CA taxes... again

Old February 25th 08, 05:31 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default CA taxes... again

Sorry to beat your brains, but I'm trying to wrap my own around all of
this. I've read many posts on the subject so far and am still
confused.

I'm trying to determine the costs with moving my ship to CA and the
related taxes. I've already been hit by the tax man in my current
state, will have to pay the states Use Tax (unless I can find a
legitimate exemption).

so questions... if I move to CA (and base out of CA, I'm thinking
Crystal currently)
1) Am I going to be hit again by the tax man for sales/use tax?
2) Is this a one time charge or a yearly pain in the a$$ ?
3) What are the current rates for said home base?
4) Will I need any more documentation other than sales invoice and
taxman letter?
5) How does the tax man determine 'fair market value'?

I understand that I need to pay if I want to play, but I'd like to
know how much before I commit to a job transfer.

Britton
Old February 25th 08, 05:55 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Marc Ramsey[_2_]

wrote:
so questions... if I move to CA (and base out of CA, I'm thinking
Crystal currently)
1) Am I going to be hit again by the tax man for sales/use tax?
2) Is this a one time charge or a yearly pain in the a$$ ?
3) What are the current rates for said home base?
4) Will I need any more documentation other than sales invoice and
taxman letter?
5) How does the tax man determine 'fair market value'?

I understand that I need to pay if I want to play, but I'd like to
know how much before I commit to a job transfer.

No sales/use tax, if they try to hit you up, just explain that you just
became a resident, and you owned it prior to the move. Yes county
property tax, they will come after you at the beginning of the next
fiscal year after you move, the county where it sits on January 1 is the
one you are supposed to pay. Fair market value does not include the
trailer, runs about 1% of assessed value per year (some counties are
somewhat more than others), they'll send you a form where you fill in a
value, some counties are more savvy than others, and they'll get real
upset if they think you are out of line with other gliders they know about.

Trailer is handled through CA DMV, also no use tax since you owned it
prior to the move, they can't really collect taxes any more, so the fees
are pretty minimal.

Marc

Tie-down and Taxes 309 Soaring 4 January 28th 07 09:46 PM
Aviation Taxes in Florida soxinbox Owning 3 August 16th 06 06:46 PM
sales/property taxes John Doe Owning 14 October 21st 05 03:41 AM
Fuel Taxes john smith Piloting 0 September 10th 05 12:49 AM
Taxes and Flying Clubs CHRISTOPHER SPIERINGS Owning 9 February 11th 05 01:14 AM