Timing light for electronic ignition

Old August 19th 04, 06:38 PM
Ron

Default Timing light for electronic ignition

I plan to install a Light Speed Plasma III electronic ignition on my
Lycoming and the use of an automotive timing light is required. Prices
rang from a few dollars to several hundred. What to do??? Can anyone
recommend a suitable timing light for this task?

Thanks.............Ron Gibbs

Old August 19th 04, 11:38 PM
Morgans

"Ron" wrote in message
I plan to install a Light Speed Plasma III electronic ignition on my
Lycoming and the use of an automotive timing light is required. Prices
rang from a few dollars to several hundred. What to do??? Can anyone
recommend a suitable timing light for this task?

Thanks.............Ron Gibbs

CHEAP! Or even better, rent one from a local auto parts store.
--
Jim in NC

---

Old August 19th 04, 11:57 PM
Sammy

I tried a cheap one when I got my LSE. Didn't work. Not anywhere bright
enough. Aan auto mechanic uses his timing light in the depths of an engine
compartment, with the hood providing shade, in a garage.

I had to to it in the sunlight, out side. The cheap one didn't work a lick.
Wound up spending $60, and it could still be brighter.

Sam

Old August 20th 04, 12:31 AM
Morgans

"Sammy" wrote in message
I tried a cheap one when I got my LSE. Didn't work. Not anywhere bright
enough. Aan auto mechanic uses his timing light in the depths of an

engine
compartment, with the hood providing shade, in a garage.

I had to to it in the sunlight, out side. The cheap one didn't work a

lick.
Wound up spending $60, and it could still be brighter.

Sam

You didn't think outside the box. Around here, it is partially dark,
without being too dark, two times per day. ;-)
--
Jim in NC

---

Old August 20th 04, 05:18 PM
Paul Lee

Maybe you have the Hall effect module that fits into the magneto housing.
I have a dual LSE II but with the direct crank sensor and I simply
use the propeller position to adjust it. Dont think I am more off than
a degree and can easily change it to get optimal performance.

---------------------------------
SQ2000 canard: http://www.abri.com/sq2000

Ron wrote in message . ..
I plan to install a Light Speed Plasma III electronic ignition on my
Lycoming and the use of an automotive timing light is required. Prices
rang from a few dollars to several hundred. What to do??? Can anyone
recommend a suitable timing light for this task?

Thanks.............Ron Gibbs

Would a 3 million Candlepower spotlight make a good landing light? Legrande Harris Home Built 6 June 15th 04 06:32 AM
Hot Spark Ignition Larry Smith Home Built 26 November 19th 03 09:24 PM
Effect of Light Sport on General Aviation Gilan Home Built 17 September 24th 03 06:11 AM
Electronic Ignition Andre Home Built 1 September 5th 03 06:15 PM
2nd update on Review of Plasma II Ignition System MikeremlaP Home Built 8 July 22nd 03 01:37 AM