Which plane for 5 small pax?

Old August 15th 04, 03:52 PM
Mike Noel

Good Thermal day. Wouldn't that make a great hangar flying tale, " Lost my
engine 100 miles from the nearest airport, but managed to work thermals all
the way back home in my Cherokee!"
This might even bring up a serious operational point for emergency
procedures.

--
Regards,
Mike

http://mywebpage.netscape.com/amountainaero/fspic1.html
"Darrel Toepfer" wrote in message
Mike Noel wrote:

It's suprising how many of my pilot friends have a story about
an engine failure followed by a forced landing.

I'd be more surprised with those that managed to continue flight, after
an engine failure...

Old August 15th 04, 10:58 PM
Paul Sengupta

"Mike Noel" wrote in message
Good Thermal day. Wouldn't that make a great hangar flying tale, " Lost

my
engine 100 miles from the nearest airport, but managed to work thermals

all
the way back home in my Cherokee!"
This might even bring up a serious operational point for emergency
procedures.

Had to do it once, not with an engine failure, but with the carb
heat stuck on (cable broke) when carrying out a practise
forced landing. With full power and 2 notches of flap
(Cherokee 140) we had a 200fpm descent...at low altitude
on final for a field when power was applied to climb out.

Easing the flaps up got us low over the trees but only level.
I got into a thermal and spiralled upwards to get enough
height to transit back to the airport.

This was in Florida when it was hot.

Paul

Old August 16th 04, 03:18 AM
Mike Rapoport

Engine failures are not rare with piston aircraft engines. I know a pilot
with 16 failures in Beach 18s alone and I read somewhere that about 10% of
Malibus have had partial or total engine failures.

Mike
MU-2

"Thomas Borchert" wrote in message
Mike,

It's suprising how many of my pilot
friends have a story about an engine failure followed by a forced

landing.

Hmm, than you must have a statistically highly unlikely combination of
friends. Engine failures are EXTREMELY rare events and even rarer as the
cause of fatal accidents.

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old August 16th 04, 03:27 AM
Javier Henderson

"Mike Rapoport" writes:

Engine failures are not rare with piston aircraft engines. I know a pilot
with 16 failures in Beach 18s alone and I read somewhere that about 10% of
Malibus have had partial or total engine failures.

Neat. But as far as your average spam can with O320-O360-O470 engines,
are engine failures really all that common?

We all know someone who had that happen, but I bet we all know a whole
lot more of someones who never had that happen.

Just a guess though.

-jav
Old August 16th 04, 07:41 AM
Thomas Borchert

Mike,

Sentences starting with

I know a pilot

rarely follow up with valid statistics. And the statistics say it's a
minor occurence across all of piston GA.

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old August 16th 04, 05:50 PM
Roger Halstead

On Mon, 16 Aug 2004 08:41:36 +0200, Thomas Borchert
wrote:

Mike,

Sentences starting with

I know a pilot

rarely follow up with valid statistics. And the statistics say it's a
minor occurence across all of piston GA.

And the stats are highly unreliable.
How many of this type in incident go unreported? If nothing happens
it doesn't even require reporting.

I had the diaphragm fail on the fuel distribution block on top of the
engine. Unfortunately I was somewhere between 30 and 50 feet climbing
at 100 MPH. The engine quit dead. I landed, coasted off the runway,
and had it fixed.

BTW, it drove home the point to me at least, all that training paid
off. There was absolutely no stopping to think about what to do. I
know the feel of the plane and my body reacted by lowering the nose to
keep the control pressure the same. I landed without incident and not
even a need to change underwear. I was surprised at how little runway
it took to climb to that altitude at that speed and land.

It's like using the stats on VFR flight into IMC. How many who survive
are going to admit it. I would expect those stats to be highly skewed
and the problem to be much more frequent than the data shows.

(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com
Old August 17th 04, 04:58 AM
Mike Rapoport

What statistics? There are no statistics on piston engine failures that I
know of. How about: "every pilot I have ever met with over 10,000hrs in
piston airplanes has had at least one engine failure"? It is interesting
that the NTSB does not even require a report if a piston engine fails.

Old August 17th 04, 04:58 AM
Mike Rapoport

I agree that the record is probably better with the less stressed engines.
I guess it depends on one's definition of "common". If it is likely to
occur in a lifetime of flying, say 5000hrs, then I would say that it is not
"rare".

Mike
MU-2

Old August 17th 04, 10:02 PM
Ron Butterfield

Adam Aulick wrote"

What else is out there in the world that I haven't heard of,
without moving up to a six-place plane?

In the kit aircraft world, Velocity have a 5-place model:
http://www.velocityaircraft.com/airmodel.html

Ron Butterfield
Old August 18th 04, 02:42 PM
Model Flyer

"Mike Noel" wrote in message
Good Thermal day. Wouldn't that make a great hangar flying tale, "

Lost my
engine 100 miles from the nearest airport, but managed to work

thermals all
the way back home in my Cherokee!"

Don't think it would work with a cherokee, that's more the relm of a
J3 cub.
--
..
..