Why is Soaring declining

Old April 17th 04, 09:44 PM
Shawn Curry

RHWOODY wrote:
As we all know, the decline has been
happening during several administrations,
your inference that it is related to anything political just shows the lunacy
of your original post.

Um, I thought I agreed with you. Go figure.

Shawn
Old April 17th 04, 10:56 PM
ADP

I find it interesting that almost no one has mentioned what I believe to be
the real problem with soaring.
It is a pain in the butt to go soaring.
Here in the US where most soaring is done at commercial sites vs. clubs,
commercial operations make it almost impossible
for a newcomer to say "I want to take a lesson and learn how to soar". Or,
for that matter, a oldcomer to rent a glider for a time.

Commercial operations in the US are good-old-boy networks. They may be run
by nice folks but good businessmen they are not.
Reserve a glider for 10:00 and arrive at 09:30.

At that time you will find:

1. The glider is out of annual and nobody called.
2. The glider needs to be deiced and won't be ready for 3 hours.
3. The glider crashed just yesterday and nobody called.
4. The tow plane is down.
5. The tow plane pilot is late/won't be here today.
6. The tow plane needs to be refueled so can you wait an hour or two?
7. We have to use the glider for a ride, you don't mind do you?
8. Oh were you on the schedule for today?
9. Sorry you can't go right away .... (fill in your reason here.)

We retired folk can put up with it, though we may not like it. The younger
person with job, family and other obligations runs on a tight
schedule. Get put off once or twice when you still have to take the kids to
a soccer game ar mow the lawn on one of your two days
off and you are not likely to go back.

Frankly, despite the good social environment, waiting for 3 hours to fly for
1 just isn't worth my time.

The solution:
1. Join a club.
2. Buy your own glider.
3. Buy a motor glider.

I doubt that the business climate and those associated with it will ever
change. Without such change we will see a further decline in soaring
and those entering it.

Allan

Old April 17th 04, 11:35 PM
Vorsanger1

Allan

I do not know where you had the negative experiences which you described. At
the commercial operation where I am a part-time instructor (Great Western,
Pearblossom, CA) the welcome is always warm and if you have scheduled a flight
-- instruction or not -- the plane will be ready. Same for the two other
commercial operators in the same geographical area.

Cheers, Charles
Old April 18th 04, 01:19 AM
ADP

Well Charles,

Multiple sites in CA, sites in NV, AZ, Fl and HI.
I am not saying that the welcome was not warm - it was in every case.
I'm just saying I would like a little on-time with my warm fuzzies.

If my 10 or so sites are not representative, then my luck must be colossally
bad.

Allan

Old April 18th 04, 02:50 AM
John H. Campbell

Yeah - right - just like it "rebounded
during Clinton's administration"

actually, it did, at least as far as the youth particpation goes:

YEAR SSA Youth members* Fraction of SSA membership**
1993 362 2.6%
1994 364 2.7%
1995 365 2.8%
1996 377 3.0%
1997 482 3.8%
1998 542 4.2%
1999 550 4.3%
2000 660 5.2%

*formerly called "Student" members. Age 22 and under, does not include
Family member youth.
** (Youth members)/(Life + Full + Family + Youth members)

John H. Campbell
SSA Youth Committee

Old April 18th 04, 03:45 AM
Jim Buckridge

(Jim Buckridge) wrote:

Why is soaring declining? That's an easy one. Because of Bush.

It was a joke, folks.
Old April 18th 04, 06:51 AM
Lennie the Lurker

Martin Gregorie wrote in message . ..

That's pretty sad. Where I fly the private gliders range from a really
nice Ka-6 and a couple of Capstans (British wooden side-by-side two
seater) up to new Duos and ASH-25s via a whole stack of Pegases,
Mosquitos, ASW-20s and Discii, but I've never heard those sorts of
remarks made and wouldn't dream of making them.

In 2 1/2 years, I heard at least one of them every day I went to the
airport. How long was I supposed to put up with it before I chucked
the whole damn thing in the trash? Every good day ruined by one
egotistic ass, and I'm supposed to think it's fun? As I've said, not
everyone, only enough of a minority to spoil the whole experience.
"Come on out and get your daily downer." Sorry, someone else can have
it.

At least a few have finally seen that I'm not aiming at specific
individuals, save for finley, and can see the points that I think are
hurting. Maybe I'm more sensitive towards certain behaviors than most
others, and I know that outside of the metalworking profession, I
don't fit in well. However, I've never said otherwise either. From
being an outsider, to an insider, and back to an outsider, I don't
think I'll rock my own boat again.

And I don't think I'm the only one.
Old April 18th 04, 04:15 PM
Don Johnstone

I agree with much of what you say Lennie but the reality
is that the eogotists and the competion pilots are
just as important to the sport as the people who fly
the club hack. I know it is different over here in
the UK where we have very few commercial clubs but
everyone has a contibution to make. Without the egotists
with more money than brains and the competition pilots
trying to keep up with the Jones's (UK joke) the second
hand glider market would die, how else, apart from
their cast offs would I be able to buy a glider which
won four world championships.
It is the balance that maybe wrong and if people feel
disillusioned with something they will stop doing it,
how to stop them getting that way is the rub. I don't
have an answer for that but knocking any particular
faction within soaring won't do do anything to make
the disillusioned any happier. I do know that the more
new gliders bought by those that can afford it will
mean more gliders for those of us who cannot afford
the latest kit.

At 07:36 18 April 2004, Lennie The Lurker wrote:
'Ian Johnston' wrote in message news:...
On Fri, 16 Apr 2004 16:55:45 UTC,
(Lennie
the Lurker) wrote:

: What part of 'This is as much as I'm willing to
spend' do you
: have a problem understanding? 'You will soon get
tired of it and want
: something better.'

Martin seems to be talking about buying a second hand
glass glider and
keeping it for ten years, so I don't think he can
be accused of the
snobbery which undeniably exists...

And I wasn't addressing Martin, sorry if it sounded
like it, but taken
as a general dialogue with others as it had happened.
More like a
sarcastic statement that I wish I had more than just
thought. I doubt
that any at the local field saw it coming, I don't
show anything
bothering me until I explode, then I destroy everything
in sight. And
I know, (Sorry, Judy) that there were many times that
I belonged in my
truck headed for home, not in the cockpit behind the
Pawnee.
Needless to say, on those days I did not fly well.

The number of new people is probably controlled by
outside forces, but
retaining them is controlled from within. there is
no 'magic bullet'
that will cure it, it's going to take a lot of bullets
from individual
effort.