Tie-down and Taxes

Old January 26th 07, 05:12 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
309

Default Tie-down and Taxes

I've moved my glider from it's usual place of "nesting" (a hangar in
L.A. County) to a tiedown at Cal City (in Kern County).

Anybody else have any advice on dealing with the tax assessor statement
that came? I moved it up to the highlands in February of 2006, so
technically I think it's a Kern County Dweller now, and I pay the tax
to Kern, rather than L.A. (currently, there isn't room at the inn in
L.A. to keep the glider...).

Any advice on minimum headach with the tax man (men?...er,
women?)...since it's old and not very valuable, I don't mind paying a
modicum of tax...after all, it helps pay for repaving runways, roads
(for the landouts...or at least the crew), etc., etc., etc., -- or
that's what they SAY...

-Pete

Old January 26th 07, 11:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
raulb

Inform LA Co.Tax Assessor that the glider is no longer in LA Co. and
that it permanently left the county in Feb. '06.

They will probably ask you where it is now located, but you have a
Constitutional right against self-incrimination. I alway just tell
them "it is not in LA Co." and I never hear from LA again (been thru
this with 4 gliders). I am, however, awaiting the other county's
assessment.

Old January 27th 07, 04:38 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Kern County's fiscal year is from July1 to June 30. They will assess
property based on where it was located at 12:01am January 1 of that
calendar year. See
http://recorder.co.kern.ca.us/assess...tant_dates.cfm

If you don't want to pay Kern unsecured property taxes, get a BG-12.
Kern doesn't send a tax bill for unsecured property valued under
approx. $5k.

SP AM

Old January 27th 07, 02:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tuno

Dude, like, you live in Kahlifoania. Hand your checkbook to Arnold and
be done with it.

Old January 28th 07, 09:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Pete,
I had same issue arise; I live in Riverside county and my glider
is in San Diego county. The first tax bill was from Riverside. Then
they started coming from San Diego. It might take a year or 2 for them
to figure it out. You pay taxes depending where glider is based, not
where you live.
I made a phone call when I got the second notice in the year(from
other county). Person there very cordial and saying they just want to
make sure the tax is collected once, certainly not twice. It took a
year or so for the tax bills to only come from San Diego. It won't
happen overnight. Don't sweat it.

Dean Chantiles "GO"