Securing glider trailers in shipping containers

Old August 12th 14, 12:53 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
2G

Default Securing glider trailers in shipping containers

I have sold my glider to someone in South America. While I am not responsible for shipping, I do want the new owner to receive the glider in the same condition that it leaves the US. To that end, I am interested in hearing how others have secured trailers in shipping containers; what works and what doesn't. One unusual wrinkle: the trailer will have its running gear removed to avoid the appearance that it is a vehicle!

Thanks!
Tom
Old August 12th 14, 01:01 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Frank Whiteley

On Monday, August 11, 2014 5:53:31 PM UTC-6, 2G wrote:
I have sold my glider to someone in South America. While I am not responsible for shipping, I do want the new owner to receive the glider in the same condition that it leaves the US. To that end, I am interested in hearing how others have secured trailers in shipping containers; what works and what doesn't. One unusual wrinkle: the trailer will have its running gear removed to avoid the appearance that it is a vehicle!

Thanks!

Tom

We shipped a glider to South America without a trailer. It required professional packing and bracing to be insured. I suspect securing your 'shipping container' will require professional help. Packing and bracing the L-23 we shipped cost the buyer $500 and it arrived as it left. Securing your project would probably be considerably less.

Frank Whiteley
Old August 12th 14, 05:17 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Frank Whiteley

On Monday, August 11, 2014 6:40:02 PM UTC-6, son_of_flubber wrote:
On Monday, August 11, 2014 7:53:31 PM UTC-4, 2G wrote:

One unusual wrinkle: the trailer will have its running gear removed to avoid the appearance that it is a vehicle!

Sounds like a harsh jostling for the glider unless you add some energy absorbing device under the trailer. Just a crazy idea, but maybe put a few used inner spring mattresses under the bed of the trailer and tie it down with shock cord. http://www.amazon.com/T-W-Evans-Cord...ds=bungee+cord

I've seen pictures of one Argentinian consignment. Two insurance salvage sailplanes tucked amid some used mattresses and a derigged taildragger strapped down.

The question is whether you want insurance in excess of the normal $0.50/lb carriage coverage. IIRC, we insured the L-23 for something in excess of $35,000.

Frank Whiteley
Old August 12th 14, 05:30 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mark628CA

Bob Carlton and I ship the Jet Salto to Australia every two years for the Avalon Airshow near Melbourne. We always use the services of a professional shipping and packing company who help us block and brace the trailer with many webbing straps, fixed chocks at each wheel, an axle support that will hold the trailer up in case a tire loses pressure and a rigid support around the front jack.

In eight round trips from LA to Oz and back, we haven't had any problems, but we are super careful to overdo all attachments. We use two independent straps at all points, tongue, front corners, rear corners, axle (fore and aft attachments), side to side and any other points we feel like tying down. Note that we have also installed extra tiedown points to the chassis.

Remember that longshoremen and others of the transportation breed take a big metal box that looks just like the hundred thousand others out there and treat it like, well, I don't even want to know how they treat it, but if the Teamsters are any example, my advice is to insure the hell out of it just in case.

Also, container ships have regular mishaps in rough seas and containers are lost far more often than you would think. if possible, try to specify (and be willing to pay extra) for "center loading," on the theory that outer containers will be washed overboard before yours. I know of one glider and container that "sleep with the fishes" and were not insured. Not funny at all..

As far as removing the running gear, you are delving into an area that might be a real problem trying to load a long skinny box into another long skinny box. The shipping companies at both ends of the trip may elect to just push the thing in and drag it out with a forklift, and I have never seen a glider trailer that will withstand that treatment without substantial damage.. And without accessible tiedown points, the shippers may have no choice but to just run straps over the top and crank them down- likely crushing the top. I would rather deal with paperwork and customs stuff than possibly have a trashed trailer unloaded at the other end.
Old August 12th 14, 10:25 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Tuesday, August 12, 2014 1:53:31 AM UTC+2, 2G wrote:
I have sold my glider to someone in South America. While I am not responsible for shipping, I do want the new owner to receive the glider in the same condition that it leaves the US. To that end, I am interested in hearing how others have secured trailers in shipping containers; what works and what doesn't. One unusual wrinkle: the trailer will have its running gear removed to avoid the appearance that it is a vehicle!

Thanks!

Tom

I thought I secured my trailer properly for Poland to Australia with a locked brake (4 wheel trailer so it doesn't turn easily anyway) and large straps around the axle and towbar to tiedowns (done by professionals). When I picked it up from the docks in Brisbane all the straps had snapped/unravelled.. Fortunately, no real damage, just a bit of scuffing on the corners of the trailer.

I don't know what kind of forces there are on a voyage like that (the ship did go near a hurricane), but they're much larger than I expected.
Old August 12th 14, 11:45 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
GC[_2_]

On 12/08/2014 09:53, 2G wrote:
I have sold my glider to someone in South America. While I am not
responsible for shipping, I do want the new owner to receive the
glider in the same condition that it leaves the US. To that end, I am
interested in hearing how others have secured trailers in shipping
containers; what works and what doesn't. One unusual wrinkle: the
trailer will have its running gear removed to avoid the appearance
that it is a vehicle!

Thanks! Tom

In the 70s, before the days of 40' containers, PIK-20 gliders arrived in
Australia in nearly cylindrical fibreglass "shipping containers". Our
import regulations for vehicles then were similar to South America's
current rules apparently. After delivery, the addition of towbars,
wheels and lights turned them into quite good trailers without the
customs duties involved in importing a vehicle.

I've been involved in the importation of 6 gliders to/from Europe and
the US, both new and used and I've seen how they've been packed.
Schleichers use supports at each corner welded from 2" x 2" angle iron
bolted to the floor. The advice from
is absolutely the best. Note everything he said. Especially (1) the
bit about not removing the wheels if at all possible and (2) insuring it
to the eyeballs.

GC
Old August 12th 14, 02:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mark628CA

I totally DISAGREE with S_O_F about putting your glider on springy supports and lashing it down with shock cords. Allowing ANY movement will result in a glider "shaken, not stirred" on a long bouncy trip. With the rocking and rolling on the high seas. I am sure that the glider would puke if it could!

When I strap into my glider, I pull the belts TIGHT for a reason!

And I have heard of containers delivered upside down. But I doubt any glider would survive that no matter what you do. The treatment containers receive from transporters and shippers is brutal. You might consider including a few commercial shippers' accelerometer labels and devices to determine just how rough the trip was.

One thing I forgot to add is to make sure the glider itself is well secured inside the trailer. Bob and I add extra supports, padding and restraints inside, lest the trailer just serve as a box to keep the miscellaneous shards in one place for ease of transport.
Old August 12th 14, 06:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS

You've obviously never loaded a container before, "son"....

My suggestion:
Weld a pyramid-shaped steel support with a tow ball on top to support the tongue without the weight being on the jockey wheel.
Buy three minimum 2" wide ratchet straps with hooks on the ends, or long thread-through 2" ratchet straps with no hooks.
If the trailer does not have tiedown points at the tail that the webbing will thread through, get/install hardware to allow that.
Back the trailer in, aligning best you can with the hard points in the container.
Chock the wheels with nailed-in 2x4s or greater, 2-high works well (4"/100mm high).
Put the tongue on the pyramid stand. Chock the stand with nailed-in 2x4s.
Run the three ratchet straps across: Tongue, axle (careful around brake lines) and tiedown points on the tail, to the hard points at the bottom of the container wall.
Thoroughly tighten the ratchet straps. Tighten them again.
Barring the not-so-unusual "oops, I dropped the container", you should find the load looks the same at the other end.
Don't pay for additional insurance. They're really good at "that didn't happen on my watch".
Jim

Old August 12th 14, 09:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
son_of_flubber

On Tuesday, August 12, 2014 1:15:07 PM UTC-4, JS wrote:
You've obviously never loaded a container before, "son"....

My suggestion:

Did you overlook 2G's plan to remove the suspension and tires?
Old August 12th 14, 09:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mark628CA

JS has some good suggestions. We still prefer to go with a few more straps, especially to counter fore/aft movement, but his suggestion to use 2" wide straps definitely has merit. Forget the cheap, cotton 1" ratchet type from discount stores unless you intend to use three or four at EACH tiedown point. And don't even consider the pull-until-tight straps. Ratchet tightening is the ONLY way to go.

As far as insurance, I still think it is necessary, and to counter the "didn't happen on my watch" argument, take lots of digital photos of the block and brace process, as well as the finished load. And take another of the container being closed and sealed. Try to include the loadmaster in some of the photos.

The company we use takes photos of all loads they pack and keeps them on file. It is in their best interest (and yours) to also do so. Try to establish a good working relationship with the company and its workers. We use the same people over and over, and believe it or not, they remember us each time we show up. Even if we only do this once every two years. A discreet gratuity is also gratefully accepted by the guys doing the hard work.

Finally, when the shipment arrives, have the receiver ready to take more digital photos immediately on opening the container and compare them to the loading photos you presumably forwarded to them.

Best of luck!

Mark Mocho