Is it best to use an Oudie with a Calibri II or a LX Nano....?

Old February 6th 12, 02:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Michael Marshall

Default Is it best to use an Oudie with a Calibri II or a LX Nano....?

Good afternoon,

I am a budding cross country pilot that is trying to work on the best
flight logger to pair up to my Oudie for recording my flights for the
BGA ladder and also for competitions and badge claim flights.

The system that I use needs to be mobile as I do not want it hard-
wired into the glider.

I am going to use a USB power pack, something like socket mobile
that lasts for 10 hours plus.

Is the Calibri II able to connect to the Oudie? Or would it be better
to go for a Nano?

Any suggestions and advice would be very welcome.

Kind regards
Michael Marshall

London Gliding Club

Old February 6th 12, 02:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony[_5_]

On Feb 6, 8:06*am, Michael Marshall
wrote:
Good afternoon,

I am a budding cross country pilot that is trying to work on the best
flight logger to pair up to my Oudie for recording my flights for the
BGA ladder and also for competitions and badge claim flights.

The system that I use needs to be mobile as I do not want it hard-
wired into the glider.

I am going to use a USB power pack, something like socket mobile
that lasts for 10 hours plus.

Is the Calibri II able to connect to the Oudie? Or would it be better
to go for a Nano?

Any suggestions and advice would be very welcome.

Kind regards
Michael Marshall

London Gliding Club

http://www.wingsandwheels.com/pdf/Co...20II%203.6.pdf

There is the ability for NMEA output to an Oudie.

I use the same setup you are considering with a Nano and Oudie and
Socket Mobile Power Pack. As long as you remember to turn on the power
pack it works great and is super portable and Cumulus Soaring sells a
nice cable to connect everything. Not sure if that cable would work
with the Colibri II.
Old February 6th 12, 02:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andrej Kolar[_4_]

It depends a little on what your needs are.

.. Both loggers will send NMEA data to Oudie
.. Both Companies (LX Nav and LX Navigation) offer cables for simple
direct connection of their loggers to Oudie

So there is no problem for basic navigation.

If the following communication features are important to you then
these may be important differences:

.. It is possible to download flight from Nano to Oudie. Colibri II
does not have this feature.
.. It is possible to upload flight declaration to Nano from Oudie. It's
not possible to do that with Colibri II.
.. It is very easy to connect Oudie to Nano by Bluetooth - no cables.
There is no Bluetooth in Colibri II.

There is a conversation about this at the Naviter Support forum:
http://forum.naviter.com/showthread....-compatibility

Please note that we are not affiliated with either company.

Regards,
Andrej Kolar
--
glider pilots use
http://

Old February 6th 12, 05:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Remde

Hi Michael,

I don't sell the Colibri II, but I do sell (and have flown with myself) a
very nice package with Oudie, Nano and Socket Mobile Power Pack. It
includes a Goddard Y-cable for connecting the Nano and Oudie to the Socket
Mobile Power Pack and also includes 2-way data connections. I highly
recommend that package.
http://www.cumulus-soaring.com/lxnav...xample_Systems

One major advantage to the LXNAV Nano is that if you use it alone, its
internal battery lasts 18 to 24 hours. The Colibri II's battery doesn't
last even half that long. Otherwise, the Colibri II looks interesting.

Best Regards,

Paul Remde
Cumulus Soaring, Inc.

.com...

Old February 6th 12, 07:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tim Mara

not exactly true.......
Both are excellent data loggers but the nano alone is rated at
(Nano)Integrated LiIon battery gives you up to 15 hours of independent power
supply
and
(Colibri II) Internal battery ensures up to 10 hours of autonomy, after
using of screen saver function
and few would use even just the Oudie alone without connecting it to
external power so connecting also the Colibri II or Nano to external power
wouldn't be any advantage to one over the other
Nano is excellent....and tiny, but larger than the Colibri II and does not
have a display, the nav or vario functions and the ability to display FLARM
on the screen when connected to a FLARM device.....I have both Colibri II
and Nano (+others) and all are well accepted.
tim

signature database 6863 (20120206) __________

http://www.eset.com

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 6863 (20120206) __________

http://www.eset.com

Old February 6th 12, 08:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Remde

Hi,

Not quite true. Your number below of 15 hours for the Nano is out of date.
A few months ago LXNAV updated the LXNAV Nano firmware so that the battery
life was extended significantly. Their web site now shows that it lasts
about 28 hours. That is more than twice as long as the Colibri II's
battery.
http://www.lxnav.com/products/nano.html

Paul Remde

Old February 7th 12, 02:09 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Sean Fidler

Tim,

What is the screen time for the Calibri 2 with the screen on? This is the statistic that is important. I would want to use the screen and want it to easily last a full cross country flight with the screen on and operating to its full feature set. I understand this is around 4 hours?

I have been using the Nano for one year now and am really happy with it. It is impressive and simple to operate. Easy to lose ;-). That said I was very interested in the same unit with the navigation features...awesome! But...

While the Cabibri 2's screen functions, particularly the navigation function is really cool...but without the battery life it seems a little suspect. Hopefully they will work on a Calibri 3 Or Calibri II (v2) that will get at least 10 hours (full contest or cross country day) of battery life with the screen ON!

I think it clear that battery life is key for a logger or any instrument that is intended to be utilized for the full flight.

Also, when is the last time that any product has lived up to its full advertised battery life? It is clear that the Nano is good for 24 hours or so (or two full flying days). Lets assume 28 is a stretch. I have experienced this battery duration already and have flown for 3 days without charging in once case. In the case of the Cabibri 3, its screen on power is something like 4 hours. They don't even list it specifically in their own product description (hmmmmm?). (http://www.lxavionics.co.uk/flightrecorders.htm) Why is that I wonder?

To be honest, it sounds to me like they scrimped on the battery to be price competitive with the Nano or their requirements for the product were flawed (size or battery life). I strongly considered buying one but the battery life is a big, big issue to me. These units are backups for me..and I really want them to be fool proof. Running out of batteries is not an option if the gliders power somehow shuts off... 4 hours is NO DEAL!

Let us know if they improve this.

Sean
F2
Old February 7th 12, 04:22 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS

Besides the battery life difference, what I gather is that the Nano is
much easier to manage. It connects to a computer as a removable drive.
With the Colibri you must transfer the IGC file to the micro SD card,
remove it, and connect the card to the computer.
Apparently the USB port on the Colibri is only for battery charging?
Jim
Old February 7th 12, 04:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

You can make a simple power supply by cannibalizing a standard car plug to
USB mini (like for a cell phone or GPS). Connect the car plug voltage
regulator to your ship's battery and as many USB minis as you need in
parallel to supply all your little devices.

Should your ship's power should fail unexpectedly, your little devices are
fully charged at that point and should last for the rest of the flight.

I use the 5v output from my CAI-302 wired to the red and black wires in a
USB mini to power my XCSoar Android, which will run all day on its own, but,
should all else fail, will provide me with GPS and an OLC-approved logger
for the remainder of any forseeable flight. And, as said above, it will be
fully charged at the point of failure of the ship's battery.

Latest Nano update Ventus2NZ Soaring 6 May 22nd 14 02:46 AM
Lx NANO and Windows 7 fcnorton Soaring 9 April 2nd 11 02:45 AM
LXNAV Nano and LX 9000 Overview Videos Available Paul Remde Soaring 3 February 28th 11 01:58 PM
Nano Logger Ed Soaring 7 September 10th 10 08:32 PM
New Ipod Nano Just Released, Free (with only 2 referrals) [email protected] Owning 2 September 16th 05 02:28 AM