Travel to Hyannis

Old June 23rd 06, 03:31 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default Travel to Hyannis

Any recommendations for flying into Hyannis (KHYA)? It's in my plans for
next week.

I have to admit: I'm a little worried about it. I saw on the Jepp plate
that one must contact airport ops, before shutdown, for an escort. That
doesn't sound friendly.

Thanks...

Andrew

Old June 23rd 06, 03:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

On Fri, 23 Jun 2006 06:47:37 -0700, Kingfish wrote:

as every time I fly into
HYA I go to Griffin (no escort).

I take it, then, that you recommend Griffin as an FBO of choice on the
field?

I just thought to look at the Airnav comments for Griffin, and I see
mention of escorting in one post. Another post speaks of just driving a
car out to a plane. Puzzling.

But everyone does seem to like Griffin.

That rule might be for GA planes parking
on the city ramp? I'd call ops ahead of time and find out.

That's a good idea, but I think I'll start by calling the FBO.

Also, this
time of year you'd definitely want to be up to speed on IFR procedures -
it IS the Cape,after all : )

Laugh Yes.

The weather is in fact why I'm planning on Hyannis rather than Chatham
(with which I'm already comfortable). I'm picking up some friends for a
little event here, and then bringing them back. I'd hate for their car to
be at Chatham when the weather during the return forces me to land at
Hyannis.

But I do have some slight experience with weather in the neighborhood.
Once, pre-IR, I was trapped at Chatham by this silly little layer of cloud
that was nowhere but there. I also remember a t/o from ACK where fog
was hanging on the departure end of the runway while all else was
completely clear.

That happens to have been my wife's first cotton-ball IMC experience.

- Andrew

Old June 23rd 06, 05:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Andrew Gideon wrote:

I take it, then, that you recommend Griffin as an FBO of choice on the
field?

Absolutely. Nice guys, and they're at the quiet end of the field.

The weather is in fact why I'm planning on Hyannis rather than Chatham
(with which I'm already comfortable). I'm picking up some friends for a
little event here, and then bringing them back.

I've used Hyannis as an alternate for Chatham as well. Chatham's NDB
minimums don't leave many options when the yuck comes in. At least HYA
has an ILS which has saved me on one memorable occasion.

But I do have some slight experience with weather in the neighborhood.
Once, pre-IR, I was trapped at Chatham by this silly little layer of cloud
that was nowhere but there. I also remember a t/o from ACK where fog
was hanging on the departure end of the runway while all else was
completely clear.

Ya gotta love Cape Cod g

Old July 3rd 06, 05:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Andrew Gideon

On Fri, 23 Jun 2006 10:18:07 -0400, Andrew Gideon wrote:

I just thought to look at the Airnav comments for Griffin, and I see
mention of escorting in one post. Another post speaks of just driving a
car out to a plane. Puzzling.

BTW, the AF/D also warns to call airport ops prior to shutdown.

I've yet to make my trip (thanks to MX issues). I'm hoping that weather
tomorrow will permit. Ideally, I'd go to CQX instead of HYA. But if
weather requires HYA...well, I suppose I'll learn about the escorting.

At least my almost-four-year-old won't be with me. That makes it easier
to be flexible in the face of weirdness.

- Andrew

Old July 3rd 06, 11:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Kingfish

Andrew Gideon wrote:

I've yet to make my trip (thanks to MX issues). I'm hoping that weather
tomorrow will permit. Ideally, I'd go to CQX instead of HYA. But if
weather requires HYA...well, I suppose I'll learn about the escorting.

I've had to scrub my trip to Montauk tomorrow, as there's lotsa
convective stuff forecast for the area. pout Getting bounced around
(shaken apart?) over Long Island Sound is not a fun way to celebrate an
anniversary. I 'spose we'll just have to find another place for
lobster...

Old July 4th 06, 02:18 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bob Noel

In article ,
Andrew Gideon wrote:

On Fri, 23 Jun 2006 10:18:07 -0400, Andrew Gideon wrote:

I just thought to look at the Airnav comments for Griffin, and I see
mention of escorting in one post. Another post speaks of just driving a
car out to a plane. Puzzling.

BTW, the AF/D also warns to call airport ops prior to shutdown.

I've yet to make my trip (thanks to MX issues). I'm hoping that weather
tomorrow will permit. Ideally, I'd go to CQX instead of HYA. But if
weather requires HYA...well, I suppose I'll learn about the escorting.

hmmm. I forgot all about this when I flew into HYA on saturday. (I was
picking up a local pilot to fly him to KASH to pick up his airplace) No
one said boo to me re airport ops. I just asked to taxi to cape cod air
and then talked to their unicom re transient parking.

I *was* wearing my stupid idiotic KBED id badge - maybe that made a difference
if anyone was looking.

--
Bob Noel
Looking for a sig the