Anyone Add your A&P after getting the PPL?

Old January 16th 04, 09:07 PM
Marco Leon

Default Anyone Add your A&P after getting the PPL?

I was thinking about getting my A&P license to help me become a better
aircraft owner and pilot. I know a number of people out there have both and
I was curious to hear about your story. For example, have you found it
helpful as an owner and/or pilot? Did it take a long time to obtain? What
are the pros and cons? Has it saved your ass at all? Given the same
situation, would you do it again?

Thanks!

Marco

http://www.usenet.com
Old January 16th 04, 10:45 PM
Chuck

"Marco Leon" mleon(at)optonline.net wrote in message
I was thinking about getting my A&P license to help me become a better
aircraft owner and pilot. I know a number of people out there have both

and
I was curious to hear about your story. For example, have you found it
helpful as an owner and/or pilot? Did it take a long time to obtain? What
are the pros and cons? Has it saved your ass at all? Given the same
situation, would you do it again?

I will start off by saying that I am an A&P, but not a PPL, yet.

During my 2 year A&P course at the local college. I would say that out of
the 25 students in my class, probably 8 to 10 of them had their ppl.

Old January 17th 04, 05:31 AM
Michelle P

Marco,
I went back to school to get my A&P long after I got my PPL.
I now earn a living using my A&P for a regional airline. Four of us in
my class ended up working for the same Company. I am working towards
earning a living with my current rating, ATP.
It was a great experience. Three of us in my class were Pilots.
Michelle

--

Michelle P ATP-ASEL, CP-AMEL, and AMT-A&P

"Elisabeth" a Maule M-7-235B (no two are alike)

Volunteer Pilot, Angel Flight Mid-Atlantic

Volunteer Builder, Habitat for Humanity

Old January 17th 04, 05:41 AM
Marco L

Michelle,
Good to hear that you actually make some money doing what you love. How long
was the schooling? I was looking to get the rating to make myself a better
owner/pilot. If getting the rating is time consuming, I may have to pass
given that I have a non-aviation daytime job and a budding family at home.

Has anyone out there been able to get their A&P part time?

Marco

ink.net...

Old January 17th 04, 03:36 PM
dave

I finally got my rating after 10+ years of airplane ownership and 20+
years of being a pilot.
I satisified the experience part by working on my planes and a few
others and having multiple IA's vouching for me.
If your planning on getting your A&P or even doing your own work on your
plane, get the 43.13 manual.
Get the paper (hardcopy) version!!!
You'll learn so much on how to do things correctly and not by heresay.

It sure helps if you need repairs while your away from home. Your more
likely to be able to borrow things from other maint shops if your an A&P.

Dave

Old January 18th 04, 06:07 AM
Michelle P

Marco,
YOu can either get the rating through experience and then taking the
Oral and Practicals or by attending school and taking the oral and
practical. I chose school. Full TIme for four semesters. Essentially two
years. There are place that you can do it faster, however attendance is
mandatory and you will fail if you miss too much time. There are some
schools that have an evening programs. It is possible to it part time
but you are probably looking at four years to complete.

Michelle

Marco L wrote:

Michelle,
Good to hear that you actually make some money doing what you love. How long
was the schooling? I was looking to get the rating to make myself a better
owner/pilot. If getting the rating is time consuming, I may have to pass
given that I have a non-aviation daytime job and a budding family at home.

Has anyone out there been able to get their A&P part time?

Marco

link.net...

Old January 18th 04, 10:42 PM
Fly

I have my Com/CFII and AP/AI..... and I went to the school of hard knocks!
Get someone to vouch for your experience and study the books yourself. use
the sample question/answer book as a study guide. Study everything you
miss.]

Once you have the license to sign off more than preventive maintenance....
don't be a fool..... get good advise from someone with experience and
judgement!
You're suppose have to have done it before anyway to be able to sign it
off.

Kent Felkins

Old January 20th 04, 03:26 PM
Marco Leon

Thanks. I think I'll take Dave's advice and get the 43.13 manual (hardcopy)
and take it from there. It also looks like I need another IA to sign-off my
experience and not just another A&P. After looking over the manual, I think
I'll have a better sense of the work involved.

Thank you all for your responses.

Marco