A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Interior paint

Old November 27th 19, 02:27 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
soaringjac
external usenet poster

Default Interior paint

I am looking to freshen up the interior of an old Grob 102. Mainly just want to put a new coat of paint on the interior walls of the cockpit. Any recommendations for paint I should be using? I prefer to brush it on rather than spray. I saw some enamel paint at Lowes but it says "oil-based" on it. I assume oil would be bad to put on the fiberglass? Just want to be sure whatever i use won't do anything to the glass.

thanks!
Old November 27th 19, 05:22 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tango Whisky
external usenet poster

Default Interior paint

I went to a DIY shop and bought grey paint for floors. I used a brush, and after 10 years it'a still holding up pretty well.

I had asked Schempo-Hirth - they had used T35 with some black pigments before switching to their present design with fibers appearing.
Old November 27th 19, 06:00 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
soaringjac
external usenet poster

Default Interior paint

On Tuesday, November 26, 2019 at 9:22:25 PM UTC-8, Tango Whisky wrote:
I went to a DIY shop and bought grey paint for floors. I used a brush, and after 10 years it'a still holding up pretty well.

I had asked Schempo-Hirth - they had used T35 with some black pigments before switching to their present design with fibers appearing.

What exactly is T35?
Old November 27th 19, 01:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tango Eight
external usenet poster

Default Interior paint

On Wednesday, November 27, 2019 at 1:00:08 AM UTC-5, soaringjac wrote:

What exactly is T35?

Polyester gelcoat.

T8
Old November 27th 19, 01:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default Interior paint

What exactly is T35?

T35 is polyester topcoat. What you might call "gelcoat".
I finish interiors with acrylic enamel from the auto refinish supply store. I buy a flat gray. It uses a hardener. I apply with a small roller. The roller leaves a slightly roughened surface that hides all the little flaws and makes it look "finished".
FWIW
UH
Old November 27th 19, 02:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
soaringjac
external usenet poster

Default Interior paint

On Wednesday, November 27, 2019 at 5:21:43 AM UTC-8, Tango Eight wrote:

What exactly is T35?

Polyester gelcoat.

T8

ah. ok thanks
Old November 27th 19, 02:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
soaringjac
external usenet poster

Default Interior paint

On Wednesday, November 27, 2019 at 5:22:46 AM UTC-8, wrote:

What exactly is T35?

T35 is polyester topcoat. What you might call "gelcoat".
I finish interiors with acrylic enamel from the auto refinish supply store. I buy a flat gray. It uses a hardener. I apply with a small roller. The roller leaves a slightly roughened surface that hides all the little flaws and makes it look "finished".
FWIW
UH

Great thanks that does help. so seems like i can use almost any enamel paint. good call on using the flat
Old November 27th 19, 03:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default Interior paint

I finish interiors with acrylic enamel from the auto refinish supply store. I buy a flat gray. It uses a hardener. I apply with a small roller. The roller leaves a slightly roughened surface that hides all the little flaws and makes it look "finished". FWIW UH

Acrylic versus urethane for interiors? Comments please.

Raul Boerner

Old November 27th 19, 04:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default Interior paint

On Wednesday, November 27, 2019 at 10:31:11 AM UTC-5, wrote:
I finish interiors with acrylic enamel from the auto refinish supply store. I buy a flat gray. It uses a hardener. I apply with a small roller. The roller leaves a slightly roughened surface that hides all the little flaws and makes it look "finished". FWIW UH

Acrylic versus urethane for interiors? Comments please.

Raul Boerner

I actually use AU(acrylic urethane) but AE (acrylic enamel)works fine. Texture resulting from roller application makes more uniform finish.
Some suppliers may be limited in which products can be provided in semi flat.
Old November 27th 19, 08:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Youngblood
external usenet poster

Default Interior paint

On Tuesday, November 26, 2019 at 9:27:35 PM UTC-5, soaringjac wrote:
I am looking to freshen up the interior of an old Grob 102. Mainly just want to put a new coat of paint on the interior walls of the cockpit. Any recommendations for paint I should be using? I prefer to brush it on rather than spray. I saw some enamel paint at Lowes but it says "oil-based" on it. I assume oil would be bad to put on the fiberglass? Just want to be sure whatever i use won't do anything to the glass.

thanks!

Since you are not spraying, which I would highly suggest you may want to look toward a two part epoxy. Rock Solid is a garage floor product available at Home Depot. It is a great product and you will be very satisfied. Bob