A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Flight Path App flight recorder

Old August 8th 12, 04:05 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
S. Vihlen
external usenet poster

Default Flight Path App flight recorder

Can anyone give me guidance on the App "Flight Path" used on our smart phones. iPhone in this case.
I have a friend who would like to attempt his Silver Distance and we don't have a barograph. He's under the impression that Flight Path is a valid flight recorder for this badge attempt. It would be a straight out to landing. I've looked for a list of approved flight recorders and can't find the list. Can anyone help with advice?
Thanks
Old August 8th 12, 04:45 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Darryl Ramm
external usenet poster

On Tuesday, August 7, 2012 8:05:48 PM UTC-7, Steve wrote:
Can anyone give me guidance on the App "Flight Path" used on our smart phones. iPhone in this case.

I have a friend who would like to attempt his Silver Distance and we don't have a barograph. He's under the impression that Flight Path is a valid flight recorder for this badge attempt. It would be a straight out to landing. I've looked for a list of approved flight recorders and can't find the list. Can anyone help with advice?

Thanks

Flight Path? you mean Glide Path? And no Glide Path has not approved as a position recorder by the IGC or any NAC I am aware of and (because how the GPS inside iOS devices work) I doubt it should ever be. Its allowed by the OLC for some flights (non-OLC-league, non-motorglider, etc.) as a flight recorder, as are other non-position recorder/non flight recorder devices.

Position recorder approval questions are really becoming NAC specific, so you need to tell us where you are flying to get specific answers.

For a silver badge free distance flight (with no declared start/finish/turnpoints) You do not need a flight recorder at all, just a barograph. But then by finish by landing you have less luxury to fanangle your finish altitude (it will be ground altitude) and have to be extra careful with the release height and distance flown to meet the SC3 1% rule. For more complex (declared tasks) flights which you can also use for the silver distance you need an approved IGC flight recorder or position recorder (and barograph).

My advice is to buy or borrow a full IGC flight recorder and avoid all the ****ing around with 1950s technology barographs, and have you also then have the flexibility to declare more complex tasks if needed.

You folks need to read and understand the sporting code, and ideally find an OO who really knows his/her stuff.

Darryl
Old August 10th 12, 11:45 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
kammeyer
external usenet poster

On Wednesday, August 8, 2012 5:05:48 AM UTC+2, Steve wrote:

Thanks

Hi Steve,

GlidePath is not currently approved as a Position Recorder, but I am optimistic that it will be sometime in the future in the U.S. It is ultimately the SSA's call though. In other countries, it's up to the country's soaring body (NAC)

-Dave
Old August 10th 12, 05:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ernst
external usenet poster

Do not buy GlidePath, it is not reliable - period.

Ernst