New flight recorder - flyWithCE Flight Recorder

Old May 2nd 09, 12:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
uros

Default New flight recorder - flyWithCE Flight Recorder

This spring I have released two new products – flyWithCE Flight
Recorder and flyWithCE Logbook.

Flight Recorder is the smallest flight recorder on the market (and
also the cheapest). It has built in internal antenna and memory large
enough to record 100 hours with 1s recording rate interval (recording
rate is adjustable). Device is powered by two AAA batteries. With 1000
mAh NiMH rechargeable batteries you will be able to record up to 8
hours long flights. There is also option of external power supply.

Flight Recorder is very easy to use. Together with the device you will
receive Logbook program with which you will be able to download and
view flights in your IGC file viewer (SeeYou, Strepla...) or in Google
Earth.

Device is not IGC certified and does not have the pressure altitude
(records GPS altitude) and engine noise sensor. It will produce signed
IGC files (signature is required by on line championships).

If you would like to know more about the recorder I would recommend
that you visit:
Flight Recorder device – www.flywithce.com/recorder.html
Logbook program – www.flywithce.com/logbook.html

You can order products online or from local distributors:
USA – Tim Mara from Wings & Wheels - www.wingsandwheels.com
UK – John Delafield from LX avionics Ltd. - www.lxavionics.co.uk

Best regards

Uros Podlogar
www.flyWithCE.com
Old May 2nd 09, 03:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tim Mara[_2_]

FlyWithCE's development and testing has gone on for well over the past two
years with a variety of GPS Data-logger devices to get to this release but
now these tiny recorders are now in stock here at Wings & Wheels. They are
very tiny, in fact would be small enough to hang on a necklace but should
like all other GPS devices set in a location stable enough to keep the top
facing skyward to receive GPS signals. Weighs only 1.5 ounces without
batteries (2 AAA) and 2.3 ounces with batteries installed. I flew with one
last summer, a prototype which worked very well but the new version has far
better, production software making them very user friendly . They record the
data stored on IGC data-loggers (but without IGC approval) and flyWithCE
Flight Recorder will record signed flights that can be used for competitions
like OLC , they should be acceptable loggers for contests where IGC
data-loggers are not typically required. These are not the same GPS data
loggers that you might find elsewhere but have been modified by the
manufacturer to spec for FlywithCE include GPS data as we use for IGC type
flight verification. At this low cost nearly any glider pilot can and will
have the opportunity to view and share flights with their friends and
participate in further flying adventures.
for more info see http://www.wingsandwheels.com/page11.htm or
http://www.flywithce.com/recorder.html
best regards
tim

Old May 2nd 09, 06:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_5_]

On Sat, 02 May 2009 10:22:34 -0400, Tim Mara wrote:

FlyWithCE's development and testing has gone on for well over the past
two years with a variety of GPS Data-logger devices to get to this
release but now these tiny recorders are now in stock here at Wings &
Wheels.

An interesting device. I have two questions that are not covered on your
or the maker's web sites:

- can the logger be powered via its USB socket?

- how does the logger present itself on a USB socket - as a
serial device, a mass storage device or something else?
IOW, can it be accessed as if its flash memory?
I'm asking because I don't run Windows and would prefer to avoid WINE.

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK
Old May 3rd 09, 12:56 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tim Mara[_2_]

An interesting device. I have two questions that are not covered on your
or the maker's web sites:

- can the logger be powered via its USB socket?

we've actually already gone over some of these questions and below is a
response from Uros at flyWithCE:

GPS has USB connector which can also be used as external power supply. You
can use any standard 12V to USB power supply, but I would advise that you
check for the efficiency and make sure that this power supply will not
interfere with other electronics devices. The thing is that good adapter
will be a switcher which has more than 80% efficiency and bad switched could
cause problems. This new device looks
interesting:http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProdu...duct_Id=489424

- how does the logger present itself on a USB socket - as a
serial device, a mass storage device or something else?
IOW, can it be accessed as if its flash memory?
I'm asking because I don't run Windows and would prefer to avoid WINE.

I'll have to defer any questions regarding operating systems to Uros as well
since though I use a PC I run XP and couldn't answer technical PC questions
, Uros however does this also for a living.

tim

Old May 3rd 09, 09:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Michael[_7_]

On May 2, 6:38*am, uros wrote:
This spring I have released two new products – flyWithCE Flight
Recorder and flyWithCE Logbook.

That's a cool little device. Am I reading it right that it has just
one button for on/off? I'm assuming that the way you tell it that
you're ending one flight and starting another is by cycling the
power? Is there any LED to indicate when it has a good GPS lock?

--Michael
Old May 4th 09, 03:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
ContestID67[_2_]

On May 3, 3:02*pm, Michael wrote:
On May 2, 6:38*am, uros wrote:

This spring I have released two new products – flyWithCE Flight
Recorder and flyWithCE Logbook.

That's a cool little device. *Am I reading it right that it has just
one button for on/off? *I'm assuming that the way you tell it that
you're ending one flight and starting another is by cycling the
power? * Is there any LED to indicate when it has a good GPS lock?

--Michael

Are there any plans to make this recorder IGC certified (and add a
altitude pressure transducer)?
Old May 4th 09, 08:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
uros

Please visit the Wings & Wheels website atwww.wingsandwheels.com

"Martin Gregorie" wrote in message

On Sat, 02 May 2009 10:22:34 -0400, Tim Mara wrote:

FlyWithCE's development and testing has gone on for well over the past
two years with a variety of GPS Data-logger devices to get to this
release but now these tiny recorders are now in stock here at Wings &
Wheels.

--
martin@ * | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK
org * * * |- Hide quoted text -

Device presents itself as USB to serial adapter. Because of that the
driver installation is necessary. All other tasks of downloading
flights are performed by Logbook application, which is also Windows
application. So Windows operating system is needed (virtual machine
will also do - I am often testing in virtual PC).

Best regards

Uros
Old May 4th 09, 08:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
uros

On May 3, 10:02*pm, Michael wrote:
On May 2, 6:38*am, uros wrote:

This spring I have released two new products – flyWithCE Flight
Recorder and flyWithCE Logbook.

That's a cool little device. *Am I reading it right that it has just
one button for on/off? *I'm assuming that the way you tell it that
you're ending one flight and starting another is by cycling the
power? * Is there any LED to indicate when it has a good GPS lock?

--Michael

Yes there is one led with simple status:
- blinking green - searching for satellite fix
- green - normal operation - logging
- blinking red - low power

When you power on the device it will start searching for satellites
and after satellite position is determined it will start logging. To
finish one flight and start new one you just turn off the device for
30 seconds. I am also updating the software so that it will detect the
landing. But still - it is much easier if you cycle the power.

Best regards

Uros
Old May 4th 09, 08:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
uros

On May 4, 4:57*pm, ContestID67 wrote:
On May 3, 3:02*pm, Michael wrote:

On May 2, 6:38*am, uros wrote:

This spring I have released two new products – flyWithCE Flight
Recorder and flyWithCE Logbook.

That's a cool little device. *Am I reading it right that it has just
one button for on/off? *I'm assuming that the way you tell it that
you're ending one flight and starting another is by cycling the
power? * Is there any LED to indicate when it has a good GPS lock?

--Michael

Are there any plans to make this recorder IGC certified (and add a
altitude pressure transducer)?

In this version pressure sensor could not be added. I am still
reviewing the IGC certification possibilities, but I would rather say
no than to promise something that I cannot keep.

On the other hand I would like to offer an alternative to mainstream
IGC certified flight recorders and add new features. One of those
features was already added – use of Google Earth to view flights. This
is very good program and has as spectacular 2D and 3D views. It is
free to use and it also works in offline mode (when you are not
connected to the Internet). And you can send KML files to anyone who
has Google Earth installed.

Best regards

Uros
Old May 5th 09, 12:54 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tim Mara[_2_]

yes, when you initially turn it on it blinks red, when it is searching for
GPS it flashes green, once locked on to GPS it goes to solid green and stays
there...(I mean it STAYS there !...I've been playing with these for quite a
while and they do lock on and stay locked on)....it really is a pretty neat
little device.. The new software is also pretty neat, very well planned out
and very user friendly...if I have any complaint it would be that it is so
small.....not so sure that's a problem!
tim

"Michael" wrote in message
On May 2, 6:38 am, uros wrote:
This spring I have released two new products – flyWithCE Flight
Recorder and flyWithCE Logbook.

That's a cool little device. Am I reading it right that it has just
one button for on/off? I'm assuming that the way you tell it that
you're ending one flight and starting another is by cycling the
power? Is there any LED to indicate when it has a good GPS lock?

--Michael

SN-10b EW flight recorder/PDA combination Jim Archer Soaring 5 November 18th 08 12:30 PM
In flight recorder Lou Piloting 23 March 24th 07 12:45 AM
EW B-Model flight recorder BDS Soaring 12 August 19th 06 04:39 PM
US: Flight Recorder Alert Judy Ruprecht Soaring 8 July 19th 04 09:04 PM
who does Flight Recorder calibration... ken ward Soaring 4 March 5th 04 02:28 AM