When is too many at a glider meet

Old July 14th 15, 02:14 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andy Blackburn[_3_]

Default When is too many at a glider meet

On Monday, July 13, 2015 at 12:46:46 PM UTC-7, 2G wrote:

Tom,

I'm trying to help you out here, but it's gotten down to a level of hair-splitting that is really not very productive (I'm reminded of the famous "it depends on what your definition of the word 'is' is"). Name-calling aside, the basic problem people had is that there was an assertion made as to the number of gliders at an event and the likely implications of that number. Both assertions were wrong - both in concept and in fact - and the tone was inflammatory.

First, the number was wrong. You represented the number then set aside your own responsibility for spreading bad info - even though the correct info was readily available in writing. That's your bad. If you'd just accepted the correction you'd have been fine, but you felt compelled to follow up with the "feel good" post which really came across as condescending and sour grapes.

Second, most people saw the use of the phrase "until there is a fatality" as an assertion of the likely outcome (why else would you write it?) - in my book that's a form of prediction and most everyone else saw it the same way. That's really inflammatory and accusatory in tone.

Third, you now have explained that you made a connection between bad outcomes at a Nationals 31 years ago and an XC event - based on the absolute number of gliders flying - but with little knowledge of the operations or the circumstances that might actually lead to some sort of bad outcome at Nephi. It's still not clear what specific risk scenario you were referring to, but several candidates have been alluded to (and some subsequently disavowed).. You initially referred to "chaos" resulting from bad weather and the fleet returning to the field - that sounds a lot like a relight/landing space concern, which was addressed. You later raised a concern about enroute collision potential (you paraphrased my comment on the subject), but the Flarm-mandatory provision of the event makes a dramatic difference here as well as when thermalling in the initial climb out, which I believe you raised in some post about launching into "small space".

The simple fact of the matter (and as has been demonstrated at countless glider events before and after the Ephrata Nationals), there is no single absolute number of gliders that represents an upper limit for safe operations across all locations under all conditions - it varies by side and due to different operational circumstances. Asserting a number for Nephi with little or no operational knowledge of the event really comes across as unreasonable.

Fourth, (this is the olive branch part) I don't think anyone has a problem with asking a question about the operations of an event and safety. It's good and healthy to discuss specifics of safety and safe operational practices. If you want to get down to real risk scenarios you get into a set of questions that need to be evaluated for a specific site, for the equipment being used (especially towplanes), for each phase of flight, in combination with all sorts of weather and other risk factors and with consideration for operational procedures that are designed to mitigate the risk. People want to fly at these great locations and we want to accommodate them within the bounds of safety and in ways that are economically reasonable for organizers.. That takes a careful assessment of the risk scenarios, not broad generalizations.

The problem people had with your post is not with whether organizers and participants should do the work to figure the risks out - we all want these things to be thought through in detail. The problem was the implication in your post that the Nephi guys hadn't done their homework or were ignoring good sense and that bad things were likely ("bad feeling") to happen as a result. It was pretty insulting and condescending in tone and as it turns out, wrong on the facts - both the numbers and in terms of being able to point to any specific risk that had not been considered and addressed. Your "bad feeling" was unfounded - both in terms of actual outcomes and in terms of any discernible operational issues related to having 60-plus gliders fly at Nephi. Yet you persisted, without reference to a consistent set of specific concerns. "Too many gliders" is not a specific concern. It is vague and unactionable operationally.

Honestly, you could have put it in much more constructive and less inflammatory terms - in the form of an actual question and some disclaimer that you didn't really know what operational steps had been taken to handle the capacity. You could have also been a lot more thoughtful in terms of handling the responses that made good-faith attempts to address your "bad feeling" - rather than dismiss them out of hand as "feel good" comments.

It's not an attempt to vilify you personally (the name-calling part is always a bit unfortunate), it's a response to the tone and content of what you wrote - initially and in follow-up.

That's all the energy I can put into this one. I've tried to be constructive and specific and not make it personal, despite some frustration.

All the best to anyone with the patience to read through all of this.

Andy
9B
Old July 14th 15, 02:53 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mark628CA

OK- As an attempt to lighten up this thread:

I want a meet where I have four tow planes (with at least three functional), three wind dummies (hang gliding terminology- we call 'em "sniffers" in Soaring), and I would appreciate it if one of the sniffers was a 1-26 so I could be sure SOMEONE could stay up and I would have a reasonable chance of beating him on miles flown. But his OLC handicap (350 points for putting the wings on and launching) might put me in second or third place JUST BECAUSE!

Come on guys, this has been beaten flat. Let it go. If you think there are too many gliders to be safe, DON'T GO! If you do, DON'T LAUNCH!

As I saw on a cool T-shirt, "Fly More. Bitch Less"
Old July 16th 15, 03:19 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
2G

Andy,
The 80 figure was given to me in good faith, and I repeated it as such. Could I have verified this number from a 2nd source? Sure, but the actual number isn't the crux of the matter. Would you feel any different about the Nephi operation if the number WAS 80? I doubt it. Are my concerns alleviated if I knew the actual number was 65? No. Anyway, we all agree the true number is 65. So let's JUST MOVE ON - this is beating a dead horse.

Bruce raised an interesting question: is a meet of 20 gliders inherently dangerous. The only meet that has no risk of a glider-glider mid-air is a meet of one. Raise it to two and now the risk is non-zero. Sound ridiculous? Hardly, two gliders flying out of Arlington, WA, had a mid-air resulting in one fatality. So as the number of gliders flying in the same airspace increases, so does the risk of a mid-air. That is just common sense that, I think, we can all agree on. The point of contention is that risk acceptable or not. That gets down to a judgment issue. Some people think that just because nothing bad happened there was no, or little, risk. That is just, simply, not true.

Bruce inspired me to do a little research. In my former life as a research engineer I always put a lot of effort into getting as much information on a particular subject before trying fashion a solution. So I started gathering data on glider-glider mid-airs (there are also a few glider-power mid-airs, but this is a different problem). Part of the problem of gathering this data is it is a bit tedious. The FAA ASRS database found no such incidents, so it is of no help whatsoever. The NTSB accident database is very limited in finding such incidents because a mid-air is not a searchable criteria. You basically have to look at EVERY reported accident involving gliders. I did, however, find some glider mid-airs by going thru the fatal glider accidents (I quit after 2007 due to lack of time). I found more such incidents by doing a Google search ("glider mid-air accident"). I came up with 13 glider-glider mid-airs (remember, this is not an exhaustive search) What was glaring about what I found was a disproportionate number of mid-airs involving contest flying; 11 of the 13. Contests represent perhaps 5% of total glider hours flown, yet a majority of mid-airs occur during contests. The World gliding contest is particularly bad (5 out of 13). If you calculate the number of mid-airs per 100,000 hours flown contest flying dwarfs other types of events on a risk-based assessment.

I also went to the Soaring Safety Foundation for guidance. I was stunned to find that the SSF has NO database whatsoever. This is a glaring deficiency on their part. I propose that the SSF create a database of ALL glider accidents that is searchable by all phases of glider flying. The Albuquerque Soaring Club did an excellent analysis of glider accidents in New Mexico (http://www..abqsoaring.org/misc_file...Accidents.doc). This level of analysis needs to be done on a national basis.

I feel strongly about safety and do not apologize for it. If I can prevent a SINGLE accident, fatal or otherwise, by my actions it is WORTH IT for the abuse I have taken here (and make no mistake: some people here have been extraordinary abusive, but I don't give a damn).

Best regards,
Tom
Old July 16th 15, 03:27 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Kuykendall

Are we there yet?
Old July 16th 15, 09:03 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Justin Craig[_3_]

But actually you are achieving nothing other than alienating yourself from
your peers.

There is a risk with everything in life, and that is part of what makes it
fun.

Reading other posts on this thread its sounds like the organization of this
meet put on a very well run event, and in doing so mitigate a large portion
of that risk.....but not enough to stop it being darn good fun.

Out of interest...whats your stance on racing finishes?

=
one fatality. So as the number of gliders flying in the same airspace
incre=
ases, so does the risk of a mid-air. That is just common sense that, I
thin=
k, we can all agree on. The point of contention is that risk acceptable

or
=
not. That gets down to a judgment issue. Some people think that just
becaus=
e nothing bad happened there was no, or little, risk. That is just,
simply,=
not true.=20

[...]

(www=
..abqsoaring.org/misc_files/NM_Glider_Accidents.doc). This level of

Old July 17th 15, 08:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

This thread was a lot more fun than that boring crap such as FLARM config files or ADS-B! To elaborate on one poster's comment, it really was like schoolboys calling each other names and older kids or teachers trying to maintain order. Life can be boring. This was entertaining.

I have no idea what number of gliders is safe/unsafe at a given site. I flew a Nationals (Bryan, OH 1976) where we launched 52 from a single hardsurface runway into skies where cloudbase seldom exceeded 4,000 AGL. Relights and finishes were frequent, closely spaced, and involved landings where there were at times four pilots landing in trail and four more in the pattern behind them. The radio-equipped ground controller knew his stuff and the pilots paid CLOSE attention and were responsible. The only incident that I recall was when an early LS-1F had the gear fold up on landing in the grass alongside the runway, which made that alternative even less attractive as the contest went on.

A few years later we had 58 pilots at Adrian, MI in a somewhat larger but still constrained venue. There was a midair at that contest but not because of the congestion. It's going to sound a bit mean but hopefully enough time has passed that I can be excused for saying it involved two guys who surprised no one when they collided (no injuries). There was another glider at that same contest who, fortunately, was brightly colored and so could be easily distinguised and avoided by leaving whatever thermal he entered.

My point is that the number of contestants isn't nearly so important to safety as the way they fly. There are always a few guys who scare everyone else. In an Eastern contest with low bases and weak lift, you're often forced into close proximity with them, hopefully not excessively close. I don't care whether it's 10 gliders or 80, if these guys enter, the risk goes up for everyone.

Experience is important, of course, but attitude counts much more. Often these pilots collect a number of complaints in the safety box and are cautioned by the organizers. Some take it well; others are defensive. More often than not, it seems they don't really see their behavior the way everyone else does and therefore feel no need to change. Yes, there's a parallel with this thread.

With good organization and high-caliber pilots, I'm more concerned about not getting hit by one of the aerial Rambos who's on the short list of see-and-avoid offenders kept by me and nearly everyone else. A nice FLARM refinement would be to use a different algorithm to warn other pilots whenever one of them is nearby.

Chip Bearden
ASW 24 "JB"
U.S.A.
Old July 17th 15, 09:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
ND

On Wednesday, July 15, 2015 at 10:27:17 PM UTC-4, Bob Kuykendall wrote:
Are we there yet?

i wonder if anyone knows what SMFH stands for...

this picture sums this thread up for me:

http://www.themachinestarts.com/arti...es/redditq.jpg
Old July 17th 15, 09:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jfitch

On Wednesday, July 15, 2015 at 7:19:11 PM UTC-7, 2G wrote:
[...]

I also went to the Soaring Safety Foundation for guidance. I was stunned to find that the SSF has NO database whatsoever. This is a glaring deficiency on their part. I propose that the SSF create a database of ALL glider accidents that is searchable by all phases of glider flying. The Albuquerque Soaring Club did an excellent analysis of glider accidents in New Mexico (http://www.abqsoaring.org/misc_files...Accidents.doc). This level of analysis needs to be done on a national basis.

I feel strongly about safety and do not apologize for it. If I can prevent a SINGLE accident, fatal or otherwise, by my actions it is WORTH IT for the abuse I have taken here (and make no mistake: some people here have been extraordinary abusive, but I don't give a damn).

Best regards,
Tom

If you search the NTSB with type "Glider" and keyword "mid air" 10 come up. Yeah, they are mostly at contests. Yeah, if you fly in crowded airspace you are more likely to hit something. Still, mid air collisions remain a rare event, we hope made rarer still by Flarm.

swap meet ??? Tri-Pacer[_2_] Owning 0 November 10th 08 10:27 PM
swap meet ??? Tri-Pacer[_2_] Home Built 0 November 10th 08 10:27 PM
swap meet ??? Tri-Pacer[_2_] Aviation Marketplace 0 November 10th 08 10:27 PM
Pedophiles to meet at TIW C J Campbell Piloting 5 April 3rd 04 08:06 AM
WWII glider pilots meet in Sicily Otis Willie Military Aviation 0 July 15th 03 03:11 AM