Clear Yaw string tape?

Old April 12th 06, 05:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Clear Yaw string tape?

I have seen a few gliders that had yaw strings attached with something
other than the white tape most of us use. It was either a clear tape
or clear sticker. If any of you use something other than the white
tape to attach your yaw string please share what you use. Thanks!

Old April 12th 06, 06:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Bruno wrote:
I have seen a few gliders that had yaw strings attached with something
other than the white tape most of us use. It was either a clear tape
or clear sticker. If any of you use something other than the white
tape to attach your yaw string please share what you use. Thanks!

Scotch clear packing tape. Cut it into a little triangle (for style
points), stick the yarn on (I prefer green - with a knot at both ends),
and carefully place dead center on canopy, as far back as you can
stand.

Doesn't shrink or leave much residue like white tape. And you can
kinda see through it...

I also it to cover the big horizontal tail attachment opening on my LS6
- one piece fits perfectly.

Kirk
66

Old April 12th 06, 08:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Nyal Williams wrote:
I have seen a glider that had a very small, round hole
for the yaw string drilled in the canopy. The owner
tied knots inside and out, tighly against the hole.

That was probably 35 years ago and I don't remember
what or who. I would not recommend it.

Kinda suck when, after your buddies ask why you fly slow and sideways,
you realize you drilled 1 cm to starboard.

Shawn

Old April 12th 06, 09:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

I saw one stuck on with a drop of clear RTV (silicone rubber). When I
asked about it, the owner said it stuck up into the airflow a bit
better and was a little more responsive. He also commented that he
didn't fix his gaze on it nearly so often as the little triangle of
white tape that he used in the past. I think I'll try that soon, unless
someone tells me that the RTV will damage my plexiglass.

Jack Womack
PIK-20B N77MA (TE)

Old April 12th 06, 09:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Best thing I've found is a special clear tape by 3M used to protect the
leading edges of props. In AZ we use 6" wide lengths of this tape to
shield the undersides of our booms from the glass-eating gravel we land
on. It works great for yaw string attachment -- easy to remove but
doesn't remove itself, leaves no residue, very clear. E-mail me your
snail mail address if you'd like a sample (tuno(at)pobox(dot)com).

~ted/2NO

Old April 12th 06, 09:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Some clear book contact covering cut to shape.

Old April 12th 06, 11:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On 12 Apr 2006 09:57:34 -0700, "Bruno" wrote:

I have seen a few gliders that had yaw strings attached with something
other than the white tape most of us use. It was either a clear tape
or clear sticker. If any of you use something other than the white
tape to attach your yaw string please share what you use. Thanks!

Bear 3M make a an outstanding clear flexible tape currently retailed
as "clear all weather" tape. Comes in a roll approx 2" in width.

A lot dearer than and has a different texture from packaging tape. It
is backed with a strong adhesive which remains with the tape when you
pull the old tape off, and is highly resistant to lifting due weather
or exposure. Once you put it on, it stays there until you deside to
take it off. Good stuff. Highly recommended.
Old April 13th 06, 02:47 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Hi,

I sell clear (or at least translucent) "wing tape" he
http://www.cumulus-soaring.com/mmm.htm

It is a 3M product and I like it a lot. I have never used it to hold a yaw
string on, but I imagine it would work. It is mainly purchased by owners of
gliders that are colors other than white for use as wing gap seal tape.

Good Soaring,

Paul Remde
Cumulus Soaring, Inc.
http://www.cumulus-soaring.com

"Bruno" wrote in message
ups.com...
I have seen a few gliders that had yaw strings attached with something
other than the white tape most of us use. It was either a clear tape
or clear sticker. If any of you use something other than the white
tape to attach your yaw string please share what you use. Thanks!

60 Year Old Duct Tape Jay Honeck Piloting 11 January 15th 06 06:52 PM
Gap Tape TJ Soaring 0 October 22nd 05 04:18 AM
Teflon gap seal tape... Marc Ramsey Soaring 10 April 3rd 05 04:35 PM
BrandNew-Vector Heavy Duty Plastic Construction Tape Dispenser 13 Peaces Left [email protected] Aviation Marketplace 0 April 29th 04 11:43 PM
TURBULATOR TAPE ON VENTUS B Ventus B Soaring 5 February 18th 04 08:27 PM