Poor Guy

Old July 16th 04, 01:51 PM
Bob Chilcoat

Default Poor Guy

At the airport yesterday was a Cherokee 140 in front of the shop with no
prop. Looked pretty nice until I got within 40 feet. What a POS! Someone
had "repainted" it after masking off areas very badly. There was actually
"underspray" in the strakes on the vertical stab where whoever did the paint
job didn't even bother to press the masking tape into the strakes. The new
wing walk goop looked like it had been applied with a driveway brush, and
the edges were bleeding into the white on the wings, along very wavy lines.
There was a cover over the canopy, but I gather from one of the shop guys
that there are gaping holes in the panel, and the interior is terrible.
There are also a lot of corrosion and other problems. Apparently the owner
just bought it somewhere for $22,500, thought it was a bargain, and was
hoping to fix it up for a reasonable price. Ain't gonna happen. The shop
guys don't even want to work on it, and the owner is compaining about the
cost estimates. Bad karma.

I don't have to like Bush and Cheney (Or Kerry, for that matter) to love
America

Old July 16th 04, 05:25 PM
G.R. Patterson III

Bob Chilcoat wrote:

The shop
guys don't even want to work on it, and the owner is compaining about the
cost estimates.

An example of the old mechanic's sign with the caption "No kidding! You *flew* it
here???"

George Patterson
In Idaho, tossing a rattlesnake into a crowded room is felony assault.
In Tennessee, it's evangelism.
Old July 16th 04, 09:34 PM
Bob Chilcoat

I suspect that if you asked him, he'd look blankly and say "What's a
pre-purchase inspection?"

Old July 16th 04, 09:54 PM
Mike Spera

Get the guy's name. If he would go $22.5k for a dog, I should be able to
get at least 40 grand out of him for mine.

Mike

Bob Chilcoat wrote:
[...]

The Worlds Uncensored News Source

Old July 16th 04, 10:16 PM
NW_PILOT

When I was in my hunt for an airplane I had a really great person give me
pointers on what to look for on initial check of the airplane before it went
in to pre purchase inspection. One airplane I looked at the owner said lets
go fly it I told him let me do a really through preflight, During my
inspection "very extended pre flight inspection" I noticed some bolts
missing that held the wing struts, Push rod tubes were leaking, prop was
nicked all over the place, there were many wrinkles on the belly of the
airplane by the landing gear.

I was about to pop the seats out to remove the inspection plates but a bad
feeling about the airplane in my subconscious "the little voice in my head"
said to walk now. I told the guy that I did not feel comfortable flying in
the weather that we were having today and my mechanic dose all test flight's
and I will call him this evening to let him know what my decision is, if I
want to bring it down for a pre purchase inspection. I called him about 3
hours on the way home said I found something else.

Glad I did not fly it my mechanic could not believe that I walked on it the
logs that were faxed looked good, my mechanic went and looked at it 2 days
later it looked like it had a few very hard landings and main gear boxes
were in need of serious attention.

The next day after he went to look at it we scored on this little bird and I
have been very happy with it.

http://www.warflying.net/airport/59s76Utaxi.jpg

I learned a lot from my buying experience but I had an excellent respected
mechanic guide me through the mess of airplanes, it seemed like we scraping
near the bottom of the barrel, looks like that poor guy hit the bottom of
the barrel neglected to bring a few pastries & coffee to a few shops at
lunch time and just sit and talk with A & P's and make business contacts in
the industry $10 in pastries & coffee can save you $10,000 or more later
down the road.

I had a chance to sit at a bar, I was drinking Pepsi and next to me was an
faa inspector from the local FSDO in front of us was well you know (We were
at Wildcats in Beaverton, Or) he started talking about airplanes I started
buying drinks. I learned a lot in that 2 hour conversation.

Bob, could you get us photos of that airplane.

Old July 17th 04, 06:45 PM
John Kunkel

[...]

Which reinforces the old adage "There's nothing more expensive than a cheap
airplane".