A-6 crash after launch?

Old May 28th 06, 08:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.military.naval

Default A-6 crash after launch? OBTW

"John Carrier" wrote...

I think a canopy interlock would have been simple to engineer. Certainly part
of the engineering to retrofit command ejection.

When you're fighting for $$ with the Hornet and Tomcat guys, nothing is
"simple"... ;-)

Old May 28th 06, 08:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.military.naval

"Doug "Woody" and Erin Beal" wrote...

The A-6 got command eject in about 1994. I flew several jets that had it,
and it was a simple mod. It was a shame that the jet got it only 3 years
prior to retirement. Too little, too late.

All I saw was 1 prototype at China Lake before I left in '94. Didn't know they
actually got to the fleet...

Old May 28th 06, 09:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.military.naval

"John Weiss" jrweiss98155nospamatnospamcomcastdotnospamnet wrote in
message . ..
"John Carrier" wrote...

I think a canopy interlock would have been simple to engineer. Certainly
part of the engineering to retrofit command ejection.

When you're fighting for $$ with the Hornet and Tomcat guys, nothing is
"simple"... ;-)

Trust me, the Turkey didn't see much either.

R / John

Old May 28th 06, 10:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.military.naval

"Doug "Woody" and Erin Beal" wrote in message
On 5/28/06 6:27 AM, in article
,
"John Carrier" wrote:

"John Weiss" jrweiss98155nospamatnospamcomcastdotnospamnet wrote in
message ...
"John Carrier" wrote...
One of the peculiarities of the A-6 was its lack of a command ejection
system. There was some kind of reverse (perverse) logic in the
community
that had sufficient following to keep it that way (IIRC) for the life
of
the aircraft.

Part of it had to do with the lack of automatic canopy sequencing. You
could go through the canopy or after the canopy, but not while it was in
transit (because of the forward bow). If one Crewmember hit the canopy
jettison while the other pulled the ejection handle, it was bad news for
at least one of them -- both if the canopy got hung up on the first
seat...

I think a canopy interlock would have been simple to engineer. Certainly
part of the engineering to retrofit command ejection.

R / John

The A-6 got command eject in about 1994. I flew several jets that had it,
and it was a simple mod. It was a shame that the jet got it only 3 years
prior to retirement. Too little, too late.

Scary when you can remember your boldface 10 years later. Well, there are
some OCF procedures that ring true after 30+, the indelible knowledge
required for flying non-DCS fighters.

Glad to hear the A-6 finally got command eject. My last flight in one was
fall 1986. Classic Grumman iron.

R / John

Old May 29th 06, 12:37 AM posted to rec.aviation.military.naval

Default A-6 crash after launch?

In article ,
Bob Moore wrote:

Allen Epps wrote
This the S-1 video through the wave you were looking at?

http://tinyurl.com/jjjo5

What is (was) an S-1?

From the web:

The skipping of the P-1 designation in the 1962 Joint designation scheme
was most likely due to the fact that it was convenient to redesignate the
P2V, P3V, P4Y, and P5M to P-2, P-3, P-4, and P-5, respectively. 28. Similar
to note 27, the S-1 designation was most likely skipped out of the
convenience of renaming the S2F to S-2 and continuing from there.

Bob Moore
S-2F NAS Kingsville 1959

Accck of course I meant C-1

Pugs
Old May 29th 06, 05:29 AM posted to rec.aviation.military.naval

Allen wrote:
In article ,
Bob Moore wrote:

Allen Epps wrote

This the S-1 video through the wave you were looking at?

http://tinyurl.com/jjjo5

What is (was) an S-1?

From the web:

The skipping of the P-1 designation in the 1962 Joint designation scheme
was most likely due to the fact that it was convenient to redesignate the
P2V, P3V, P4Y, and P5M to P-2, P-3, P-4, and P-5, respectively. 28. Similar
to note 27, the S-1 designation was most likely skipped out of the
convenience of renaming the S2F to S-2 and continuing from there.

Bob Moore
S-2F NAS Kingsville 1959

Accck of course I meant C-1

Pugs

The MAD boom in the tail makes that photo an S-2.

Rick

Old May 29th 06, 05:50 AM posted to rec.aviation.military.naval

Yofuri wrote:
Allen wrote:
In article ,
Bob Moore wrote:

Allen Epps wrote

This the S-1 video through the wave you were looking at?

http://tinyurl.com/jjjo5

What is (was) an S-1?

From the web:

The skipping of the P-1 designation in the 1962 Joint designation scheme
was most likely due to the fact that it was convenient to redesignate the
P2V, P3V, P4Y, and P5M to P-2, P-3, P-4, and P-5, respectively. 28. Similar
to note 27, the S-1 designation was most likely skipped out of the
convenience of renaming the S2F to S-2 and continuing from there.

Bob Moore
S-2F NAS Kingsville 1959

Accck of course I meant C-1

Pugs

The MAD boom in the tail makes that photo an S-2.

As do the tail markings, if I saw them correctly; "NS" (CVSG-53 -
which didn't operate from Tico until the 1970s.). That's either VS-21,
-29, or -35.

MW

Old May 29th 06, 11:31 AM posted to rec.aviation.military.naval

Essex class carriers had bow cats only.

Dick...

"DDAY" wrote in message
. net...
I was watching a documentary called "Top Gun" on the Military Channel.

They had some footage of some cat launches gone wrong. In one an A-6 took
off the waist catapult of a carrier and started losing altitude almost
immediately. Then something really big fell off the plane, it started to
roll, and the pilots ejected at very low altitude.

Any idea what happened there? I remember hearing about some aircraft
launch
where the fuel in an external tank acted like a ram and caused some heavy
damage, but I'm not sure if these are the same events.

In another shot, a large prop plane, possibly an S-2F, took off the waist
catapult of a smaller Essex class carrier and immediately slammed into a
wave. Again, does anybody have any details?

Old May 29th 06, 10:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.military.naval

Did anyone receive dolphins for this? g

--
Mike Kanze

"It's scary when you start making the same noises as your coffeemaker."

- Anonymous

"John Weiss" jrweiss98155nospamatnospamcomcastdotnospamnet wrote in message ...
"Allen Epps" wrote...

This the S-1 video through the wave you were looking at?

I've seen an A-7 launch through a similar wave off Midway in the northern
Pacific. I think we were all surprised when he flew out the other side!

VQ-1's P4M-1Q crash off China - 1956 Mike Naval Aviation 0 May 6th 06 11:13 PM
Yet another A36 crash H.P. Piloting 10 April 23rd 05 05:58 PM
spaceship one Pianome Home Built 169 June 30th 04 05:47 AM