down.

(BTW, neither of us noticed the dinged tips. The instructor took off
again, went around the pattern, and landed on the mains to demonstrate
the correct technique. Then he gave me back the controls to taxi up to
the gas pump and shut down. What a weird feeling to see those curved
tips!)

Old December 15th 07, 08:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Cubdriver

On Wed, 5 Dec 2007 17:40:34 -0500, "Peter R."
wrote:

I would bet a paycheck that those airplanes are fully covered by the aircraft
owner's and/or FBO's insurance should a renter accident occur.

Of course they are!

And the insurance company will come after you if a credit check shows
that you are good for it. Why leave $250,000 on the table?

Old December 16th 07, 09:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Roger (K8RI)

On Wed, 5 Dec 2007 10:53:41 -0600, Dallas
wrote:

A pilot buddy who works for a law firm has rattled my cage over renter's
insurance and liability.

Do you renters feel the need to pick up supplemental insurance? If so who
did you use and how much did it cost you?

Here's his comments:

You should talk to me about FBO insurance too. Unless your FBO is
different than every other FBO I've ever been into, their insurance
provides them (and/or the aircraft owner if it is leased to the FBO) with
hull coverage and liability insurance. In the event of damage to the
aircraft, of harm to a person (but maybe not you), the insurance will pay
to repair the aircraft and defend and pay and lawsuits that arise out of
the event. However, when all is said and done, to the extent that the
incident is your fault (most are), the insurance company will have the
right to sue you to recover all the amounts they paid to 'clean up your
mess'. If you are renting from an FBO, getting a renter's policy
(sometimes called a non-owned aircraft policy) is a good idea. I've never
figured out how the 'hull' portion of those polcies work - if you were
flying a $100K aircraft, you wouldn't want to have to maintain $100K of
hull coverage on top of the liability coverage.

Many, if not most FBOs do not carry insurance to cover the pilot and
has been mentioned if you screw up and they do pay they may come back
to you. I never rented without renter's insurance. Back in the early
90's I paid around $350 to $390 for "renter's insurance" on simple,
fixed gear aircraft (172, Cherokees) and figured it was well worth it.

Roger (K8RI)

Renter's Insurance? Mortimer Schnerd, RN Piloting 23 June 8th 05 07:19 AM
renter's insurance RM Piloting 21 April 29th 04 10:52 PM
Renter's Insurance - Questions & Advice Tino General Aviation 0 March 19th 04 08:44 PM
Student Rotorcraft Renter's Insurance Davdirect Rotorcraft 3 January 5th 04 11:02 PM
Best deal on renter's insurance? Evan Hunt Piloting 5 August 16th 03 10:02 PM