Winds on long runways

Old July 12th 04, 05:32 PM
Casey Wilson

Default Winds on long runways

Another day at Edwards AFB

12 JUL 0928L (1628Z)
Rwy 22: 166/5KTS
166/6MPH
Cross Wind: 7 KTS

Rwy 4: 202/5KTS
202/6MPH

Note the different wind directions at opposite ends of the same runway.

Old July 12th 04, 05:40 PM
Paul Tomblin

In a previous article, "Casey Wilson" said:
Another day at Edwards AFB
12 JUL 0928L (1628Z)
Rwy 22: 166/5KTS
166/6MPH
Cross Wind: 7 KTS

How can the cross wind component be higher than the wind?

Oh, I forgot that at Edwards the wind has an imaginary component.

--
Paul Tomblin http://xcski.com/blogs/pt/
There are three kinds of people: Those who can count & those who can't.
Old July 12th 04, 06:34 PM
Maule Driver

Nothing unusual about light winds coming from multiple directions over the
distance of a mile or more. Thermal activity will do that all day long. A
good dust devil will caused all sorts of disagreements

Old July 12th 04, 07:08 PM
OtisWinslow

"Paul Tomblin" wrote in message

How can the cross wind component be higher than the wind?

--
Paul Tomblin http://xcski.com/blogs/pt/
There are three kinds of people: Those who can count & those who can't.

That's classified. They can't tell you.

Old July 13th 04, 01:07 AM
BTIZ

we get that at our airport too... actually more diverse than a 40degree
swing.. I've seen 180degree differences on a 3700ft runway... wind socks at
both ends pointed at each other, and the mid field wind sock not agreeing
with either..

that means the thermal is in the middle..

BT

Old July 13th 04, 06:29 PM
Shawn

I have been wanting to post this experience. I hope it's ok to hijack
this thread since the winds were in fact 180 degrees different on each
end of a 4000' runway.

My own Cessna 206 has been out of commission for about six weeks due
to top overhaul and long annual. I got tired of not flying so I went
out with my old instructor in his 172. After 2 landings he told me to
let him get out and go fly by myself a while. How quickly I forget how
awesome it is to fly!

Anyway, the winds were relatively light (10 knots) and the afternoon
was hot. On my last (4th) solo landing I had an experience I have not
seen before. After touchdown the plane started weather veining into
the wind. Aileron up deflection on the upwind side (into the wind)
didn't help (and thinking about it, I don't think aileron would assist
in a weather-veining situation). I applied full opposite rudder and
that wasn't enough. I actually had to apply light braking on the
opposite rudder to get straightened back out.

I have looked through the archives and not seen much discussion on
weather-veining tendencies or techniques. I guess since my 206 is a
lot heavier perhaps I have gotten a bit out of practice.

Was my brake response correct? It was all I could think of. I was a
bit high on final so applied full 40 degrees flaps, perhaps that
additional drag added to the cause?
Old July 13th 04, 08:09 PM
Maule Driver

"Shawn" Anyway, the winds were relatively
light (10 knots) and the afternoon
was hot. On my last (4th) solo landing I had an experience I have not
seen before. After touchdown the plane started weather veining into
the wind. Aileron up deflection on the upwind side (into the wind)
didn't help (and thinking about it, I don't think aileron would assist
in a weather-veining situation). I applied full opposite rudder and
that wasn't enough. I actually had to apply light braking on the
opposite rudder to get straightened back out.

What you did is SOP on most taildraggers. A nosewheel hides most
weathervaning tendencies with a little side loading of the tires and perhaps
a bit of scrubbed rubber.

I have looked through the archives and not seen much discussion on
weather-veining tendencies or techniques. I guess since my 206 is a
lot heavier perhaps I have gotten a bit out of practice.

yep.

Was my brake response correct? It was all I could think of. I was a
bit high on final so applied full 40 degrees flaps, perhaps that
additional drag added to the cause?

If there is a xwind, there is a weathervaning force. You can first make
sure the rubber is firmly in contact with the ground, correct with rudder,
add brakes if needed. Power or speed will give you more rudder authority.
Whatever is required.

A heavier a/c hides the effect at lower wind speeds. A nosewheel hides it
too. A tailwheel exposes it all for you to deal with. Get a little light
taildragger taxi time in a 10-15knot wind for a review. 25 knots for an
exam.

Old July 14th 04, 06:26 AM
John Smith

A vein carries blood. A weather vane indicates wind direction.

Old July 14th 04, 04:44 PM
Maule Driver

I'm thinking the adverse yaw would only work with downwind ailerons.

"Dale" wrote in message news:me- Aileron up deflection
on the upwind side (into the wind)
didn't help (and thinking about it, I don't think aileron would assist
in a weather-veining situation). I applied full opposite rudder and
that wasn't enough. I actually had to apply light braking on the
opposite rudder to get straightened back out.

Aileron will help somewhat to counter the weather vane....adverse yaw.

Very long XC Story SFM Instrument Flight Rules 2 October 27th 04 03:08 PM
SWRFI Pirep.. (long) Dave S Home Built 20 May 21st 04 03:02 PM
SWRFI Pirep.. (long) Dave S Piloting 19 May 21st 04 03:02 PM
My First Time In Severe Turbulence (Long) David B. Cole Instrument Flight Rules 6 March 10th 04 11:21 PM
IFR Long X/C and the Specter of Expectations David B. Cole Instrument Flight Rules 0 February 24th 04 08:51 PM