Narrow Runways

Old May 11th 05, 05:21 PM
nrp

There was a writeup a few weeks ago on the retired South African
Airways 747 that was flown to its museum airfield & landed on a 50'
wide asphalt strip, down and stopped in 2300 ft. There was about 3 ft
edge distance for the 747 gear. It was an incredible piece of
airmanship.

I can't find the url for anything on it though. Did anyone else save
it?

Old May 11th 05, 06:09 PM
Dave Butler

Maule Driver wrote:
...And Causey aviation operates Citations in and out of there all day and
night.

I wish I had a Mooney, but since I have a Maule I have to go 3 miles east
over to N61's turf to get the juices flowing. Hard to find even with a GPS,
just try a low approach.

I have a hard enought time finding Causey :-)
Old May 11th 05, 06:29 PM
Markus Voget

"nrp" wrote:

There was a writeup a few weeks ago on the retired South African
Airways 747 that was flown to its museum airfield & landed on a 50'
wide asphalt strip, down and stopped in 2300 ft. There was about 3 ft
edge distance for the 747 gear. It was an incredible piece of
airmanship.

Indeed!
http://www.skypark.org/747Landing.htm

Greetings,
Markus

Old May 11th 05, 08:01 PM
ORVAL FAIRBAIRN

In article ,
"Kyle Boatright" wrote:

What's the narrowest runway you've ever used? At what runway width are you
comfortable? Among other things, I had an interesting experience yesterday
with a runway that was far narrower than any I'd used before...

When I lived in CA, I based at Frazier Lake for several years. Normally,
you use the 150'x2500' grass runway, but in the winter the grass is too
soggy, so we used the paved taxiway. That was approximately 20'-25' wide
and 2500' long. It got really sporting in a crosswind, so you really had
to keep on centerline.

Smith Ranch, in Marin County, was another narrow strip.

Old May 11th 05, 09:09 PM
John Galban

Kyle Boatright wrote:
What's the narrowest runway you've ever used? At what runway width

are you
comfortable?

I think the narrowest one I've used was Manley Hot Springs (PAML) in
the Alaskan interior. It was listed at 30 ft. wide in the book (which
happens to match the wingspan of my Cherokee). While I was flaring, I
noticed that there was pretty much just one place for me to put the
wheels on the relatively smooth dirt and gravel. The vegetation had
grown in from both sides, making the runway much narrower than 30 ft.
After landing, I saw that I only had a few feet of runway showing on
the outside of either wheel pant. Curiosity got the best of me, so I
measured the width of the strip. It was 20 ft. Fortunately, the
vegetation that grew at the edge of the strip was low, so I didn't have
to worry about dinging the wings. I'd hate to have to land there with
a serious crosswind.

John Galban=====N4BQ (PA28-180)

Old May 11th 05, 09:14 PM
Ben Jackson

On 2005-05-11, Kyle Boatright wrote:
What's the narrowest runway you've ever used? At what runway width are you
comfortable?

The narrowest was at Woodland State (W27) which is 1965x25, in a 172
when I had about 14 hours.

I must be comfortable with 2500x48 since that's where my plane is based.
It still freaks me out to land at night (the lights are significantly
wider, maybe 80-100' apart). It makes the runway look short and stubby.
I don't think I've ever used more than the center 20' of the runway
except once when a brake grabbed a little and I swerved. Closest I've
come to groundlooping a tricycle gear plane!

--
Ben Jackson

http://www.ben.com/
Old May 11th 05, 10:08 PM
Chris

"Kyle Boatright" wrote in message
What's the narrowest runway you've ever used? At what runway width are
you comfortable?

Narrowest was the temporary runway at Middleton (C29) at 35'. No problem
with that except I was flying a TR182 for the first time and my fourth
landing on the runway was when I did my Instrument checkride.
http://www.bumblesfolly.com/html/morey_0.html

Old May 11th 05, 11:03 PM
Matt Whiting

Jay Honeck wrote:

I think 35' was the narrowest. My comfort level depends on the wind, etc.
In calm conditions, I'd be comfortable with 10'.

Methinks you exaggerate a tad?

:-)

What's the wheelbase of your plane?

You may have me here. I was thinking about the Skylane I used to own.
I think it's track was less than 10', but a quick internet search just
now failed to find a site that listed this dimension.

I currently fly a club Arrow and its gear likely is more than 10' wide
as it at least looks a fair bit wider than the Skylane was.

Matt
Old May 11th 05, 11:04 PM
Matt Whiting

Dudley Henriques wrote:

"Kyle Boatright" wrote in message

What's the narrowest runway you've ever used? At what runway width are
you comfortable?

I remember working a Cal Air A9 one sunny day a long time ago and putting it
down on a two lane country road that had telephone poles lined up nicely on
each side. Does that count ? :-)
Dudley Henriques

Depends on the width of the road. :-)

Matt

Narrow Foil Strips for Ground Plane Dennis Mountains Home Built 22 August 29th 04 01:09 AM
Winds on long runways Casey Wilson Piloting 15 July 17th 04 08:35 AM
Cylinder Wrenches for 0-320A Narrow Deck DAVE Home Built 1 December 31st 03 02:45 PM
Extreme Runways JohnMcGrew Piloting 9 October 25th 03 02:57 PM
fs2002 - increase intensity taxiway and runways' lights? Mark Cherry Simulators 0 September 23rd 03 01:08 AM