Flight Path App flight recorder

Old August 8th 12, 04:05 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
S. Vihlen

Default Flight Path App flight recorder

Can anyone give me guidance on the App "Flight Path" used on our smart phones. iPhone in this case.
I have a friend who would like to attempt his Silver Distance and we don't have a barograph. He's under the impression that Flight Path is a valid flight recorder for this badge attempt. It would be a straight out to landing. I've looked for a list of approved flight recorders and can't find the list. Can anyone help with advice?
Thanks
Old August 8th 12, 04:45 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Darryl Ramm

On Tuesday, August 7, 2012 8:05:48 PM UTC-7, Steve wrote:
Can anyone give me guidance on the App "Flight Path" used on our smart phones. iPhone in this case.

I have a friend who would like to attempt his Silver Distance and we don't have a barograph. He's under the impression that Flight Path is a valid flight recorder for this badge attempt. It would be a straight out to landing. I've looked for a list of approved flight recorders and can't find the list. Can anyone help with advice?

Thanks

Flight Path? you mean Glide Path? And no Glide Path has not approved as a position recorder by the IGC or any NAC I am aware of and (because how the GPS inside iOS devices work) I doubt it should ever be. Its allowed by the OLC for some flights (non-OLC-league, non-motorglider, etc.) as a flight recorder, as are other non-position recorder/non flight recorder devices.

Position recorder approval questions are really becoming NAC specific, so you need to tell us where you are flying to get specific answers.

For a silver badge free distance flight (with no declared start/finish/turnpoints) You do not need a flight recorder at all, just a barograph. But then by finish by landing you have less luxury to fanangle your finish altitude (it will be ground altitude) and have to be extra careful with the release height and distance flown to meet the SC3 1% rule. For more complex (declared tasks) flights which you can also use for the silver distance you need an approved IGC flight recorder or position recorder (and barograph).

My advice is to buy or borrow a full IGC flight recorder and avoid all the ****ing around with 1950s technology barographs, and have you also then have the flexibility to declare more complex tasks if needed.

You folks need to read and understand the sporting code, and ideally find an OO who really knows his/her stuff.

Darryl
Old August 10th 12, 11:45 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
kammeyer

On Wednesday, August 8, 2012 5:05:48 AM UTC+2, Steve wrote:
Can anyone give me guidance on the App "Flight Path" used on our smart phones. iPhone in this case.

I have a friend who would like to attempt his Silver Distance and we don't have a barograph. He's under the impression that Flight Path is a valid flight recorder for this badge attempt. It would be a straight out to landing. I've looked for a list of approved flight recorders and can't find the list. Can anyone help with advice?

Thanks

Hi Steve,

GlidePath is not currently approved as a Position Recorder, but I am optimistic that it will be sometime in the future in the U.S. It is ultimately the SSA's call though. In other countries, it's up to the country's soaring body (NAC)

-Dave
Old August 10th 12, 05:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ernst

Do not buy GlidePath, it is not reliable - period.

Ernst

New flight recorder - flyWithCE Flight Recorder uros Soaring 12 May 5th 09 08:31 PM
Map of Airbus A320 flight path Bertie the Bunyip[_28_] Piloting 1 January 19th 09 02:29 AM
ADDS Flight Path Tool Dallas Piloting 2 December 12th 07 03:52 AM
does anyone know why AIR1 shows such a crazy flight path? Ted Instrument Flight Rules 6 August 31st 06 04:29 AM
FS2004COF: Flying Lessons: Visual Flight Path Ohm Simulators 1 January 5th 05 07:35 AM