Iowa to Washington State?

Old April 23rd 04, 10:21 PM
Jay Honeck

Default Iowa to Washington State?

According to Destination Direct, we are just 10.5 hours away from my sister
in Sequim, WA.

D.D. routes us northwest to Billings, Montana, and then west from there.
The terrain looks very high, indeed.

Can Atlas make the jump? Is it possible for a normally aspirated plane
(and pilots!) to fly over the Rockies? How high must one go?

Thanks in advance...
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old April 23rd 04, 10:25 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message

Is it possible for a normally aspirated plane (and pilots!) to fly
over the Rockies?

The early airmail pilots did it. I'm pretty sure the Rockies aren't
significantly higher now than they were then.

Old April 23rd 04, 11:05 PM
G.R. Patterson III

Jay Honeck wrote:

Can Atlas make the jump? Is it possible for a normally aspirated plane
(and pilots!) to fly over the Rockies?

You've read "Flight of Passage" and have to ask that question?

George Patterson
This marriage is off to a shaky start. The groom just asked the band to
play "Your cheatin' heart", and the bride just requested "Don't come home
a'drinkin' with lovin' on your mind".
Old April 23rd 04, 11:07 PM
Jay Honeck

The early airmail pilots did it. I'm pretty sure the Rockies aren't
significantly higher now than they were then.

True, but with an unacceptably high degree of risk. Their accident and
mortality rates were appalling.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old April 23rd 04, 11:13 PM
Ben Jackson

In article ENfic.12459$w96.1176412@attbi_s54,
Jay Honeck wrote:

D.D. routes us northwest to Billings, Montana, and then west from there.
The terrain looks very high, indeed.

For the northern route I believe the wisdom is to fly I-90. I think
this is the route I copied from someone:

GEG MLP MSO DRU GLUES CPN HIA LVM BIL

I don't think you have to go too far over 10000 to fly that.

--
Ben Jackson

http://www.ben.com/
Old April 23rd 04, 11:14 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message

True, but with an unacceptably high degree of risk. Their accident and
mortality rates were appalling.

Primarily due to weather. Weather reporting, forecasting and instrument
flying capabilities are significantly better today than eight decades ago.

Old April 23rd 04, 11:26 PM
Bob Gardner

I've delivered many a PA-28 to Seattle using the northern route. Not a
biggie, but not a walk in the park either. Use common sense and stay abreast
of the weather. You don't have to fly over the highest peaks, you know.

Bob Gardner

Old April 23rd 04, 11:28 PM
Peter Duniho

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
Can Atlas make the jump? Is it possible for a normally aspirated plane
(and pilots!) to fly over the Rockies? How high must one go?

Should be doable just fine. Things get relatively low around the Cheyenne
area. Following I-80 across the Rockies should be okay.

At around Boise, you'll have to turn northwest and cross some more
mountains, and then once again to get over the Cascades. But all of those
should be no trouble even for a normally-aspirated engine. Make sure you
watch the weather though. Even IFR it can be tricky, and if I recall, you
are still working on your instrument rating?

When I fly Seattle to Fort Collins, CO, the highest IFR MEA along that route
is 13000', but only for a very short segment, and it's a result of the
airway going right over a lone bump. VFR you could easily cross the bump
lower, or just go around if you prefer.

I think it could done following I-90 the whole way too, but not having flown
that route (not farther east than Missoula anyway), I can't say without
looking at a chart I don't have in front of me.

Pete

Old April 23rd 04, 11:34 PM
Jay Honeck

You've read "Flight of Passage" and have to ask that question?

Okay, let me re-phrase this question:

Can I safely take my family in a 235 hp, normally aspirated aircraft from
Iowa to Washington State?

If so, what route do you recommend? Will it require oxygen?
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old April 23rd 04, 11:43 PM
gatt

"Steven P. McNicoll" wrote in message

Is it possible for a normally aspirated plane (and pilots!) to fly
over the Rockies?

I rode as a passenger over the Rockies to Denver in a Warrior when I was a
kid.

-c