Mandatory ELT

Old March 5th 05, 10:08 PM

Default Mandatory ELT

With the requirement by the SRA rules committee for mounted FAA
approved ELT's for all SSA contests in 2006 I think it would be
helpfull if those that have them would sha
- Make and Model they have.
- Installation location of unit and antenna.
- Recommendations for those yet to do it.
It would be nice if those of us yet to do it could learn from those
that have done this.

Thanks
Tom
Idaho

Old March 6th 05, 04:24 AM
Tim Mara

since the current and/or in the future, ELT's are NOT required in gliders
by FAR's and the older and current TSO C91 units will still function on into
the future, there is still no need to install 406 units in gliders.not now,
not in 2006......there is simply not outlaw or reason why the current
121.5/243 ELT's will not still be as useful in 2006 as they are today.....
I am not contest flying, but I will have an ELT, a 121.5 unit, installed in
my glider, one that goes off on impact, not simply one I can set off, if I
am still alive and conscious.......just in case...
tim
Please visit the Wings & Wheels website at:
www.wingsandwheels.com

"Eric Greenwell" wrote in message
With the requirement by the SRA rules committee for mounted FAA
approved ELT's for all SSA contests in 2006 I think it would be
helpfull if those that have them would sha
- Make and Model they have.
- Installation location of unit and antenna.
- Recommendations for those yet to do it.
It would be nice if those of us yet to do it could learn from those
that have done this.

I plan to wait until May 2006 to ask this question. That will give the
other pilots plenty of time to investigate the options, and for the latest
equipment to become avaialble. In the meantime, I believe I my C-91 ELT
(not approved for 2006 contest use, unfortunately) will provide most of
the functionality I want.

If the contest requirement is the only reason a pilot has for installing
one, I suggest he also wait. Even if you'd like to have an ELT now, you
might consider waiting until the newest ELTs are on the shelves and people
have some experience with them. They are currently much more expensive,
but provide much better locating ability, and will be actively monitored
after 2009, unlike the C-91a units.

Eric Greenwell
Washington State
USA

Old March 6th 05, 04:42 AM
5Z

Uli,
Are you aware how an ELT is tested? When I get my annual, we remove it
and the A&P just does a firm swing forward and pulls back to verify it
will activate. This is, I'm sure, a lot less force than anything that
might incapacitate the pilot.

If I manage to bail out, and survive, I doubt I'll be more than a mile
from the plane. If the plane is found, I'm sure I will as well.

Given a choice, I'd rather have an ELT that doesn't require me to
activate it. Of course, the best would be to also get a EPIRB for the
parachute harness.

Oh, on my ASH-26E, the ELT is mounted on the cockpit sill just behind
my left elbow. The fuselage is all carbon except for the area above
the baggage compartment, so the whip antenna is mounted internally and
curves around the top. An improvement might be to install a foil type
of antenna in the roof of the baggage compartment.

-Tom

Old March 6th 05, 06:23 AM
Ramy Yanetz

"5Z" wrote in message
oups.com...

Oh, on my ASH-26E, the ELT is mounted on the cockpit sill just behind
my left elbow. The fuselage is all carbon except for the area above
the baggage compartment, so the whip antenna is mounted internally and
curves around the top. An improvement might be to install a foil type
of antenna in the roof of the baggage compartment.

-Tom

Is there a reason not to use a small flexible antenna from a hand held
radio for the 121.5/243Mhz ELTs?

-Ramy

Old March 6th 05, 06:50 AM

Don't buy either of these units (or buy at your own risk): the
manufacturer was fined $75K by the FCC for advertising unapproved
product as "FCC approved". Decree dated Nov 2004.

Old March 7th 05, 02:43 AM
COLIN LAMB

"Is there a reason not to use a small flexible antenna from a hand held
radio for the 121.5/243Mhz ELTs?"

Yes. A small flexible antenna will not radiate as strong a signal. A full
size 1/4 wave antenna is about 24" long. When you are lost and someone is
looking for you, you would like to have a strong of signal as possible.

If you are planning on landing a few miles from the search aircraft, the
rubber duck will be fine.

Colin

Old March 7th 05, 11:02 PM

The legal notice is at:
http://www.fcc.gov/eb/Orders/2004/FCC-04-259A1.html

Here is an excerpt:

I. INTRODUCTION

1. In this Notice of Apparent
Liability for Forfeiture (``NAL''), we find
ACR Electronics, Inc. (``ACR'') apparently
liable for a forfeiture in the amount of
seventy five thousand dollars ($75,000) for
marketing unauthorized equipment in willful
and repeated violation of Section 302(b) of
the Communications Act of 1934 as amended
(``Act''),1 and Section 2.803(a) of the
Commission's Rules (``Rules'').2

II. BACKGROUND

2. In February 2004, the Enforcement
Bureau (``Bureau'') received a complaint
alleging that ACR was marketing through
outdoor and sporting publications and
websites a new personal location beacon
(``PLB''), 406 GPS PLB-200 (``PLB-200''),
under the names ``TerraFix'' for land use,
``AquaFix'' for marine use, and ``AeroFix''
for aviation use, which had not been
authorized by the Commission. In support, the
complainant provided evidence that the PLB-
200 was explicitly being described as ``FCC
approved,'' and marketed to consumers.
Specifically, the complainant submitted a
TerraFix brochure, which stated that the PLB-
200 was ``APPROVED for sale in the U.S,'' and
further provided evidence that at least one
retailer was accepting orders for the PLB-
200. In the latter regard, the complainant
submitted an e-mail order confirmation, dated
February 25, 2004, from Boat U.S. for the
purchase of one ``AquaFix 406 GPS I/O Plb,''
``Item 5321153,'' priced at ``$749.99.''3

Old March 8th 05, 04:01 PM

T o d d P a t t i s t wrote:
wrote:

Don't buy either of these units (or buy at your own risk): the
manufacturer was fined $75K by the FCC for advertising unapproved
product as "FCC approved". Decree dated Nov 2004.

What units?

I will try this post again.

The legal notice is available at:

hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_public/ attachmatch/FCC-04-259A1.pdf

Here is an excerpt:

I=2E INTRODUCTION
1=2EIn this Notice of Apparent Liability for Forfeiture ("NAL"), we
[...]
5321153," priced at "$749.99."33.In response to the complaint,
the Bureau issued a letter of inquiry ("LOI") to ACR on March 29,
2004.4ACR filed a response to the LOI on April 28, 2004,5and
supplemented its response on 147 U.S.C. =A7 302a(b). 247 C.F.R. =A7
2=2E803(a). 3Under "Status," the submitted confirmation order noted
"051504," which appears to represent the delivery date. 4See Letter
from Joseph P. Casey, Chief, Spectrum Enforcement Division, Enforcement
Bureau, Federal Communications Commission to Paul Frank, President, ACR
Electronics, Inc. (March 29, 2004).