Interior paint

Old November 27th 19, 02:27 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
soaringjac

Default Interior paint

I am looking to freshen up the interior of an old Grob 102. Mainly just want to put a new coat of paint on the interior walls of the cockpit. Any recommendations for paint I should be using? I prefer to brush it on rather than spray. I saw some enamel paint at Lowes but it says "oil-based" on it. I assume oil would be bad to put on the fiberglass? Just want to be sure whatever i use won't do anything to the glass.

thanks!
Old November 27th 19, 05:22 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tango Whisky

I went to a DIY shop and bought grey paint for floors. I used a brush, and after 10 years it'a still holding up pretty well.

I had asked Schempo-Hirth - they had used T35 with some black pigments before switching to their present design with fibers appearing.
Old November 27th 19, 06:00 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
soaringjac

On Tuesday, November 26, 2019 at 9:22:25 PM UTC-8, Tango Whisky wrote:
I went to a DIY shop and bought grey paint for floors. I used a brush, and after 10 years it'a still holding up pretty well.

I had asked Schempo-Hirth - they had used T35 with some black pigments before switching to their present design with fibers appearing.

What exactly is T35?
Old November 27th 19, 01:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tango Eight

On Wednesday, November 27, 2019 at 1:00:08 AM UTC-5, soaringjac wrote:
On Tuesday, November 26, 2019 at 9:22:25 PM UTC-8, Tango Whisky wrote:
I went to a DIY shop and bought grey paint for floors. I used a brush, and after 10 years it'a still holding up pretty well.

I had asked Schempo-Hirth - they had used T35 with some black pigments before switching to their present design with fibers appearing.

What exactly is T35?

Polyester gelcoat.

T8
Old November 27th 19, 01:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Wednesday, November 27, 2019 at 1:00:08 AM UTC-5, soaringjac wrote:
On Tuesday, November 26, 2019 at 9:22:25 PM UTC-8, Tango Whisky wrote:
I went to a DIY shop and bought grey paint for floors. I used a brush, and after 10 years it'a still holding up pretty well.

I had asked Schempo-Hirth - they had used T35 with some black pigments before switching to their present design with fibers appearing.

What exactly is T35?

T35 is polyester topcoat. What you might call "gelcoat".
I finish interiors with acrylic enamel from the auto refinish supply store. I buy a flat gray. It uses a hardener. I apply with a small roller. The roller leaves a slightly roughened surface that hides all the little flaws and makes it look "finished".
FWIW
UH

Old November 27th 19, 02:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
soaringjac

On Wednesday, November 27, 2019 at 5:22:46 AM UTC-8, wrote:
On Wednesday, November 27, 2019 at 1:00:08 AM UTC-5, soaringjac wrote:
On Tuesday, November 26, 2019 at 9:22:25 PM UTC-8, Tango Whisky wrote:
I went to a DIY shop and bought grey paint for floors. I used a brush, and after 10 years it'a still holding up pretty well.

I had asked Schempo-Hirth - they had used T35 with some black pigments before switching to their present design with fibers appearing.

What exactly is T35?

T35 is polyester topcoat. What you might call "gelcoat".
I finish interiors with acrylic enamel from the auto refinish supply store. I buy a flat gray. It uses a hardener. I apply with a small roller. The roller leaves a slightly roughened surface that hides all the little flaws and makes it look "finished".
FWIW
UH

Great thanks that does help. so seems like i can use almost any enamel paint. good call on using the flat
Old November 27th 19, 03:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

I finish interiors with acrylic enamel from the auto refinish supply store. I buy a flat gray. It uses a hardener. I apply with a small roller. The roller leaves a slightly roughened surface that hides all the little flaws and makes it look "finished". FWIW UH

Acrylic versus urethane for interiors? Comments please.

Raul Boerner

Old November 27th 19, 04:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Wednesday, November 27, 2019 at 10:31:11 AM UTC-5, wrote:
I finish interiors with acrylic enamel from the auto refinish supply store. I buy a flat gray. It uses a hardener. I apply with a small roller. The roller leaves a slightly roughened surface that hides all the little flaws and makes it look "finished". FWIW UH

Acrylic versus urethane for interiors? Comments please.

Raul Boerner

I actually use AU(acrylic urethane) but AE (acrylic enamel)works fine. Texture resulting from roller application makes more uniform finish.
Some suppliers may be limited in which products can be provided in semi flat.
Old November 27th 19, 08:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Youngblood

On Tuesday, November 26, 2019 at 9:27:35 PM UTC-5, soaringjac wrote:
I am looking to freshen up the interior of an old Grob 102. Mainly just want to put a new coat of paint on the interior walls of the cockpit. Any recommendations for paint I should be using? I prefer to brush it on rather than spray. I saw some enamel paint at Lowes but it says "oil-based" on it. I assume oil would be bad to put on the fiberglass? Just want to be sure whatever i use won't do anything to the glass.

thanks!

Since you are not spraying, which I would highly suggest you may want to look toward a two part epoxy. Rock Solid is a garage floor product available at Home Depot. It is a great product and you will be very satisfied. Bob

Interior Paint Jonathan Goodish Owning 3 August 22nd 06 01:16 AM
Interior Paint Color Brian Iten Soaring 3 January 3rd 05 06:10 PM
Interior Spray Paint Ben Smith Owning 11 June 14th 04 08:33 PM
Paint for interior details Frode Berg Owning 1 June 14th 04 01:19 AM
looking for paint and /or interior shop NC SC VA Dave Butler Owning 0 August 6th 03 02:27 PM