Total cross country distance flown

Old November 3rd 05, 11:15 PM
Bill Daniels

Default Total cross country distance flown

The OLC gives the total scored distance flown in the US for the 2005 season
as 1,068,218.12 km (3044 flights). What do you suppose the actual total
distance flown for all flights was in the world? I couldn't find that
number on the OLC web site. Whatever it is, it's sure to be a pretty
staggering number.

Most non-glider pilots are astonished that gliders can go XC at all. Most
sports fans like numbers so I'd think it would be worth at least a footnote
in recruiting efforts.

Bill Daniels

Old November 4th 05, 12:00 AM

Now if only we could exchange those for frequent flyer miles.

Old November 4th 05, 01:14 AM
Bill Daniels

"Asbjorn Hojmark" wrote in message
city.dk...
On Thu, 3 Nov 2005 16:15:52 -0700, "Bill Daniels"
wrote:

The OLC gives the total scored distance flown in the US for the 2005
season as 1,068,218.12 km (3044 flights). What do you suppose the
actual total distance flown for all flights was in the world?

No clue.

The Danish league (Termikligaen) is approx 253000 km (1200 flights,
350 pilots, out of a population of 5M people in a physically small
country).

That's much better on a per-capita basis than the US.

I think I found a total world OLC number for the 2005 season.
Total Scored Daily Distance : 17,384,977.37 km (10,802,524 miles) in 58,803
flights.

Now THAT's an impressive number.

Bill Daniels

Old November 4th 05, 01:17 AM
Dan'l

If you go to 2005, club statistics, then select 1-1177 (or whatever
number of clubs was) you see:

58784 flights
17,374,122.14 km
9024 pilots.

DD

wrote:

The OLC gives the total scored distance flown in the US for the 2005
season as 1,068,218.12 km (3044 flights). What do you suppose the
actual total distance flown for all flights was in the world?

No clue.

The Danish league (Termikligaen) is approx 253000 km (1200 flights,
350 pilots, out of a population of 5M people in a physically small
country).

-A
--
The Usenet Sect -- Resistance is futile. You will assimilate ò-|

Old November 4th 05, 01:19 AM
Ramy

Actually the 2005 total for the US is 1825076.48 km (6192 flights). You
need to select "Statistics - all flights", click on the last button
then scroll to the bottom.
The world total is an amazing 17384977.37 km (58803 flights) - over 17
million km!

Ramy

Old November 4th 05, 01:26 AM

Now, just imagine if the OLC web site didn't reject most of our flights
!
I know, its getting better...
Best Regards, Dave
(whose 15m/18m/sometimes motorized contraption is just too confusing)

Old November 4th 05, 01:55 AM
Bill Daniels

wrote in message
oups.com...
Now, just imagine if the OLC web site didn't reject most of our flights
!
I know, its getting better...
Best Regards, Dave
(whose 15m/18m/sometimes motorized contraption is just too confusing)

That plus the flights that weren't even submitted. I'd speculate that the
actual total was more than 20 million Km flown.

You know, we need to use the OLC in talking about soaring to non pilots.
When you're trying to sell a concept, big, verifiable numbers are effective.

Bill Daniels

Old November 4th 05, 08:37 AM
Stefan

Bill Daniels wrote:

That plus the flights that weren't even submitted. I'd speculate that the
actual total was more than 20 million Km flown.

Much more, I suspect. In our club, 300+ km cross country flights are SOP
and we never submit anything.

You know, we need to use the OLC in talking about soaring to non
pilots. When you're trying to sell a concept, big, verifiable numbers
are effective.

I don't think the OLC is particularly useful for this. Just imagine the
huge total distance which is walked by feet every day worldwide! Much
more impressive to the uninitiated is the distance a single pilot flys
on a sunday. My experience is even that people are most impressed when I
tell them not the distance flown, but where I have been and what I have
seen.

Stefan
Old November 4th 05, 09:35 AM
schogglad

I think both is important.

Big numbers are important to show that gliding is not a niche
thing with only a handful of people doing it - so this shows the
size of the community.

the "i have been here and have seen this" thing is more important
to convey the fascination of our hobby.

Old November 4th 05, 11:53 AM
Denis

Ramy a écrit :
Actually the 2005 total for the US is 1825076.48 km (6192 flights). You
need to select "Statistics - all flights", click on the last button
then scroll to the bottom.
The world total is an amazing 17384977.37 km (58803 flights) - over 17
million km!

During 2 weeks (IGC gliding weeks) it has been 2,511,421 kms and 5,224
flights

FAI - IGC Gliding Weeks / Semaines de vol Ã* voile FAI - IGC

Two �gliding weeks� were held to contribute to the celebration of the FAI
Centenary. The aim of these two-week periods (one northern
http://www.fai.org/centenary/node/22 hemisphere and one southern
http://www.fai.org/centenary/node/21 hemisphere) was to record the total
number of kilometres flown by all glider pilots during the nominated days.
The German OLC website and the French NetCoupe were used to log and record
the flights. The total distance flown was an astounding 2,511,421 kms,
achieved with a massive 5,224 flights. This is equivalent to 62-and-a half
times around the Earth!
Diplomas will be awarded to the best flight in each FAI class.

--
Denis

R. Parce que ça rompt le cours normal de la conversation !!!
Q. Pourquoi ne faut-il pas répondre au-dessus de la question ?